This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Raising the dead just takes practice

Yes I think you've gotten ahead of us here Ektor. I never said I upheld everything/defended everything in that book, I said quite the opposite. Also as far as the homophobia/genocide/murdering pagans stuff goes, as Malflick said, thats all Old Testament. The new testament was the new word brought by Christ to relieve people of the Old ways pretty much. You know, bringing in Yahwehs new commandments. So I'm not too sure if you've read the bible in its entirety but it's not 'ripe' with genocide, homophobia, war making, slavery or all sorts of bigotry. At least not more than any other period of time on this earth. Because you have to realize, the books of the bible are also documenting a time period. All the bad things happening in the book aren't always 'gods will' a lot of it is what was trying to be corrected.

Edit: I was ninja'd a little there so I'll read the above post and follow it.

Also masked, I'm aware he has the right to disagree as do all people. I also have the right to say he has no right to do those things. Of course I don't mean on the level of feds busting down his door and slapping on iron for disagreeing with me. All I mean is if he was in my home or near me saying things like that I'd prefer him not to. Not just Ektor, anybody who argues other peoples religions and their beliefs. But I understand his right to do it on a general scale.
    White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
    sigpic
    In Days of yore,
    From Britain's shore
    Wolfe the dauntless hero came
    And planted firm Britannia's flag
    On Canada's fair domain.
    Here may it wave,
    Our boast, our pride
    And joined in love together,
    The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
    The Maple Leaf Forever.

Comment

That particular point wasn't directed specifically at you. Yes, I expect you to live with the fact that Ektor has a low opinion of Biblical Innerrancy. I also expect Ektor to live with the fact that a lot of people adopt Biblical Innerrancy. I primarily expect this because your choices boil down to debate till you reach consensus, live with the fact the you disagree with each other, don't live. The physical ability of either of you to generate a fourth option is limited. That set of points mostly falls under a fait accompli unless one of you decides to do something utterly crazy.

The only non fait accompli in that post is that this thread is steadily marching toward my chopping block and I felt you should have warning before it got there. Disagreement between you won't kill this thread. Failing to end the Innerrancy tangent soon will.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

One of the things about the OP that struck me was that I am still not sure WHY people want to raise the dead. Now I know that losing someone we love is devastating, but raising the dead has all sorts of implications. I mean, does anyone hear want to live forever, just growing older and older? Cos I don't. Reincarnation - yes, I believe in that. But just going on and on and being dragged back all the time - I tell you, I would probably end up bloody annoyed.

And if you don't accept reincarnation, but believe in an afterlife full of peace and flowers (if you've been good, that is) then surely you wouldn't want to stop someone from going there?

Because the idea of wanting to raise the dead - no matter what faith one claims to follow - smacks to me of hubris. Which is anything but spiritual IMHO.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Tylluan...that is just downright sensible. I hadn't thought of it that way before.
          Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

I have noticed with "some" Christians "More" fear of physical death. One would expect as The Devine Ms. T. mentioned(Yeh you are stuck with the name DMT) that dieing would not be a sad or troubling thing,what with heaven and all.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Somewhat related. I learned yesterday that a physician proposed reanimating George Washington after he died. The idea was to transfuse him with lamb's blood, which was supposed to have some sort of healing, miraculous quality. Martha actually considered it before declining the offer. The doctor went to his grave believing that he would have succeeded. That was about 200 years ago.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

This guy was dead, but came back to life as he was about to be embalmed. As far as I know, nobody resurrected him.

He died two weeks later. Hardly seems worth waking up for...

Read the latest headlines, news stories, and opinion from Politics, Entertainment, Life, Perspectives, and more.
                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  One of the things about the OP that struck me was that I am still not sure WHY people want to raise the dead. Now I know that losing someone we love is devastating, but raising the dead has all sorts of implications. I mean, does anyone hear want to live forever, just growing older and older? Cos I don't. Reincarnation - yes, I believe in that. But just going on and on and being dragged back all the time - I tell you, I would probably end up bloody annoyed.

And if you don't accept reincarnation, but believe in an afterlife full of peace and flowers (if you've been good, that is) then surely you wouldn't want to stop someone from going there?

Because the idea of wanting to raise the dead - no matter what faith one claims to follow - smacks to me of hubris. Which is anything but spiritual IMHO.
                  LOL no kidding!

And Christians of all people... They shouldn't be afraid of death because it is analogous to a diplomat in a foreign land being called home. If they are trying to bring back dead relatives then it says something about their faith.

In many cases, the act of death is an uncomfortable experience. Like you said, why on earth inflict in on someone more than once unless you intensely dislike them. They are family after all :-)

Comment

Gah. Could not for the life of me remember where I was posting.
                    Anyways, there is this tendency to criticize people with alternative biblical interpretations for being contradictory when any Biblical interpretation is going to be contradictory in some fashion because of the piecemeal authorship of the book
                    I agree. Though let's be real. If there WAS a reason to criticize people over a book they say is 100% real...this be it right here. I can't possible take a book for realz if the believers can't even sort their own book out first. If I'm confused..I only have one book to blame for that. Blame the source not the reader of the confused source. The believers are confused. How am I supposed to be clear on it?

Totally rhetorical. It was my original intent in the first place to point this out from an outsider. But I see arguments among the believers of the book is already underway. I don't want to interfere in your communal kumbaya.

The unbeliever will just wait it out till you all sort out what you want to say about your book there. :
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So, basically they want to learn the black arts and resurrect the dead? I wish I had a portal that I could use to summon Edward Elric so he could bitch slap those people who dare to play God. Then again, maybe he'd destroy the planet to do humanity a favor and put it out of it's misery.
                      What one believes in is infinitely more important than WHO they believe in.

Comment

Originally posted by jcaternolo View Post
                        So, basically they want to learn the black arts and resurrect the dead? I wish I had a portal that I could use to summon Edward Elric so he could bitch slap those people who dare to play God. Then again, maybe he'd destroy the planet to do humanity a favor and put it out of it's misery.
                        It's been tried. I closed the portal and ate the mind of the summoner.

Thou shalt not endanger my pizza supply. Bad things happen.

:cthulhu:
                        life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Working...
                        X