Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by Heka View Post
    Ooo you reminded me of one.. we have a town in the south east here called 'nuriootpa' and people always say it wrong. Generally I just call it 'nyoori'.

We also have orroroo. Awesomest name ever.
    Don't even get me started on my shameful mispronunciation of the place names here in Oz...

Mooloolaba, Geelong (which I pronounced "GEE-long" not "Juh-LONG"), Pallamallawa, Oodnadatta, Widgiemooltha, Rupanyup...

But Adelaide...I can prounounce Adelaide...oh, and Sydney - but I actually did mispronounce Melbourne (MEL-born)...

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      What is a word you mispronounce every time?
      Inquiry. It's finally getting a little better, but I simply cannot form the sound. Which is odd, since I'm good at languages, accents, etc.

It annoys me that people in Versailles, KY, say "Ver-sales" instead of "Ver-sigh".
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post

It annoys me that people in Versailles, KY, say "Ver-sales" instead of "Ver-sigh".
        In southern IL, we have New Athens and Vienna (also West Vienna) and Cairo...pronounced (in order) with a long vowel 'a', "vye-enna", and 'cay-roh'

Sometimes I forget which one is the correct pronunciation for their respective locations and namesakes

Also, fajitas. For a long time my brother called the fah-gee-tahs. In his defense, he was 5 and learning phonics. I have no such excuse.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Torey View Post

Don't even get me started on my shameful mispronunciation of the place names here in Oz...

Mooloolaba, Geelong (which I pronounced "GEE-long" not "Juh-LONG"), Pallamallawa, Oodnadatta, Widgiemooltha, Rupanyup...

But Adelaide...I can prounounce Adelaide...oh, and Sydney - but I actually did mispronounce Melbourne (MEL-born)...
          I can say all of those!!!

I have heard someone call Wagga Wagga 'way-gah way-gah' though haha
          ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
          Seen the desert and the birds
          You cut your hair short
          Like a shush to an insult
          The world had been yelling
          Since the day you were born
          Revolting with anger
          While it smiled like it was cute
          That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Also...I live in Norfolk.

Pronounced as a nasally "nah-fik" if you are from the NE, "nore-folk" if you are from West of here, and correctly:

Norfolk - Frequently mispronounced. Properly "NAW-f*k". Really. And make the second syllable as short as possible, almost "fk". Think of, "We don't drink. We don't smoke. Norfolk. Norfolk." If you can make that come out in a humorous manner, you have it exactly right.

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
              Also...I live in Norfolk.

Pronounced as a nasally "nah-fik" if you are from the NE, "nore-folk" if you are from West of here, and correctly:
              I think I say that one properly. Somewhere between nor-fok and naw-fk
              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
              Seen the desert and the birds
              You cut your hair short
              Like a shush to an insult
              The world had been yelling
              Since the day you were born
              Revolting with anger
              While it smiled like it was cute
              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                In southern IL, we have New Athens and Vienna (also West Vienna) and Cairo...pronounced (in order) with a long vowel 'a', "vye-enna", and 'cay-roh'

Sometimes I forget which one is the correct pronunciation for their respective locations and namesakes

Also, fajitas. For a long time my brother called the fah-gee-tahs. In his defense, he was 5 and learning phonics. I have no such excuse.
                I've been through Cairo on my way to KY. I mentioned it to someone here and I said "Ky-ro" as in Egypt. They told me it was the other way and I thought it was weird. I'd forgotten that one!
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Oh, cities. I misprounce a ton of those. Most are on purpose, some aren't.

I live near the town of Monticello, where they say it wrong - "sell-o" - so I bastardize that with a "montee". Little town in Wisconsin named Menomonie... I can't resist calling it "me-no-money", instead. Shakopee, MN gets a special variation from me, as well : "shack-o-piss".

I'm horrible. Once I know how it is prounounced, correctly, I'm quite likelyto find some other way to disrespect proprieties.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Castle Coch in Wales.

I cannot say it without saying 'cock'.

Needless to say, a bus driver embarrassed me.

Mostly art.

Comment

For the record, it's Nevaaaaduh (like apple), not Nevahhduh (like father).

Seriously. Even native Spanish-speakers say it right. Our legislature tried to pass a bill that made it socially acceptable to say 'Nevahhda' and it got voted down.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by Ophidia View Post
                        For the record, it's Nevaaaaduh (like apple), not Nevahhduh (like father).

Seriously. Even native Spanish-speakers say it right. Our legislature tried to pass a bill that made it socially acceptable to say 'Nevahhda' and it got voted down.
                        I general find the soft O version [There's no O in Navada; Navoda? NO!] almost singularly used by people pretending to *be something* or *be someone*. Usually authority- or power-related.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                          I general find the soft O version [There's no O in Navada; Navoda? NO!] almost singularly used by people pretending to *be something* or *be someone*. Usually authority- or power-related.
                          Or it is simply how hey have heard it pronounced all their lives. Don't be too fast to judge. I have never heard it pronounced any other way, three "ah" sounds, and am certainly not trying to be anything other than who I am.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

What is a word you mispronounce every time?
                            I always mispronounce the word "eligible". I say it like "illegible". Also "lapel", which to me rhymes with "maple".

Comment

What type of person were you in high school?
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

What type of person were you in high school?
                                Shy bookworm you probably would of never noticed.

Comment

Working...
                                X