Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    What is something you experienced in your youth that kids today will never experience?
    People picking up the phone when you're on the internet. Developing film (for most of them). The Decipher Star Wars and WARS trading card games :P
    hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

What is something you experienced in your youth that kids today will never experience?
      Playing on delightfully dangerous equipment over asphalt in school playgrounds.
      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
        Milk used to be delivered along with ice cream and other dairy products Gleb...even bread could be gotten by delivery..but those time are gone..sad face...
        Pretty soon you could get all those things delivered once again... By unmanned aerial vehicles.
        Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
          Pretty soon you could get all those things delivered once again... By unmanned aerial vehicles.
          You already can have this done, since Stop and Shop offered their Peapod service, so you can order your entire grocery shopping, and have it delivered. Of course, it isn't by unmanned aerial vehicles.

Comment

Being seen and not heard. Living in a home with one rotary dial telephone, AM radio, and a manual typewriter in the time before the Beatles.
            sigpic
            Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Privacy.

Ladedadeda...
              Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Everyone has been providing such great answers...

"Normal" wasn't so encased in all this safety equipment. We rode our bikes, without a helmet, all day long. We'd use skateboards without elbow and kneepads, and nail a wooden milk crate to one end, to make a scooter. Some of us would even design a seat, to nail to the things, so we could sit while riding it down the steepest hill in the neighborhood. Their were no personal computers, smartphones, ebooks and most families didn't have (or couldn't afford) a microwave or a VCR. "Go outside and play," was an extremely common phrase, and it would be done with no adult supervision. It was still pretty easy to "go exploring" in some woods, somewhere, and find the remains of an abandoned house, in an advanced stage of decomposition - there'd be evidence that the house never had electricity, or it's water was brought to the house by buckets (no plumbing), and if one was truly lucky, they might stumble across an old Studebaker, out back, with trees growing up through it.

Today's kids will never, ever experience my youth. Lucky bastages.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Playing unsupervised out and about in town for hours on end.

Sitting next to the tape deck on Friday nights with the radio on, waiting until your favourite songs came on the Top 100 so that you could press record real quick, then stop it just as the song ended... only to wait until the next one came on. Then being annoyed when the radio host started talking before the end of the song so the last bit was all messed up.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                  Growing up, we had an outhouse.
                  So did we, though that's probably more a reflection of living in an older country house than my age lol. My grandparents and my aunt lived in 100year old houses that had outhouses. Ours was built in the 60's but still had an outhouse. At least ours was plumbed. My aunt had a long drop most of the way through my childhood!

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Heka View Post
                  Putting a cassette in a radio/cd/tape player and recording music onto it.

Also, 3 for 5c lollies.
                  OMG YES!! Finding 5c on the ground at school and going to the canteen to get 3 gummy bears. Or when you really lucked out and you had 50c or $1 to go to the corner deli while you waited for the bus and you'd get a WHOLE BAG of lollies that you could pick and mix from the counter.

Comment

What normally happens in movies that rarely happens in real life?
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I feel like all the answers I could give to this I can think of would just sound pathetic and silly right now (happy endings. True love!) blah blah blah..... Which both answers and doesn't answer the question.
                      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

I can't say that I know this from firsthand experience, but I can't imagine that female characters trip and fall when running from zombies as often as they do in moves...

Comment

Subtitles when someone speaks a language you don't know. Plot resolution. BGM.
                          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

Playing unsupervised out and about in town for hours on end.

Sitting next to the tape deck on Friday nights with the radio on, waiting until your favourite songs came on the Top 100 so that you could press record real quick, then stop it just as the song ended... only to wait until the next one came on. Then being annoyed when the radio host started talking before the end of the song so the last bit was all messed up.

- - - Updated - - -

So did we, though that's probably more a reflection of living in an older country house than my age lol. My grandparents and my aunt lived in 100year old houses that had outhouses. Ours was built in the 60's but still had an outhouse. At least ours was plumbed. My aunt had a long drop most of the way through my childhood!

- - - Updated - - -

OMG YES!! Finding 5c on the ground at school and going to the canteen to get 3 gummy bears. Or when you really lucked out and you had 50c or $1 to go to the corner deli while you waited for the bus and you'd get a WHOLE BAG of lollies that you could pick and mix from the counter.
                            We had the same childhoods by the looks!
                            ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                            Seen the desert and the birds
                            You cut your hair short
                            Like a shush to an insult
                            The world had been yelling
                            Since the day you were born
                            Revolting with anger
                            While it smiled like it was cute
                            That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

People not turning on the lights... *sigh* or going around unarmed.
                              ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                              Seen the desert and the birds
                              You cut your hair short
                              Like a shush to an insult
                              The world had been yelling
                              Since the day you were born
                              Revolting with anger
                              While it smiled like it was cute
                              That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

Large fireballs in space battles... space battles, period... cars crashing through gates and stuff with no damage... people being hit with bats and tire irons and not having broken bones or being dead... car chases where the pursued actually elude the police... etc, etc, etc...
                                I often wish that I had done drugs in the '70s. At least there'd be a reason for the flashbacks. - Rick the Runesinger

Blood and Country
                                Tribe of my Tribe
                                Clan of my Clan
                                Kin of my Kin
                                Blood of my Blood

For the Yule was upon them, the Yule; and they quaffed from the skulls of the slain,
                                And shouted loud oaths in hoarse wit, and long quaffing swore laughing again.

Comment

Working...
                                X