Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Medusa's Quesion du jour (the year of the horse edition!)

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Whether physical or emotional, what's the most painful thing you've been through?
    Physical: toss up between my shoulder's partial disjointing (which I never had checked out until it was too late) and its subsequent flare-ups (scar tissue + inflammatory aggravation once in awhile); or shingles (yes, I got shingles at 26. Stress will kill you).

Comment

Whether physical or emotional, what's the most painful thing you've been through?
      The bone tumor I had in my elbow. Two years of constant pain that ranged between a 6 and a 10 on the pain scale. Wanting to saw off your own arm is not a nice feeling. The post op pain after having it removed was nothing compared to that. I'd have joint surgery again before I had another bone tumor.

Though the worst part was the doctors refusing to prescribe pain meds because I was only 15. Yeah I had 10/10 pain and nothing but aspirin to throw at it.

Comment

When it comes to emotional pain, there'd be a few ties, so I'll just go with physical: A chipped tooth. I was terrified of dentists at that age, but the pain was so horrible that by the time my appointment came I practically tackled the chair. I was a very cooperative patient that day.

Comment

Physical: skull fracture. Concussion, facial swelling that led to blindness and deafness for a couple months... and a headache that lasted for more than half a year.

Emotional: the death of Uncle Dan (my great uncle), or Paw-Paw (my paternal-paternal-great-grandfather). I have cried at a lot of funerals... but never sobbed for someone that I loved so much, like I did for them... and I doubt that I ever will.

I strongly suspect that timing of the death of these two has a LOT to do with me being so anti-social.
          "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

How much of your personal values and beliefs do you think you picked up from your parents?
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

What about yourself are you most proud of?
              The sociological, economic and political research I've done on a myriad of topics.

What do you wish the opposite sex would stop doing?
              Two words : Gender Stereotyping
              …On second thought let’s apply that to both sexes.

Physically I have two things that I believe are close enough to mention both of them.
              (a) I tore a ligament in my knee when I was ten years old. It didn't fully heal until I was sixteen years old, and up until then I would still have pain when running or climbing stairs.
              (b) When I was really young (I believe I was four at the time), I tripped while running and my right hand was impaled and torn open by a radio antenna. The antenna was literally a spike due to the round protective cap, or whatever it is called, falling off of the antenna.

How much of your personal values and beliefs do you think you picked up from your parents?
              Initially quite a bit, but over the years I have drifted from them significantly, and now I am almost a complete opposite in terms of social, economic, political or religious values, with only minor similarities.

Comment

Beliefs - nothing.
                Values - it's a bit hard for me to being open to people in the beginning, thanks to my parents. But as I get to know them, everything changes.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Quite a lot I think. Ive turned out more like my mum than I expected (and my dad too unfortunately haha). Mum was always super opened minded. Shes not religious or anything, bit of an athiest, but mostly she just doesnt care, same with dadio. In terms of values, my mums a good person. I thought she sucked as a teenager, and did lots of rebelling. I stuck with a lot of what I rebelled too, then turned out mum was just like me haha!
                  ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
                  Seen the desert and the birds
                  You cut your hair short
                  Like a shush to an insult
                  The world had been yelling
                  Since the day you were born
                  Revolting with anger
                  While it smiled like it was cute
                  That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

What about yourself are you most proud of?
                    I guess that I am most proud of the work I have been doing to help my parents around the house.
                    Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Hahaha, not a lot, let me tell you. I went through such a rebellious stage in high school that I kind of forged my own set of ideas and values. Some of them have evolved over time, but they really have very little to do with the things my parents taught me. To be honest, it was kind of essential that I decondition myself from some of the lessons my parents taught me- both consciously and unconsciously- in order to be a mentally healthy person.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
                        Hahaha, not a lot, let me tell you. I went through such a rebellious stage in high school that I kind of forged my own set of ideas and values. Some of them have evolved over time, but they really have very little to do with the things my parents taught me. To be honest, it was kind of essential that I decondition myself from some of the lessons my parents taught me- both consciously and unconsciously- in order to be a mentally healthy person.
                        Same here.
                        "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Quite a bit, I think. It's easy to think that it's just that my mum has the same values as me... but then that's a bit backwards, isn't it? I have beliefs and values that my mum doesn't have, but then I think that what I gained from mum has then given me the foundation for some of the individual ones.

My dad... I like to think that I have taken nothing from my dad, because there's nothing of his that I want to have. So I don't know. My stepdad wasn't around until I was already 12, so I think that most of my core values were already in place by then. He skipped my formative years, and my dad wasn't around often enough in my formative years to have been a large influence (he was a truck driver).

Comment

Personal values? Almost all of them, with corrections for what used to be acceptable levels of racism and gender stereotyping. Beliefs? Well, I was raised with their beliefs, but I don't think I share any with them anymore

My honesty was taught (and enforced) by my father. I was pretty much "cured" of lying by the time I was 16, between him and...well...getting "caught" in big enough lies. My mother taught me to treat other people how I wanted to be treated, and was able to illustrate that in a variety of different ways when I grew up.

Of course, after becoming an adult all of these things were...cleaned up. While my dad used to preach honesty, he was a lying sack of shit who took advantage of the Government and other people as frequently as he was able. He felt entitled. I do not. My mother is a loving and wonderful woman, but she has her blind spots as well...when I found out that she didn't bother to learn the difference between "Muslim" and "terrorist" I called her a bigot and we haven't discussed the topic since.

All in all, I'd give 70% to my folks, 20% to my peers, and 10% to logic and reason (yay!)

Comment

Physical: broken toe. I have broken a leg, arm, collar bone, knee cap. The toe was far and above the worst.
                              Emotional: Realizing that none of my "friends" were friends when I left my first marriage.

- - - Updated - - -

Some things, not others. My respect for hard work is certainly a hand-me-down.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Ohhh...shit....I completely forgot about the Hard Work. And sitcoms.

Revised totals:
                                Folks: 75% (revising down because of the overestimate, and then back up for my work ethic)
                                Logic/Reason: 10%
                                Peers: 10% (thinking about it, I don't usually care what other people think)
                                1980's sitcoms: 10%

what.

I've gained weight.

Comment

Working...
                                X