How do you feel about your name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do you feel about your name?

Mine is a bit ironic I suppose. Christopher... meaning "christ-bearer, bearer of christ, one who bears christ", like saint Christopher the holy giant.... aw well. Its my name and i've never known anything else, works just as good as any other ig.

Comment

I love my birth name as it means Melanija/Dark and my last name (undisclosed) means Wave. My name is Dark Wave. Auseklis is my traditional Dievturi name which means Venus and light-bringer. In my family we also have a names-day (like a second birthday) so I am happy about my family tradition of naming and Dievturi name.
      My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

When I was a kid I hated my name. Kendall is pretty unique and rarely a girls name. Needless to say I got made fun of a lot in school because of it, Barbie and Ken-Doll they used to call me...I wasn't impressed. -.- Now that I'm older though I absolutely love it! I'm happy that it's unique and I feel like it truly fits my personality. Also it means "from the bright valley" which I find very cool. All in all I'm so thankful that my dad pick my name, otherwise I would have been Kira and that does not fit me at all!

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
          When I was a kid I hated my name. Kendall is pretty unique and rarely a girls name. Needless to say I got made fun of a lot in school because of it, Barbie and Ken-Doll they used to call me...I wasn't impressed. -.- Now that I'm older though I absolutely love it! I'm happy that it's unique and I feel like it truly fits my personality. Also it means "from the bright valley" which I find very cool. All in all I'm so thankful that my dad pick my name, otherwise I would have been Kira and that does not fit me at all!
          It is a beautiful name! Kids are so cruel sometimes and it makes you wonder what type of parenting they came from to harbor such bitterness.
          My posts are generally sent from my cell fone. Please excuse my brevity, and spelling/grammar errors.

Comment

I've seen my name, Trudie, mean either Spear of Strength or Spear Maiden. For the longest time, I didn't think it fit me much but I have a lot of inner strength so now I really appreciate it and feel like it kinda speaks of my own strength, a little.
            Wild Witchy Dusk | TwitterMy Art Blog | My Deviantart

Comment

I have a very old first name. Dutch tradition is, you name the first son after the grandfather. So, I was named Gilbert. I have never gone by that name and nobody calls me that but doctors and judges.

So now, I work at a call center, and since my legal first name is Gilbert, I have to use that name on calls. It took me months to get used to it. And now that I am, I like that fact that it's unique.

Since my names are all from my family's history, I have decided that they are special enough to keep.

Comment

Originally posted by Terrabus View Post
                I have a very old first name. Dutch tradition is, you name the first son after the grandfather. So, I was named Gilbert. I have never gone by that name and nobody calls me that but doctors and judges.

So now, I work at a call center, and since my legal first name is Gilbert, I have to use that name on calls. It took me months to get used to it. And now that I am, I like that fact that it's unique.

Since my names are all from my family's history, I have decided that they are special enough to keep.
                It's a great name and it would be interesting to know what it means? Have you looked it up?

Comment

Originally posted by Auseklis View Post
                  It is a beautiful name! Kids are so cruel sometimes and it makes you wonder what type of parenting they came from to harbor such bitterness.
                  Thank you! I'm very glad for it now! I agree though, it makes me sad looking back on it, not because I was made fun of but because I wonder what made those children so cruel.

Comment

I quite like my name. Kimberly is easily shortened and I now associate it with my art.
                    Kim is casual and what my friends call me, and Kimberly is for business.

I also have the luck of being able to choose my second name because when my better half and I get married we are going to choose our own name. He isn't a fan of his father's or step-fathers names and I don't really want him to take mine so we have time to come up with something new. It's actually really really hard :P But We'll think hard about it.
                    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by Jinx View Post
                      That is what my up and coming niece is going to be named. I think its a beautiful name, if anybody bullies her for it I'll be going to the parents ASAP pronto. Parents need to keep tabs on their nasty ass kids sometimes.
                      White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                      sigpic
                      In Days of yore,
                      From Britain's shore
                      Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                      And planted firm Britannia's flag
                      On Canada's fair domain.
                      Here may it wave,
                      Our boast, our pride
                      And joined in love together,
                      The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                      The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

Umm...Bright Pledge? It's an old Germanic name.

Comment

Rick (Anglicized version of Rik), from the German, means 'strong chieftain,' which is pretty cool. But the best thing I like about my name is that my Mama gave it to me.
                          I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                          Tribe of my Tribe
                          Clan of my Clan
                          Kin of my Kin
                          Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                          And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Personally, I really like my name. It suits me, especially in its full form.

Charles Robert _________ III

Charles is Germanic in origin, and it means manly/farmer. Charlemagne is my unintended namesake.
                            Robert is also Germanic. It's meaning is one of light.
                            My surname translates into painter or decorator in Old French.

My daily name is Robbie, but at work or other professional environments I always introduce myself as Charles.

My brothers and mom all have Jewish/Christian names. So as a pagan I'm kind of happy that I dodged that bullet.

Comment

Eh, I'm okay with my name. Only problem is that it doesn't fit me. Hannah means "Grace of God" and well, I kinda don't like that about my name very much. I prefer "Grace of Toothless." :P

Comment

My name is one of those where no one ever calls you by your full name, and just a nickname version of it. I honestly want to change my name and get it shortened just for that purpose, because the only reason I'll ever use my full name is for legal purposes.

Comment

Working...
                                X