Greatest fears.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Greatest fears.

Wow Heka, Snap!! That's the only animal I really don't like (although I draw the line at killing them). I'm not keen on earwigs either, but I know they're harmless, so can tolerate them. Even wasps, while I'll avoid upsetting them, don't bother me*, but centipedes. Millipedes.. not a problem, but ever since I lived in an area populated with giant centipedes with enough venom to actually do some harm (fatal to some people, but then you can say that of bees I guess), I've developed an aversion to them. I used to love gardening but I'm scared to dig in the soil now.

*With the exception of the giant hornet. There was once one trying to get through the screen door at my apartment in Ikuta. When I moved, it moved, and it was at head height, so it was deliberately following my face. I was really scared it could chew through the mesh, but the glass doors slid behind the fly screen, so there was nothing I could do without opening the screen. I hid in my bedroom and text my roommates to let them know I was being held hostage by a monstrous beast, some kind of mechanoid no doubt. They thought it was funny, considering I was always the one to remove cockroaches and even gejigeji (actually a type of centipede, but looks enough like a spider for me to just about tolerate).

A few months after returning home, I saw 'the worlds deadliest bugs' and not only was the giant hornet featured, they were filmed in bloomin' Ikuta Park of all places, which was within walking distance from where I lived!

- - - Updated - - -

I just thought.. considering we have Australians and Americans on here, the wines of a sheltered Brit are probably laughable. I forget how lucky we are to live in a climate that doesn't really suit large insects. Then again, I have a love-hate relationship with insects (I love large, bulky beetles like dynastids, shield bugs and stag beetles especially), so I guess I also miss out on this island.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Nope. They can die. Everything else must live, centipedes must die.

Other things startle me, like "HOLY SHIT THERE"S A GIANT SPIDER! Oh look a giant spider How furry and cute. Just don't sneak up on me!'

haha
      ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
      Seen the desert and the birds
      You cut your hair short
      Like a shush to an insult
      The world had been yelling
      Since the day you were born
      Revolting with anger
      While it smiled like it was cute
      That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Greatest fears...
        From a nightmare I used to have all the time as a kid, I used to be afraid of being eaten alive by rats in bed, but I've pretty much gotten over that.
        Right now, my greatest fear is not having money. Always a constant struggle, paycheck to paycheck. Ugh.

Comment

*hisses* Damn,rats.
          "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

1. Not living up to my own unrealistic standards for myself <--- greatest fear
            2. the dark
            3. mirrors in the dark
            4. going down stairs in the dark
            5. spiders, scorpions, or wasps - because I think it's stupid that something smaller than my hand can kill me
            6. one day, I will wake up, want children, and not be able to have them.

Mostly art.

Comment

Murky water, deep water, rapids, or really any sort of water that can be hiding something or that I could drown in.
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Room 101, even before I knew what it was...

... and being in the dark outside without a knife.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Spiders... I don't like them, I freak out when I see pictures or on TV... I don't like the little buggers, they make pretty webs and eat other bugs, that's great, I still don't wanna be anywhere near em.
                  http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                  ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                    4. going down stairs in the dark.
                    Omg I'm scared of stairs too! Not so much in the dark, in the light too! I just don't like them. I'm waiting to wake up in hospital every time I stand at the top, escalators too!
                    ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                    Seen the desert and the birds
                    You cut your hair short
                    Like a shush to an insult
                    The world had been yelling
                    Since the day you were born
                    Revolting with anger
                    While it smiled like it was cute
                    That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Poisonous insects. Because they have a pretty easy time hiding and can kill you fairly quickly. And anything that I could confuse for a poisonous insect.

The dark (and especially the monsters hiding under my bed in the dark). I actually have had issues with panic attacks because of this. Or the monster hiding behind the shower curtain which I why I will always have the shower curtain open when I'm in the bathroom. And if I'm visiting someone with a fancy shower curtain that they keep closed? I will probably check behind it with sweaty palms every time I go in, and possibly a couple times while I'm in there, just to be sure I didn't miss anything or the monster didn't come up the drain. Completely unreasonable but.. there you go. I deal with it.

Mirrors. Especially my own reflection. No clue why. Well then again... Broken Sky series. The movie Mirrors. etc.

Flushing toilets. Seriously. I used to run out of the bathroom as soon as I flushed the toilet. I think it's a combination of being afraid I would be sucked down when I was little and the fact that it's one of those noises that makes it really difficult to distinguish any other noises for me.. like people sneaking up on me. I don't think I like bathrooms in general, now that I think about it. In fact, taking a shower alone is a bit of trigger for me... Running water, foggy mirror, closed curtain..... see where this is going?
                      We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                      It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                      Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                      -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Going blind.
                        Because one day, I will.
                        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Two big things for me...

1. Watching my friends and loved ones die and not being able to do anything to stop it. I'm fairly certain this one comes from my mother getting diagnosed with ovarian cancer at the age of 8 and watching her slowly die for the next three years and not being able to help her at all.

and 2. Not living up to my own expectations of myself. This one's hard to deal with because we all sometimes (and for some most times) don't live up to where/what we want to be. Or we just flat out don't feel like we're good enough. I'm working to get over this myself, and be where I want to be in life, but its all gotta be in baby steps, which doesn't always feel like its fast enough.
                          Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                          Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                            Going blind.
                            Because one day, I will.
                            This is one of my greatest fears too. I've heard you talk about your eyesight Mrs Penry and it sounds pretty bad. I really hope that I doesn't get any worse.

I'm only 17 and my eyes have been getting worse. I've actually got an appointment to check my eyes again since I think my glasses need to be made stronger. I'm afraid one day I will go blind and not only will I no longer be able to do so many things that I enjoy but also that It'll be impossible for me to enjoy just looking at things. Before I got my glasses I thought everyone saw the world like an impressionist painting. Once I got my glasses it was so amazing to just look at things because I could never have otherwise seen the details unless I put it right in front of my face, which for things like tall trees, insects and clouds is totally impractical. Going blind, or even having severely impaired sight,would be like giving me a taste of what the world looks like before just taking it away again. I haven't seen enough, if I lived to one hundred with this eyesight I still wouldn't have seen enough.
                            Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post

I'm only 17 and my eyes have been getting worse. I've actually got an appointment to check my eyes again since I think my glasses need to be made stronger. I'm afraid one day I will go blind and not only will I no longer be able to do so many things that I enjoy but also that It'll be impossible for me to enjoy just looking at things. Before I got my glasses I thought everyone saw the world like an impressionist painting. Once I got my glasses it was so amazing to just look at things because I could never have otherwise seen the details unless I put it right in front of my face, which for things like tall trees, insects and clouds is totally impractical. Going blind, or even having severely impaired sight,would be like giving me a taste of what the world looks like before just taking it away again. I haven't seen enough, if I lived to one hundred with this eyesight I still wouldn't have seen enough.
                              Big hugs, Corvus. Stay strong - and enjoy this beautiful world!
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Spiders are my second worse fear but I am working through that now using the self therapy of buying a pet tarantula. MY biggest fear is not being strong enough. lately (since i watched the conjouring) i am afraid of demons/ malevolent spirits. I don't know enough about them so i guess the not knowing is what really stirs that fear up for me. I also have a fear of being "weak"

Comment

Working...
                                X