This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Idea for a game

Theory and practice should be balanced. Power without religion is hard to use and troublesome.
    "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

I think it's cool that you're giving this some really serious thought. Most people on hearing negative backlash usually just give up and don't think about it any further. Even if one group of people doesn't agree with you, it's always a good idea to get a second opinion from another group. If the general consensus is that people don't like it, then find out which part is offensive. Don't worry too much about why it's offensive, it's enough to know that it is. Finding out why is a job in itself. It seems that you're looking for a pattern in religions and mindsets, a common ground where all religions make sense and are channeling your observations into a medium where these patterns would be obvious. Of course, religion is a very complex topic and these overly simplified patterns only emphasize a single aspect of that religion and remove all the subtle "flavors", if you will, of why a religion is rich and full of vibrant aspects that would be lost in such a medium.

I still think if you made fictional religions inspired by real counterparts you would be able to explore this aspect without giving the impression that you as the developer see religions as stupidly simple to figure out, which I think is why your original presentation struck such a strong negative chord.

However I will also point out that offending people is a really quick way to trigger someone into blatantly stating what their religion is all about and can serve as a platform to get people to say what they think. Of course this can also be achieved without angering people, but angering someone will definitely give you a quicker reaction. Though not always a good one. Your creation will reflect on you as the creator and will be viewed as a statement of your world views if the game itself is a statement of world views.

Anyway, the fact that you're still thinking about what to do with this game is definitely a good sign that you can learn to be adaptable and think things through. An idea that seems simple at first can always turn up unexpected complications. It's important to not be afraid to say what's on your mind and I respect the fact that you're still trying to present yourselves even after you received such a reaction.

The entire D&D universe itself was originally brought about because of Tolkien who based his stories off Nordic traditions and mythology. If I were in your shoes, trying to find the magical influences within religion, I would first research one religion at a time. I would look at every little detail about it and try to think of what that religion makes me think of and how it makes me feel. Then I would come up with a single sentence that would summarize those feelings for me. I would put that sentence into a single word or pair of words, try to make it as small as possible. Then from that single phrase, I would come up with magics that would reflect that phrase or ideology, and I would research, too, the people and culture whom the religion reflects.

For example, when I think of the Roman religion and society, the word that best exemplifies this culture for me is 'Order'. Out of this, I would probably even create a magical religion based on their language, maybe even call it something as obvious and cheesy, but not out of place, as 'Ordos'. If the game never explicitly stated that this religion is based on order, it's quite likely that most people who picked up the game wouldn't even pick up on that fact.

Out of that I would think of magics that would reflect the nature not just of the religion, but their people. Something like morale buffs to increase strength and defense, creating walls of shields that manifest from nothing, opening portals to Tartarus, maybe or not given a different name, to summon the spirits of the dead who've fallen in battle... Spells of this nature which definitely belong in a fantasy setting, translate much better when reality is touched as little as possible.

Also, this might be unnecessary to add, but when you finally settle on what you're going to do with your game, remember to have one theme and stick with it. The game should have a "feel" to it and that can't suddenly change midway through the game. If the game is light and cheesy, keep it light and cheesy all the way through. If it's dark and serious, keep it that way. Don't start with light and cheesy then suddenly change the tone midway through the game and suddenly go dark. Too many inconsistent nonsensical changes will really turn out just an awful game unless the whole feel of the game is completely about random changes. But then that becomes the consistency of the game anyway. Just try to keep your plot clear and consistent and don't leave players feeling confused about what's going on. And if you're not sure if you're doing that, ask around. People are very opinionated and will always love to give their opinion on what you're doing as long as you are receptive and don't shoot down what's on their minds, but thank them, instead, for their time, then go back to the drawing board and figure out what you need to change and what should stay the same.

Comment

I had an idea for a Pagan game once, but mine would have been a fighting game.

It was a out a Pagan who's boyfriend was kidnapped by a hypervigilant family group (like Million Moms) for' corrupting children' by being in a metal band. She had to fight her way through various opponents using moves like' Wiccan Reed' where she'd stab somebody with a wand or chalk a pentacle and summon a lawyer. Not a demon lawyer, just a regular one.

Needless to say, tongue was planted firmly in cheek on this one. 😜

I don't remember specifically, but there's a good chance I was drunk when I came up with that one.

Comment

lol, dahll.

Comment

I appreciate any support and criticism. I think it'd probably be better to make up religions based on real ones or just focus on powers themselves instead of using religion. Like there can be one into nature magic obviously influenced by Druidism, or holy or white magic, mostly based off of Christianity, the arcane from Wicca and telekinesis or spiritual power based off Buddhism.

I'd also let other people play as any race too, and I'd have a character creation system on par with the Sims, where you can be white black Asian, or a mixture of either or all 3 or more multiracial features. I'd also add professions in addition with the magic one can use like engineer, computer programmer or hacker, machinist, ect.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
              I'd also let other people play as any race too, and I'd have a character creation system on par with the Sims, where you can be white black Asian, or a mixture of either or all 3 or more multiracial features.
              So it's like the Fat-Skinny-Muscular slider from Saint's Row, or do you just mean there will be a wide selection of skin tones and facial features?
              Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                So it's like the Fat-Skinny-Muscular slider from Saint's Row, or do you just mean there will be a wide selection of skin tones and facial features?
                Both really. I think it'd also be cool if you can take a picture of yourself and put your face on there, taking the 2d picture of your face and making it 3D. Strangely I don't see many games do it often, even though they have the technology to do that and have been able to do it. But yes that's what I'd want to do, making your character young, middle aged or older. There would be a wide selection of skin tones and facial features, so you can make your character look Native American, Nordic or black or a mixture of both or more. Any race, skin color combination you can imagine would be on there.

Comment

Originally posted by Alienist View Post
                  I think it'd also be cool if you can take a picture of yourself and put your face on there, taking the 2d picture of your face and making it 3D. Strangely I don't see many games do it often, even though they have the technology to do that and have been able to do it.
                  Pretty much the only thing that does it that I can think of off the top of me head is the Wii/U for making Miis. It's always REALLY confused by facial hair.
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                    Pretty much the only thing that does it that I can think of off the top of me head is the Wii/U for making Miis. It's always REALLY confused by facial hair.
                    There were games like Unreal Tournament back then and I think they still do it now, where you can send a picture of your face to a group of graphic designers and they would make it 3D and paste it over your characters head, but you had to pay them a small fee for them to do it. The technology is a lot better though but something like that would be nice. You could make your character, fatter, muscular, or skinnier as well your height.

I would want the game to take place in modern times or at the very least, the not too distant future, where one can fight against not only criminals, like gangs in urban warfare, but also spiritual enemies, perform exorcists to help others, meeting creatures that were only thought to be legendary, mercenaries, robots like drones and evil cultists.

Comment

The 2d to 3d sounds cool, but it also sounds like it could be either too complicated or pretty spendy, which is probably why it's not a feature that's implemented very often. Sounds like your creative juices are really flowing . I'd suggest starting some sort of "brain map / web" or whatever they're called, can't remember the term for it right now. Just write out a whole bunch of ideas and see how they connect to each other. Then figure out where in all of that you would like to really focus down on and see what you come up with. As the mastermind, at some point, you gotta start being definitive with what you want. Saying for sure "I like this," and "I don't like that". Once you get further in to what you know you want to do, you can always ask for more feedback if you think you need it. There's a reason for the saying, "Too many cooks spoil the broth."

Comment

Working...
                      X