Heh, Fox News is at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heh, Fox News is at it again

Satire has a point to teach, and parody wishes to make you laugh, but ignorance seeks only to breed more of itself.
    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

My mother is a Fox News fan. She also loves Rush, making car rides unbearable. She is very anti-non- Christians and once made a comment to me about atheist need to leave America. She is pro-military so I asked her if that included atheist in the service, she said how many are there really? I said your son one. She shut up. Once she was going on at an Easter Egg hunt about Jesus so I said, too bad the unsaved kids go to hell huh? She cried cause I spoiled her day.

My problem with my mother more than any of that is she has never read the Bible, I have at least once. She doesn't go to church, I did "religiously" as in five times a week for three years. She is one of those Culture Christians. Who are raised in Christian homes and say they are Christian but don't do anything spiritual. Yet she is a fundamental as it gets. If your going to talk up or criticize a religion at least learn some FACTS about it.

Let me add I don't think that made me a better person or Christian when I did it. I was really interested in being more spiritual at the time. Course it lead to my leaving the church, he he. Plenty of good folks and devout Christians never enter a church. I was just saying if you are going to practice at least read the book or know some tenants.
      Last edited by Ula; 20 Feb 2013, 08:18. Reason: add some stuff

Comment

^
        hehe
        Granddaddy was a preacher and I can quote some serious scripture. I've known folks like your mom, and interestingly enough quoting scripture goes absolutely nowhere. They know what they know and the bible be damned. It is baffling to me, but there it is.
        p.s. and they won't let you show them in the bible or read it with them -- they don't have to -- they know.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

A lot of Christians are surprisingly uneducated about their religions. I was when I was a "devout" Christian. 'Course, I wasn't what you would call a fundamentalist anywhere past age 11. I started looking around the internets and it opened my mind. Not long after I realized I was very ignorant about my religion. So I picked up a Bible to start educating myself. I was going to read it cover to cover. It didn't take long before I ran across some unsavory passages (Yaweh telling his people to commit a genocide against a tribe of pagans, etc. etc.) and realized that the religion I was raised in was not what I thought it to be at all, and this Yaweh character seemed pretty foul now that I was reading up on his background.
          So yeah, sometimes reading the Bible can be a pretty good cure for fundamentalism and Biblical literalism, haha.
          Plenty of good folks are Christian, though, no doubting that.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
            I hate to always be the one to point this out, but I have a forked tongue and can't help it...

Fox audience is not necessarily stupid, ignorant, or loony. I frequently read through the Fox web news (OK, I am loony, I will admit that much), specifically to get another view of issues. Their business section and commentaries are worth reading, even if one doesn't agree with them - unless people fear that they will somehow become contaminated with Foxyness. What one does get by doing this is a much broader, deeper, more honest, and more realistic view of what is going on in the world, and what people think about it.

In truth, their business news is MUCH superior to the general blablabla mush I read in other popular news business sections.

Honestly, if people spend all their time looking at only what they already agree with, they may just as well go back to sleep because they've never bothered to wake up.

That being said, it is true that Fox is frequently so over-the-top that it becomes comic. Not much problem with becoming contaminated when you're laughing.
            Exactly. It is the group mentality that creates the stupidity. Watching ONLY Fox is one of the badges of honor for true conservatives -- anything reported anywhere else is automatically suspect. Now, individually they will concede point by point that Fox "mispreported" one thing, then another, then another, etc., but membership in the group of true conservatives requires that Fox be acknowledged as the ONLY reliable news source. It is the group that is stupid. Dare to step away from the "beacon of truth" that is Fox and you may be branded a RINO <shudder>. These are people in my family. I know them well and they are by no means stupid as individuals, but they have placed membership in this particular group so close to their center that they would rather believe a lie, even when they know it is a lie, than let that identity go. Very Orwellian.

As far as business news -- Bloomberg, baby.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
              Exactly. It is the group mentality that creates the stupidity. Watching ONLY Fox is one of the badges of honor for true conservatives -- anything reported anywhere else is automatically suspect. Now, individually they will concede point by point that Fox "mispreported" one thing, then another, then another, etc., but membership in the group of true conservatives requires that Fox be acknowledged as the ONLY reliable news source. It is the group that is stupid. Dare to step away from the "beacon of truth" that is Fox and you may be branded a RINO <shudder>. These are people in my family. I know them well and they are by no means stupid as individuals, but they have placed membership in this particular group so close to their center that they would rather believe a lie, even when they know it is a lie, than let that identity go. Very Orwellian.

As far as business news -- Bloomberg, baby.
              Oh yeah... I know those folks... the ones who don't realize that Rush Limbaugh is merely an obnoxious comedian, and imagine he should be taken seriously (that would be my dad, for instance. In other ways, dad's a good guy ).

Reuters is good too.
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Being that I grew up in a Christian environment,and was "Forced" to memorize bible text and recite it in the church,I kinda know it by heart. It always gets me when someone trying to "Convert" me quotes something from the bible and I have to correct them as to what is really in that passage. Yeh,if you are going to try and "Convert" me then please get it right. It makes you look foolish to who ever you are preaching to.
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

...he apologized
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

For real or the tongue in cheek version that I'll regret looking at?

EDIT:

Nevermind, saw it. Wasn't as bad as I was half expecting. I'd be happier if the rest of the staff were making it alongside him but it could have been worse.
                    Last edited by MaskedOne; 23 Feb 2013, 14:12.
                    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

"Wiccans never bothered me, or tried to control my life.."

Is he implying that they are doing so now? Either way it sounds reasonable enough as far as apologies go.
                      Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Well thank god. I feel so much better now.

/sarc
                        Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                        -Erik Erikson

Comment

Well, one empty apology down. The world is our oyster :P

Comment

The general gist of the program was that Wiccans (they lumped pagans in total under one - incorrect - term) are obnoxiously forcing themselves on a much larger (by proportion) Christian society.

Here's a fun paradox:

The harsher Wiccans/pagans/et al. react to the inaccuracies or prejudices displayed in the program, the more it will look to outsiders (those who don't actually know much about pagans) as if that program were correct.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Valid point.

I'm just irritable because I rembering being annoyed with two or three individuals yet I just watched an apology that implied only one man was in the wrong. It may be a case of not seeing the rest of the clip with the apology or I may be misremembering the original clip but I'd have been happier with a group apology. I don't feel Tucker was the only one in error.

That said, I refuse to claim the title of Pagan so the apology wasn't directed at me and outside a general interest in courtesy really isn't my business.

EDIT:

Rewatched the original clip, yes Tucker was the worst of the lot. No, I don't find the other guy's behaviour entirely appropriate. I still would have been more impressed with a group apology.
                              Last edited by MaskedOne; 23 Feb 2013, 17:35.
                              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

And now, one would have to assume that all those people screaming "persecution" are enjoying their success in forcing an apology out of one insignificant threat.

I know that I don't speak for others in this (in fact, I much prefer folks to think and speak for themselves, but I digress) but I would like to extend an apology to Tucker.

Sorry, Tucker, that your naive stupidity had to be pointed out by a pretentious lynch mob.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Working...
                                X