Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convenstead territorial pissings; or a funny way of seeing things.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convenstead territorial pissings; or a funny way of seeing things.

Originally posted by shadow1982 View Post
    I would be inclined to assume the same. A covenstead is generally just the place a coven most often meets, they don't necessarily own rights to that area.
    My mom lives in an area where there are at least 5 churches within a quarter mile radius. I am not kidding. Her backyard borders a Kingom Hall. Next to them is some other Church (I don't remember this one, for some reason). Down the street is a Prodestant Church. A Lutheran Church, the other direction and the 5th one also escapes me.

I often imagine Epic Rap Battles of History scenarios...
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Sounds like my neighborhood. Within 8 blocks in any direction there's a Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, and a Baptist church. There might even be more now, they keep popping up like daisies. o.0

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        It's worth remembering that people can claim whatever they like, but that doesn't make it true. And you don't have to accept their claims either. As others have mentioned, it may just be poor communication on their part, but if it makes you feel uneasy then it's certainly worth checking out exactly what they had in mind.
        That's what I plan to do. Thanks for the insight. If they claim the league radius, well.. not sure how I'll react to that. I don't think they'll be mean about it as I'm trying to just assume the best here, even though my overall feeling is quite uneasy.

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
        I wouldn't worry about it myself. A covenstead is just an area that is used as permanent ritual space. Perhaps they have a number of locations in that area. Or perhaps they use that general area as their landbase (just like my personal landbase is about 5 city blocks long of beachfront). Either way, in all likeliness, its no biggie or bearing for you.
        A three mile radius of ritual space means I'm constantly going to have their "sacred area" over my head and I do not like that idea in the slightest. That's the main concern for me. It feels like my magic will be overlaid or tainted by theirs somehow if they really do claim this area as their entire ritual space.

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
        My mom lives in an area where there are at least 5 churches within a quarter mile radius. I am not kidding. Her backyard borders a Kingom Hall. Next to them is some other Church (I don't remember this one, for some reason). Down the street is a Prodestant Church. A Lutheran Church, the other direction and the 5th one also escapes me.

I often imagine Epic Rap Battles of History scenarios...
        Sounds like an awesome neighborhood.

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
        Sounds like my neighborhood. Within 8 blocks in any direction there's a Catholic, Lutheran, Presbyterian, Methodist, and a Baptist church. There might even be more now, they keep popping up like daisies. o.0
        They're everywhere. But it's a bit different if the place is a single building that is used for religious space instead of a three mile radius.

-

All in all, my goals with this are threefold.

1. Find out, first and foremost, if they are somehow "claiming" the three mile radius.
        2. Talk about their borders and what it means to them if there's an overlap.
        3. Stake my own covenstead. I'll be running my Wild Hunt twice this year. I know I'm supposed to do it on the Hunter's Moon, but I figure in case October is too cold (as it often is in my area), I would do one under a similarly meaningful moon.

Number three is the big deal. I was asked by my girlfriend/apprentice, "What if someone's already done a wild hunt there?" and it baffled me a bit. I suppose I could go to the park I intend on Hunting and try to commune with the spirits that live there and see if someone has staked their claim there. But what would it mean if two druidics ran The Wild hunt in the same span of area? I guess it'd be like the area has two best friends, which would be weird of the two friends didn't get along. Which, if the group actually claims the area and tries to tell me that it's their sacred space only, we probably won't. And furthermore, how will they feel when the spirits of the largest park in their area feel more friendly toward a shaman such as myself rather than them?

I don't know. I know I'm overthinking it but I can't help it. This raised up the hairs on the back of my neck!

Comment

The thing is - even if they do claim the space, how the hell do they intend to enforce it? I have hysterical visions of you doing your Wild Hunt being pursued by their Wild Hunt... Maybe that's how legends are born....
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I wouldn.t worry too much about your overlapping spiritually or magically, unless it just worries you then I guess it is what it is. I would personally be glad to have a landbase with a little use on it, rather than starting from scratch as it were. What the important thing is, what you do is your own. The universe will not punish you for being where someone else has been. The world is getting small enough for that to be more and more of a regular occourance. Keep your own intent and goals in mind, or your uneasy thoughts could taint your actions and workings. I would try and think of their possible spiritual workings as more of a support system than a web you need to navigate. I'm not saying you need to build on what they are already doing, but more that you need to do a bit of live and let live, regardless of their answer. Hope that helps!
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

If I were to hazard a guess, with no prior information, my first guess would be that the 3 mile radius encompasses all of the homes of the members of the coven... thus their "Covenstead" is the area where they all live.
              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                If I were to hazard a guess, with no prior information, my first guess would be that the 3 mile radius encompasses all of the homes of the members of the coven... thus their "Covenstead" is the area where they all live.
                That implies that there are alot of them, which could be a good thing...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                  That implies that there are alot of them, which could be a good thing...
                  not necessarily. It just means that they don't all live right next to each other.

Where I grew up, a 3 mile radius would have covered my family and our "next door neighbors".
                  "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

My previous coven's 'covenstead' was the house and property of the HP and HPS. That was it. O.o What are you expecting, a fiefdom?

Comment

Working...
                    X