This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24 injured in knife attack at High School

I've never seen a convincing argument that firmly places the blame on the show/movie/music/game/or book.

What I *have* seen are a lot of confused kids that, from a young age are taught to fear their bodies and that everything fun that's worth doing has already been done and subsequently banned by their fearmongering forbears.

If people talked to their kids this shit would happen a lot less. My son struggled with Depression, briefly, and because I talked to him plainly about it he was able to break the habit before it became a 20 year routine. People have been shitting and fucking for roughly 30,000 years...I'm pretty sure they can handle it.

I specifically bring this up because many of the problems these kids are dealing with aren't new, they're old - they're the oldest, in fact. But because we've fostered this society of puritans, nobody ever talks about the shit that everybody on the planet goes through, and *some* kids either don't know how to ask the right questions to understand, or they are bullied and teased for asking those questions. I speak from experience, and quite a lot of miscellaneous research over the years.

Comment

I *was* just simply going to quote Danie but since Corvus provided a well phrased document to cite:

News coverage magnifies a number of widespread but wrong or unverified impressions of
      school shooters. Among them are:

• School violence is an epidemic.
      • All school shooters are alike.
      • The school shooter is always a loner.
      • School shootings are exclusively revenge motivated.
      • Easy access to weapons is THE most significant risk factor.
      • Unusual or aberrant behaviors, interests, hobbies, etc., are hallmarks of the student
      destined to become violent.

School shootings and other forms of school violence are not just a school's problem
      or a law enforcement problem. They involve schools, families, and the communities. An
      adolescent comes to school with a collective life experience, both positive and negative,
      shaped by the environments of family, school, peers, community, and culture. Out of that
      collective experience come values, prejudices, biases, emotions, and the student's responses
      to training, stress, and authority. His or her behavior at school is affected by the entire
      range of experiences and influences. No one factor is decisive. By the same token,
      however, no one factor is completely without effect, which means that when a student has
      shown signs of potential violent behavior, schools and other community institutions do
      have the capacity -- and the responsibility -- to keep that potential from turning real.

I also dig the part where it says that teen violence has been decreasing since 1993. Except that the cited document is now, some 15 years old.

EDIT: Dammit. Forgot to posit the question of school stabbings fitting the same bill. Oops.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
        Except that the cited document is now, some 15 years old.
        I apologize that I didn't find a more modern version however the points made should still be valid. Also according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics school violence is still on the decline and schools are much less violent in modern times than even a decade ago.
        Circe

Comment

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
          I apologize that I didn't find a more modern version however the points made should still be valid. Also according to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics school violence is still on the decline and schools are much less violent in modern times than even a decade ago.
          Meh, no need to apologize, my friend. I just wanted to mention the point before somebody came along to use that same point, its age, to try and nullify its statements. Really, the steady decline of school violence is rather peripheral to the topic, on hand. Unless one would argue that the downward move, in weapon efficiency, is also indicative of that decline. "It used to be guns, now it's knives," kind of statement.

But I doubt anyone could make the argument that this kid's use of kitchen knives is a trend.
          Last edited by ChainLightning; 10 Apr 2014, 22:52. Reason: it;its and it is; it's. brain fart

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

The kid involved in the knife attacks was described as shy and generally well behaved and nice.

I would think perhaps something(perhaps long term) set him off at some point.

We humans tend to be able to mask our anger and stuff it down. While I was involved in the mental health system,they stressed that stuffing anger is a very bad idea,as it will come to the surface eventually.

I play violent video games when angry to dissipate the angry feelings. I can kill all the monsters,and not take my anger out on real people.
            MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
            NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
            don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
            http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

you know if the school system would actually take more time with bullying and students in general. it seems to me that the councilor at schools dont care dont wanna hear your problem . and bullying forget about it you hit the bully assault . you tell teacher admin. whatever you get more bullying . and well that leaves one option open . im currently in high school its councilor is a idiot , kids get harrassed picked on and nothing happens . and i mean what were they expecting when a kid is deppressed bullied or picked on or suffers from a mental handicap the school doesnt help parents cant do anything usually dont know to begin with so the person feels alone. instead of protecting the students with law enforcement or banning guns why not pay schools a few more dollars to actually pay atention to students . its funny students are actually more helpful and know more about students then the teachers . i feel sorry for everyone in that situation expecially the kid who flipped out.
              Knowledge is the key to eternity. Not bowing before a deity not grovling at the feet of a messiah. Knowledge is power beyond mesure - satanic witch

Comment

The counselors in my school seemed to *care*, they just didn't know how to help. That's the problem with expecting someone else to help your kids with psychological problems...they don't know the kid, and they don't know the illness.

Comment

Originally posted by Roknrol View Post
                  The counselors in my school seemed to *care*, they just didn't know how to help. That's the problem with expecting someone else to help your kids with psychological problems...they don't know the kid, and they don't know the illness.
                  While this doesn't apply to ALL counselors in ALL schools, the one's I know would do almost anything (possible) to help kids in distress.

Unfortunately, not everybody can be helped.

I had a kid who complained of being bullied. Got notice from the counselors and others to keep an eye out.

Because I care, I would discreetly follow the kid across the entire building to his next class, to make sure that nothing happened to him.

Eventually, I caught the kids who were bullying him at it - the kids he named and complained about.

When I tried to take action, he insisted that they were his friends, and they were just kidding with him.

That was his pattern - he complained about his "friends" picking on him, but he would constantly be with them, and he would make excuses for them.

It's not nice to blame the victim... unless the victim is to blame for his/her own problems.

When it comes to bullying, there are times when the victim actually goes out of his/her way to be bullied.

(I'm probably going to catch it for this statement of truth, what with it not being a convenient PC truism and all.)

- - - Updated - - -

A couple of points I need to add:

Schools are not mental health facilities. When a student has an emotional problem, there are things they can do - primarily recommending professional treatment - but not much. The kid's parents or guardians need to deal with it - not pass the buck.

Schools are not jails, or extensions of the police department. When something illegal happens, there are things they can do, but not much. If somebody beats the snot out of your kid, and you decide not to press legal charges for assault because you don't want to cause problems for some thug, you may as well just say "oh well, kids will be kids..." YOU become the problem.

People who expect the schools to raise their kids for them are way too common - and pathetic.
                  Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

We are a leaderless corporate driven world with little to apease the masses. Coupled with sensory overloads we are degressing back to the way the world really is.

History is more full of a violent harsh world than the modern progressive calmness we created over the last 150 years -minus the world wars.

Social programs are created to provide calm to the masses, equality, fair business practices and living wages work to provide an orderly and productive population that seeks order. What we have know is political mind control, corporate power and unbalanced wealth which all in the historical model creates chaos and disorder out of which the few thrive and the greedy can obtain great wealth.

Comment

Originally posted by Historyforall View Post
                      What we have know is political mind control...
                      I didn't know they had perfected that...

I thought people could still make choices of their own, such as choosing not to believe everything they are fed.
                      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Dons tinfoil hat,just in case....
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Dons tinfoil hat,just in case....
                          That is ridiculous and paranoid. The government's secret police could mind scan you through fifteen feet of lead. Plus nothing you wear will ever match it. The secret police are embarrassed for you and your fashion disaster.
                          Circe

Comment

Nah, it's not that they can scan through the tinfoil hat...they just don't need to anymore - they know what you think.

Comment

Don't bother with the hat, Anu'.

We are a leaderless corporate driven world with little to apease the masses.
                              Actually? For the capitalist nations, there's an overabundance of shit to appease the masses. That leader is greed. In the so-called third world nations and states, there is a great deal to appease them, as well, but it gets derailed by civic unrest, drug cartels' dealings, immoral business practices and just downright bureaucracy.

Coupled with sensory overloads we are degressing back to the way the world really is.
                              You know, this makes no sense? I may digress but "going back to what is" is not going back, at all. It just is. Plus, if we were regressing we'd be going back to what was.

History is more full of a violent harsh world than the modern progressive calmness we created over the last 150 years -minus the world wars.
                              I'm not going to count the 18 different wars that took place in any part of 1864 but the last 150 years has been a world overflowing with violence and harshness. Not including the world wars, you mention.

"Progressive calmness"? WTF color is the sky in YOUR world?

Social programs are created to provide calm to the masses, equality, fair business practices and living wages work to provide an orderly and productive population that seeks order.
                              I'd like to see some evidence of this. This not only sounds far-fetched but cynically paranoid, for some reason. Unless you're trying to say that social programs are enacted in order to help those less fortunate, in our society. Like, with hand-outs, assistance and financial benefits to businesses. There's just no calm or even order in that equation.

What we have know is political mind control, corporate power and unbalanced wealth which all in the historical model creates chaos and disorder out of which the few thrive and the greedy can obtain great wealth.
                              Well, except for the conspiracy theory bit, this sentence is redundantly redundant. Unbalanced wealth makes the wealthy... wealthy. Uh... you could have skipped all that and just went with the conspiracy shit, about mind control with chaos and disorder.

Oh. Damn. I digress. What was the original topic about, again?

Comment

Enter the gooberment super-villain, stage left.

Exit the existentialists, stage right.

Comment

Working...
                                X