Celebs want pagan Handfasting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Celebs want pagan Handfasting.

I personally don't see why a budget wedding even needs to be mentioned in an Article. She should have just kept it a private declaration of their love.

Sure, if you're doing this big glamorous wedding, that makes sense with it being announced. But, a budget wedding that is small and personal doesn't really need to be news. I'm pretty sure if it is getting reported, then the reporter understands the signifigance of a Handfasting more then she does.
    Kemetic Blog - http://www.inspiringrainbow.wordpress.com

Bring your grains of Salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Domiel View Post
      I personally don't see why a budget wedding even needs to be mentioned in an Article.
      Asides from it being a common thing to ask about?

Budget doesn't equal "lesser" or "bad". There's nothing to be ashamed of so no reason not to mention it.
      "The doer alone learneth." -- Friedrich Nietzsche

Comment

Originally posted by Vigdisdotter View Post
        Asides from it being a common thing to ask about?

Budget doesn't equal "lesser" or "bad". There's nothing to be ashamed of so no reason not to mention it.

It is a common thing to ask about, but the celebrity world is different. I didn't mean to imply that "budget" was equaling a "Lesser" or "Bad" thing, and I agree there is nothing to be ashamed of with a budget wedding. But what I don't understand, is why it is worthy of even writing an article about. Except to maybe poke at the general pagan culture/populations.

Comment

But what I don't understand, is why it is worthy of even writing an article about.
          Because it's an article about the life/doings of this actress. She's getting married. Interviewer: "Oh! What can you tell us about that?" Saying it's a handfasting is explaining what is being done, not taking a potshot at anything.

Why are you looking to feel slighted? It's already been pointed out in the thread that handfasting has a christian origin, not a pagan one.

Comment

I don't actually feel slighted at all, I just am not the best at communication.

Basically, I don't understand why it is a big deal to begin with. I can see your point, but I am probably not conveying mine really well. It's a Celebrity, who probably doesn't know much about how it'd affect people within the pagan community, or doesn't even understand how vast the pagan community is. The author of this article probably understood it far more then she did, and I don't understand why the author would write about it, and I pretty much won't ever get the point. She can explain it to the reporter, but it was the reporter's choice to include however much detail they felt they needed. It seems to me that they are making a big deal out of something that isn't a big deal.

I also don't understand why other's would even feel slighted by it to begin with (but that's not me being a jerk about those who do feel slighted. I don't get why they do, but that doesn't mean I mind it. Just don't understand it.) Especially if it's been established that it was originally a christian thing. If the origin is christian, then it's no different then a small low budget christian wedding, it's just a little more original.

Also, why would a reporter announce something so small, when the person doing it wouldn't have all the accomodations for the other celebs who undoubtably would want to go and witness their joining?

Just my way of seeing it.

Comment

Basically, I don't understand why it is a big deal to begin with.
              People commenting on how it's somehow disrespectful to paganism are making it a "big deal". If no one commented on it, it really wouldn't be any kind of deal.

It's a Celebrity, who probably doesn't know much about how it'd affect people within the pagan community, or doesn't even understand how vast the pagan community is.
              Frankly that idea right there bugs the you know what out of me.

This isn't limited to paganism or pagans. It's an attitude that results in my wanting to shake people.

I am myself. I choose what does and doesn't affect me. I live my life based on how *I* see things, not how other people do. What a celebrity does or do, knows or doesn't know, in no way impacts on the validity of MY ideas or MY practice. And to be very honest, when I see the phrasing you employed, I wince. I could go on at length about this as it's way more than a pet-peeve of mine, but I don't want to derail the thread.

In a nutshell, while the announcement/reasoning might be mildly eyeroll inducing, I really don't see it as something that has an impact on anyone but those involved in the ceremony.

I don't understand why the author would write about it, and I pretty much won't ever get the point
              Because people WANT to know what celebrities are doing. That's why they read articles about them. Why WOULDN'T the reporter include it?

I also don't understand why other's would even feel slighted by it to begin with
              Did you not read your own post? Why did you assume the mention of the handfasting in the article was to "poke at the general pagan culture/populations"?

Also, why would a reporter announce something so small, when the person doing it wouldn't have all the accomodations for the other celebs who undoubtably would want to go and witness their joining?
              Again, why WOULDN'T the reporter do so? Announcing that X is happening with Y couple isn't an invitation for Joe Blow to go and attend. It's information on life events of the person being interviewed/covered in the article. Just because you see it as "so small" doesn't mean it lacks interest for anyone else.

Comment

I see.

Well, You're missing my point entirely, and deciding to nit pick at my words in a way that I personally hate. I voiced my opinion, and I stand by it. But this conversation has gotten somewhat pointless for me. So! That being said; Apologies if I offended you or anybody else, and have a nice day.

Comment

I see.

Well, You're missing my point entirely
                  Then explain it to me. I'm here to discuss the subject of the thread, a subject I find rather odd, to be perfectly honest.

and deciding to nit pick at my words in a way that I personally hate
                  I'm not nit picking. I'm back-quoting for a) clarity and b) because I have tracking issues and this method of posting is an effective way to make sure I don't mix up what is said where and by whom. But if my coping methods for my learning disability is really worthy of your hate, well now you know how I post. Feel free not to respond to me in the future.

Comment

Working...
                  X