X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: To vaccinate, or not to vaccinate: that is the question

Originally posted by Rae'ya View Post

And I'd just like to point out that quarantining a sick person AFTER symptoms develop is not a reliable way to stop the spread of many diseases. In many cases, the horse has already bolted and quarantining individuals is next to useless.
    Yep. It can take someone up to 3 weeks to show measles symptoms, but they can transmit it almost immediately after infection. There is currently an outbreak in Seattle that was spread after an unvaccinated person visited family in Vancouver (where there was an outbreak a few weeks ago). She then spread it at a concert.

This is how it works. If almost everyone is vaccinated, it's not very likely that those who can't be vaccinated will be affected. BUT if people start buying into the nonsense about the supposed dangers of vaccines, we get this. It's 2014. This should not be happening.

Comment

I live in an area where there's insufficient sanitary systems (thankfully I live in the central part of town so everything's allright here), there are several cases of easily prevented diseases and stuff like that. I don't know anyone who's anti-vaccine cause people die from stuff like that, I guess that being this close to several tropical diseases can do a lot to change pragmatically the way people see vaccination.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
        Your parents sign a permission form (which everyone does)...
        (emphasis added)

Don't be too sure about that. One reason that the U.S. seems to be filled with loonies is that we air our dirty laundry in public.

According to a very quick search (yielding very juicy results), Canada has the same problem as the U.S. does in parents choosing not to get their kids vaccinated.

Not enough Canadian children get vaccinated doctors say
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          (emphasis added)

Don't be too sure about that. One reason that the U.S. seems to be filled with loonies is that we air our dirty laundry in public.

According to a very quick search (yielding very juicy results), Canada has the same problem as the U.S. does in parents choosing not to get their kids vaccinated.

Not enough Canadian children get vaccinated doctors say
          Oh, totally. If you read my entire post, I cited the recent measles outbreak in the Fraser Valley. The anti-vaccer movement is huge in Canada and it's causing a lot o problems. I should have said "everyone did" in that context, because I'm 99% sure everyone in my class got their vaccinations, and I don't know anyone my age who didn't get all their vaccinations. Sadly, even though we all got ours, it tends to be people my age who are at the forefront of the anti-vaccer movement.

Comment

OhSadly, even though we all got ours, it tends to be people my age who are at the forefront of the anti-vaccer movement.
            I think this is a problem of privelege and ignorance.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

There is the aspect of mistrust of the powers that be. What I mean is people are not so much distrustful of the medicine as they are(and sometimes with good reason) the government(NSA thing,among others).

When the people find reason to not trust their Government,then a certain paranoia creeps in about ALL things that seem to be connected to said Government. The question that comes up is "Do they have our best interest at heart" or in the mind set of that paranoia,do they become our secret enemy.
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Since my son has autism people ask my about vaccines all the time. I am not anti-vaccine. Unless some special condition exists get you kids vaccinated. I do recommend doing one shot at a time. Our doctor has never been bothered by that request.

Comment

Not vaccinating against the "big," contagious, and potentially deadly illnesses is essentially depraved indifference, imo.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

I'm sorry, I would like to put an end to this debate once and for all.

While it is admirable that you trust your friends and coworkers, which I'm sure are all very well learned medical professionals, arguing with science is retarded. That's certainly your right, but if you want to ignore it, you are one of the people that are threatening our (and other) children.

This was in the news a couple of weeks ago, if you want to discuss what they tested and how they tested it, by all means let's do so, but don't come to the table without being prepared.

A detailed study of brain samples of children with autism who died young shows remarkably clear changes in their brains.

"They are actually jam-packed with brain cells," Courchesne told NBC News. Not only are there too many cells, but they are not developed properly. "Brain cells are there but they haven’t changed into the kind of cell they are supposed to be. It's a failure of early formation."
                    Followed by the predicted number of people who would have died if vaccines were not only not available, but mostly mandatory - I think most people would agree that Unicef would have reliable information and statisticians, no?

Scroll down on that page for the easy to read chart.

Evolution works. Your decisions will bear that out.

Comment

Yeah. Evolve, dammit.

Or just die, already, so the rest of us can move on with our lives.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                        I think this is a problem of privelege and ignorance.
                        I think you're right. No one our age saw anyone catch polio first hand. It's something our grandparents had to deal with, but not us.

Comment

I think you're right. No one our age saw anyone catch polio first hand. It's something our grandparents had to deal with, but not us.
                          People have an annoying habit of failure to learn from history - until history repeats.

Then, the reaction is to face palming.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

More retarded vaccine news. Will somebody please take away this woman's public access? Please? We have far dumber people with more interesting things to say that could use their 15 minutes of fame.

Hugh Pickens DOT Com (2995471) writes "Jenny McCarthy is claiming she has been misunderstood and is not anti-vaccine. In an op-ed in the Chicago Sun-Times, McCarthy tries to ignore everything she's been saying about vaccines for years and wipe the record clean. 'People have the misconception that we...

Comment

Ugh, Jenny McCarthy.

Comment

I know a women who didn't vaccinate her kids for fear of autism and then one of her kids died from a disease that a vaccine protected. My opinion is therefore clear.
                                White and Red 'till I'm cold and dead.
                                sigpic
                                In Days of yore,
                                From Britain's shore
                                Wolfe the dauntless hero came
                                And planted firm Britannia's flag
                                On Canada's fair domain.
                                Here may it wave,
                                Our boast, our pride
                                And joined in love together,
                                The thistle, shamrock, rose entwined,
                                The Maple Leaf Forever.