Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Teaching a class of college bound seniors, I needed a topic that I thought everybody would know at least something about - I picked the American Civil War.

Imagine my surprise in discovering that better than half the class didn't even know who was president at the time (I told them to look at a penny. They still couldn't figure it out), or what friggin' continent it took place on (AMERICAN Civil War? Whair wuz dat at?)...

This is no joke... I was floored...

This isn't due to bad education - this is due to flat out ignorance.
    I'm personally terrible at history. Unless it was presented as a story, I wouldn't remember it. Civil war? Lincoln was president. Confederate vs Yankees. Lots of people died. 1800s. That's the most I can say for sure. ..

To answer the question at hand... how secluded they are. They spend the vast majority of their time online with no real contact with the world.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      I'm personally terrible at history. Unless it was presented as a story, I wouldn't remember it. Civil war? Lincoln was president. Confederate vs Yankees. Lots of people died. 1800s. That's the most I can say for sure. ..

To answer the question at hand... how secluded they are. They spend the vast majority of their time online with no real contact with the world.
      And ya know? Not everybody is interested in history, or understands how the impacts of historical events affect the present.

But there are some basics a person should know, just they have ongoing effects.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

What's one thing you can't tell your parents because it would crush them?
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
          I dunno, I tell my mom just about everything..... My dad doesn't know lots of things, so maybe there are a few things that would crush him...
          http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I can't tell my mother that she's the only person in the entire world who repeatedly disappoints me. All I want from her is to feel appreciated. When I'm having a bad day, I call mom, but we usually talk about her problems (every phone call home, actually), and never mine. Or if I do mention something, the response is usually 'huh, that's too bad. but at least you don't have MY problems'. And she never takes steps to make herself happier. I think she's just trying to get through life so she can die, sometimes.

Mostly art.

Comment

Unfortunately, I've already told them. Here's a tip: When you're on LSD, don't call your mother.

That being said...I dunno...my folks and I have always been fairly close. About the only things I don't talk about are simply for their sanity - pointing out their bigotry or whatever...not real high on my list of "to do's"...so I generally just nod and whatever when they drop the comments.

Personally? I've always been pretty open about myself. Being honest means you don't have much to hide

- - - Updated - - -

Oh oh! If my dad were still alive, telling him I smoke pot would absolutely devastate him.

And that would give me a reason to call him every week.

Comment

Pretty much anything to do with sex, drugs, partying, drinking, and smoking. I told them once that I did all of those things at my leisure and they respected that, but it's still not a conversation topic.
                No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

My parents are pretty well crushed as is. I don't think anything I have to say would have that much affect at this point. Unless it was to tell my mother I never want to see her again. That might lead to suicide type crushing on her part.
                  We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                  It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                  Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                  -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Oh lord. Well there's a lot of them.
                    I've had casual sex and enjoyed it, done LSD, done mushrooms, get drunk now and then, smoke weed, been sexual with women (and enjoyed that as well), have graced over the Satanic Bible out of open minded curiosity and thought it had some wise things to say, own a copy of The Witch's Bible, and that I frequently watch... erm... trying to think of a term that is not too explicit since this isn't the adult section... adult entertainment.

Comment

I think that there are some things... For instance, fully dedicating myself to Kemetism, marrying to a non-jewish woman ('cause my family is jewish)....
                      On one hand it's my own business, on the other hand, it will really make them suffer...
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                        I think that there are some things... For instance, fully dedicating myself to Kemetism, marrying to a non-jewish woman ('cause my family is jewish)....
                        On one hand it's my own business, on the other hand, it will really make them suffer...
                        You're MARRIED? ...aren't you a teenager?

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                          You're MARRIED? ...aren't you a teenager?
                          No no I'm not married. I was using it as an example.

- - - Updated - - -

And yep, I'm still a teenager.
                          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Nothing.

In my mom's case the absolute worst thing that would happens is I'd get The Look. The one that says: "You're a very strange person. Are we actually related?"
                            And for my father we haven't talked outside polite chit-chat for years, and that's only because he's still married to my mom so we tolerate each other. So there's nothing private about myself that I would ever tell him.
                            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

What's the best and worst part about being your age?
                              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

What's the best and worst part about being your age?
                                Best thing: I'm young and have loads of opportunities to do just about anything with my life.
                                Worst thing: I'm young and know jack shit about life. It's confusing.

Comment

Working...
                                X