This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You couldn't make it up thread....

Geez. Makes me wonder if I can locate my hospital bills from 1986. Workers' Compensation covered the entire thing but I was given copies, for my records.

I know for sure that those were a HUGE chunk, as well.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

This one:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9051550.html
      And it's not even in the US XD
      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
        This one:http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...e-9051550.html
        And it's not even in the US XD

I...

Just. Wow.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Is this real life?

Now, in 2014, a local government in the West Midlands is preparing to send parents Stewart and Natasha Sutherland to jail because the couple took their three kids on a weeklong vacation near the beginning of the school year. The situation has escalated because the Sutherlands have refused to pay fines mandated by a controversial set of British laws for parents who fail to ensure that kids go to school, reports the Daily Mail. It was the family’s first vacation in five years. The Sutherlands took their brood (Rhiannan, 15;

Comment

Originally posted by Rowanwood View Post

This doesnt surprise me...the school board here talked about fining parents for taking their kids out of school for vacation or holidays. Their rationale was that familes should be paying the district back for being absent. I could see that becoming "taking you to court for owing us $. I mean...6 kids (it was 6, right?), 5 days...thats 20 pounds per kid per day...i think the fine doubling was a bit much...but, hey its fiscally responsible! And, if you couldn't afford the fine? You should hav canx'd the vay-cay!

(Yes, that was sarcasm. No, I'm not serious.)

Needless to say, we have a new (and thankfully less "conservative" read fundy nut jobs) board here...but i dont think they have that option in britain.

Oh, and i'm on my phone so please excuse the typos!
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

It simply appalls me.

Now, schools have taken parents out of kids' education. "Draconian" is right. Break the spirit of our children and make criminals out of us, at the same time. What a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                It simply appalls me.

Now, schools have taken parents out of kids' education. "Draconian" is right. Break the spirit of our children and make criminals out of us, at the same time. What a deal.
                Always vote in local elections - you have far more power near home than you do in Washington...
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                  Always vote in local elections - you have far more power near home than you do in Washington...
                  That simple fact cannot be stressed enough.

School board, city and county boards, public meetings, councils... that's where just one voice of reason can have the greatest impact. There's generally a lot fewer corporate-owned politicians.

Comment

I too believe in the power of voting. If nothing else, it lets 'them' know that we are out there and that we care enough to be heard. And there are so many of us....

One line that always used to get a laugh was 'Don't vote, it only encourages them...'
                    But actually, it's NOT voting that encourages 'them'.

Come back, Guy Fawkes, all is forgiven...
                    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                      I too believe in the power of voting. If nothing else, it lets 'them' know that we are out there and that we care enough to be heard. And there are so many of us....

One line that always used to get a laugh was 'Don't vote, it only encourages them...'
                      But actually, it's NOT voting that encourages 'them'.

Come back, Guy Fawkes, all is forgiven...
                      Vote the bastards out, sez I, every elected politician from dog catcher to pres/PM. Only then will they understand that WE THE PEOPLE are dissatisfied, and we're not gonna take it any more.
                      I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                      Tribe of my Tribe
                      Clan of my Clan
                      Kin of my Kin
                      Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                      And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                        Vote the bastards out, sez I, every elected politician from dog catcher to pres/PM. Only then will they understand that WE THE PEOPLE are dissatisfied, and we're not gonna take it any more.

The problem is that some of them don't suck. Or, they suck less than the other guy.

I say term limits for all, and no more professional politicians--while they serve they should be as beholden to the people as possible AND have to live like the average American. They should get paid the median wage of the people they serve, and (for national politicians) be housed in barracks run by the Army, fed chow on mess decks run by the Navy, and get their medical care thru the VA--with the same per person budget spent on them as the average enlisted service member makes. If they have personal wealth, they shouldn't be able to turn a profit while they are serving the country, and they should be barred from making money off their service for a certain number of years following their term. To top it off, only people should be able to contribute to campaigns, and everyone should only be allowed to donate to the same cap...and, there should be a per capita amount of money that is allowed to be spent.
                        Last edited by thalassa; 17 Jan 2014, 03:49.
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Rape victims of 60 year old priest believe they are preggers by God

I cant. Some. Particularly these religious people are dumb as rocks. Pregger rocks.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Alaska GOP sings in tongues to woman in sauna. Yeah. Just what I said.
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

You know...I would say something clever, but...

I'm going to bed now.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X