Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What assumptions did you have when you read usernames of other members?

Dumuzi... I have been pronouncing that wrong for four years... this is gonna take quite an effort to correct.

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
    ok this one's compleatly lost on me hahaha
    Best guess on how my mind works? Kahl=caul. +d +n = cauldron. Now I have an image of a playful alchemist over a cauldron.. that's really not gonna work out. Next option? Colander. And you're definitely not a strainer. Remember, it's simply a very first impression/reaction.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
      Anyone who has a God/deity/well-known spirit's name or some variant thereof, wtf were we thinking?
      And this from a woman who herself uses what sounds like a phonetic version of Persephone? :=S:

P.S. What were you thinking?
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
        Dumuzi... I have been pronouncing that wrong for four years... this is gonna take quite an effort to correct.
        No no. You might be right, I really don't know what the correct pronunciation is. Was just saying how it sounded in my head.
        [4:82]

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post

Best guess on how my mind works? Kahl=caul. +d +n = cauldron. Now I have an image of a playful alchemist over a cauldron.. that's really not gonna work out. Next option? Colander. And you're definitely not a strainer. Remember, it's simply a very first impression/reaction.

hahah nah nah its fine not a problem just wondered how you came to the couldron thing hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
            In my head it sounds like doomoozee. Not sure if that's the correct pronunciation though.
            Yay I've been saying it right! Haha
            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
            Seen the desert and the birds
            You cut your hair short
            Like a shush to an insult
            The world had been yelling
            Since the day you were born
            Revolting with anger
            While it smiled like it was cute
            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
              Yay I've been saying it right! Haha
              I've been way off! Possibly the worst. I was reading it as, Dumootsee (Dʌmʊt'si: ). I guess because I was learning German when I re-joined this forum, so was used to reading 'z' as 'ts'.
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                I've been way off! Possibly the worst. I was reading it as, Dumootsee (Dʌmʊt'si: ). I guess because I was learning German when I re-joined this forum, so was used to reading 'z' as 'ts'.
                You're not alone. :P
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Guys, for the 235432344th time. I have no idea what the correct pronunciation is. Just say it which ever way you want

Or you know ... you can call me Daddy.
                  [4:82]

Comment

Guys, for the 235432344th time. I have no idea what the correct pronunciation is. Just say it which ever way you want

o.O Well then lol

As for any assumptions for names, I don't know for me. Honestly it's more a "oh hey, that's their name on here, cool"
                    Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                    Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                    sigpic

Comment

So, D, I looked it up. Man I love google.
                      One place says DOO-moo-zee
                      the other: duːmʊzi
                      There was one site that had the pronunciation in a little vocal box thing, but I couldn't get it to work.
                      So, there we go.lol
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

*shakes head*
                        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                        Seen the desert and the birds
                        You cut your hair short
                        Like a shush to an insult
                        The world had been yelling
                        Since the day you were born
                        Revolting with anger
                        While it smiled like it was cute
                        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                          heh I love it. I've been trying to think of something other than corvus since I've sorta moved away from what it represents in my life but I cant think of anything. I guess corvus has just become me ^^;

I try not to judge too much based on names but I assumed a few things sometimes
                          V I thought was a rock nut since volcano- and clastic is a kind of rock (volcanic rock I think)
                          Thal has a thing for water since her name is sea in greek
                          caelia I thought was something deep and spiritual which I knew not of from some ancient myth. Come to think of it I still don't know what it means.
                          Perz I thought the z was odd but maybe she wanted to seem more hip? probably someone who's dealt with Persephone.
                          Bjorn something Slavic or shamanistic?
                          Hawkfeathers bird lover
                          Gardenia flower lover
                          Junpier ... well I still think of the Juniper tree story which just leads me down a whole train of thought which is better left unthought
                          Dakini Rose Isnt Dakini a tantric goddess? maybe this person does yoga
                          I see Corvus, I just think of the Underworld movie. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                            I see Corvus, I just think of the Underworld movie. :P
                            Have to admit that's what I tend to think of first when I see that name. Sort of wonder is it a werewolf, vampire or the head of the family that has to clean up the messes of the kids.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                              Have to admit that's what I tend to think of first when I see that name. Sort of wonder is it a werewolf, vampire or the head of the family that has to clean up the messes of the kids.
                              I kind of wished they'd expand on Alexander's story, actually. He seemed like an interesting character!
                              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                              Sneak Attack
                              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
                                I kind of wished they'd expand on Alexander's story, actually. He seemed like an interesting character!
                                That would have filled the story out more. Figure if Michael is a descendant of his then he had to have fathered other children. Which potentially would mean other "Creatures" might be based from his line as well as so called normal people.
                                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Working...
                                X