How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

I always hated both parts of my first name together. I go by the first part of my name which is Quin. That's what everyone calls me.
    But then, they can also call me by the second half of my name. Either can be used on it's own. I dont know what Quin means. BUt the other half of my name means Anastasia.
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I'm quite fine with it. It sounds refined, hard to make fun of, has a decent meaning, and it sounds strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Heka View Post
        I still have not taken my husbands name. Mostly because I'm sick of people TELLING me to change it. It's making me rebel. Also I don't want to be Mrs ..........., that's his mother and I don't like her all that much, plus I'm a teacher so I would be called that many times a day. And finally because ,y brother and I are the only ...... Of our line left in Australia. I want to hold onto it for a bit more.
        Don't feel bad, I feel the exact same way. Though, any time I was on base I was constantly called my husbands last name simply cause they were too lazy to ever ask, which was frustrating because I kept having to remind myself "oh, wait...they're talking to ME not to him"

Over the years though, I've really come to love my name. Its unique. My mother made it up specifically for ME to be named after my father. Can it be annoying to watch people stumble over it? Sure, but oh well. Is it mildly irritating to never be able to find my name on stuff like the keychains or whatever? Occasionally if I find something really cool and have to be disappointed. But it's MY name. Very few people have it (the only few that I've found were born way after me and are black [wtf?])
        Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
        Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
        sigpic

Comment

I would want to change my name to Anastasia, and use some part of it for a nickname.
          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

I've always hated my first and last name. My first name is Jessica, but most people call me Jessie (which is okay, I guess. Kinda like the heroine from The Queen of the Damned). But 'Jessica' is just beyond dull. There's nothing pretty about it, and it hits the ear awkwardly. I hate it all the more because my dad is such a traditional conformist who thinks boys should have plain old boy names that can't be mistaken for girl names, and likewise for girls. My mother liked the name Taryn (which I think would have been cool), but my dad insisted on something completely common and undistinguished. And who the heck wants their kid to be common and undistinguished? Dx To this day, I cringe whenever someone uses my full name. Growing up, the only time anyone used it was when I was in trouble. Parents, grandparents, teachers. I always think someone's mad at me when they use it.

I'm really thinking about taking my grandmother's surname.

Comment

I like my name. Frist and last. The first is very common, but that doesn't bother me. My last name is also common but an unusual spelling that results in mispronunciations. My last name also gets confused as a first name fairly frequently. But I've never wanted to change either.
              "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

My real first name is middle Swedish for Dragon, so I like that, since its cool I guess.

My last name is one that goes right back to my old English roots and is the name that my family represented their lordship with. So I really like it because of the history behind it, and the roots I have in it.
                White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                sigpic
                In Days of yore,
                From Britain's shore
                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                On Canada's fair domain.
                Here may it wave,
                Our boast, our pride
                And joined in love together,
                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

I was born to the name "Nathan Scott Pinkerton."

I have since been given the names "Pink," and "Nate."

Nathan: Hebrew name, means "Gift of God." Great for corny jokes: "hey babe, I am literally "God's gift to women (...and everyone else)"", but honestly, I don't believe in any gods, and I don't care what it means in Hebrew,... it is what I am called.
                  Scott: My Dad is called Scott, even though Scott is his middle name. For a time, I considered being called "Scott" (my middle name), like my dad, but thought better of it, for fear of being called "Junior."
                  Pinkerton: When you get to your surname, you get to the ultimate level of unchangeability (as a male)... yet you find the greatest level of connectedness, desired or not. My surname has some important history. I chose to embrace it... it's not like I have much choice.

"Pink" was a nickname that was given me in high school and, I wore on my football helmet. "Pink," was a name I chose to own.

"Nate"... not so much.

I can't say why I accept "Pink," but not "Nate." It is simple preference. I just don't like "Nate."

I've been given 5 names. I like 80% of them.

Or, you might say, I've been given 3 names, and 2 nicknames.

I like 100% of my given names and 50% of my nicknames.

but don't get me started on people who try to convince me that "Nathan" is actually a nickname for "Nathaniel"... I get this often... and I've actually been told, "If you looked at your birth certificate, you'd see that your name is actually 'Nathaniel.'"... And this by someone who has actually SEEN my birth certificate, and thus, should know that my name is actually, "Nathan."
                  "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

I felt sure I had posted in this thread, but it isn't coming up as a thread with new posts in my settings, so I guess I didn't.

I like my name. It serves a purpose. I remember being 15 years old and trying to come up with a 'magical name' because of course, you MUST have a magical name if you want to be a witch (well, when you're 15 ^^). I was into stones then too, so wanted a name with something to do with crystals. I thought Crystal was pretty obvious, and also Gemma.. then I thought, wait a moment... (my name IS Jemma, with a J).

Of course I'd have liked to have an unusual name like my sister (Larissa), but apparently Gemma was rare in 82, and just experienced a boom in the years that followed. I must admit I have only ever met 2 Gemma's older than me, and both just a few years older, so I believe my mum. I like that mine is with a J too, because when I was in Germany, some people pronounced it the German way and called me 'Yemma', which was like getting a new name.
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I like my first name, but I didn't like my surname so I changed it, and gave myself a middle name while I was at it.

Comment

In early days i was feeling a bit now satisfied with it but now it has become cool

Comment

Originally posted by Starless View Post
                          I've always hated my first and last name. My first name is Jessica, but most people call me Jessie (which is okay, I guess. Kinda like the heroine from The Queen of the Damned). But 'Jessica' is just beyond dull. There's nothing pretty about it, and it hits the ear awkwardly. I hate it all the more because my dad is such a traditional conformist who thinks boys should have plain old boy names that can't be mistaken for girl names, and likewise for girls. My mother liked the name Taryn (which I think would have been cool), but my dad insisted on something completely common and undistinguished. And who the heck wants their kid to be common and undistinguished? Dx To this day, I cringe whenever someone uses my full name. Growing up, the only time anyone used it was when I was in trouble. Parents, grandparents, teachers. I always think someone's mad at me when they use it.

I'm really thinking about taking my grandmother's surname.
                          I really like the name Jessica ^.^ All Jessicas I have met have been beautiful, lovely ladies. My cousin not least of all! I like the way it sounds in all forms.. Jess, Jessie, Jessica. I like j's and ah's. That's probably why.

I'm Kellie. Until I was 13, I didn't like my name much. Then I went to a high school with 7 other girls in my class with the same name. After I heard how it sounded on other people, I decided I liked it XD

Supposedly, Kellie has Irish roots and means 'warrior' or something similar. I'm a pretty unlikely warrior, but I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azvanna View Post
                            I really like the name Jessica ^.^ All Jessicas I have met have been beautiful, lovely ladies. My cousin not least of all! I like the way it sounds in all forms.. Jess, Jessie, Jessica. I like j's and ah's. That's probably why.

I'm Kellie. Until I was 13, I didn't like my name much. Then I went to a high school with 7 other girls in my class with the same name. After I heard how it sounded on other people, I decided I liked it XD

Supposedly, Kellie has Irish roots and means 'warrior' or something similar. I'm a pretty unlikely warrior, but I'll take it.
                            I've always liked the name Kelly, or Kellie . I've had a very good track record with befriending people with that name.
                            hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

How do I feel about my name?
                              Bleedin' ecstatic at the moment.
                              But that is probably because I have just been drinking pear cider. *hic*
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

It annoyed me a bit as a kid because my name is super common for my age group. Stephanie, born in 89 around the time it was at the height of it's popularity for girls. When I was in school it was the whole thing of the teacher calling "Stephanie" and 5+ girls would say "Here!" but over all I like it. I've gotten used to the fact it's so popular, or was in the 80s and 90s, but I still like it anyway. It means crown and garland. Not sure what to think of that really but it's not a bad meaning, just not sure on me actually wearing a crown or garland lol.

It goes well with my middle name too. My surname though is a pain. Most people keep adding letters that are not there and stuff...there is no K, or R or L in my last name so I don't know why people keep wanting to add letters. Actually there is no K, R or L in my name at all...and yet...also my dad and I don't get a long really....so that kind of puts another damper on how I feel about my last name.

My middle name is super common as well, or at least it seems that way when every women I know has the same middle name, it was my mom's too and I like it though. Goes well with Stephanie. My fiance, we're not technically married yet (may as well be though, money issues or we'd already be, already wearing the rings to) but when it's official, his last name is really, really common. At least my current last name isn't common but for the reasons already stated i'll be ecstatic to change it! Even if there will be many of me running around so to speak lol. There is still only one me. So i'm happy!
                                Last edited by Wickedjr89; 18 Sep 2013, 23:22.

Comment

Working...
                                X