Ask a Psychic Vampire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ask a Psychic Vampire

Backing DR here. I have my own issues with casual use of battle shielding but you do not get to try and initiate an unwelcome, unasked for contact and then claim abuse if you get smacked down for it.

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=751.msg15827#msg15827 date=1290396504]
    As I said before, I'm against things like spike shields. It's like saying, "I didn't get my pocket picked today. Someone tried, so i F*CKING STABBED HIM. Ha ha ha I'm so good at life."
    There's a fine line between defense and offense.
    [/quote]

Unless these spike shields are doing lasting harm or threatening your life then your analogy fails badly. A more accurate one would be

"some punk tried to grope me and I punched him for it"

stabbings are an escalation to potentially lethal force. Corvus is still breathing and hasn't mentioned a hospital visit. There is a line between defense and offense. Corvus crossed it when he attempted to initiate contact without permission. He was rebuffed bluntly but barring an extreme escalation in force or the other party pursueing him with intent to cause more harm, the other mage has not gone offensive yet. Those who don't appreciate smack downs should not respond to powerful auras with "BRIGHT, SHINY, LET ME EXAMINE!" If they do have the poor taste to try then they better accept that the BRIGHT, SHINY aura may object vehemently.
    life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Actually I was avoiding addressing most of that particular anecdote. I feel that both parties were pretty firmly in the wrong. Assuming the account is accurate (I have to give the benefit of the doubt here - believe it or not, I don't have any kind of strong second sight, punchline of my life), then it is an example of violation of personal space followed by aggressive overreaction.
      If a person is shielding, they are telling you very clearly to leave their energy the hell alone. On the other hand, retaliatory or pre-emptive attacks are not necessarily justified in any setting, metaphysical or not. Learning energy manipulation does not make you Batman.
      Of course, if one or both parties were ballsy enough they could have just struck up a conversation about it. That would have made more sense.
      Be Excellent to each other - or something will Happen to you.

Comment

Also, something else I didn't notice before...

[quote author=Corvus link=topic=751.msg15816#msg15816 date=1290394456]
        That has never happened before, normally the sheild just collapses when my tendril touches it.
        [/quote]

Not cool, dude. Going around popping people's bubbles... definitely puts you in the wrong.

Comment

Since folks are interested, Energy manipulation instruction thread is go!

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=751.msg16062#msg16062 date=1290446835]
            On the other hand, retaliatory or pre-emptive attacks are not necessarily justified in any setting, metaphysical or not. Learning energy manipulation does not make you Batman.
            Of course, if one or both parties were ballsy enough they could have just struck up a conversation about it. That would have made more sense.
            [/quote]

I will have to agree to disagree here. Anyone who tries to feed off my energy is going to get a memorable retaliatory smack in the gob. And as for having a conversation about it, I think it would simply be two words to my would-be attacker. The second of which would be 'off.'
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=751.msg16091#msg16091 date=1290451309]
              I will have to agree to disagree here. Anyone who tries to feed off my energy is going to get a memorable retaliatory smack in the gob. And as for having a conversation about it, I think it would simply be two words to my would-be attacker. The second of which would be 'off.'

[/quote]

I'm inclined to agree with this, Tylluan.

To use your analogy from earlier, CttC:
              [quote author=CttCJim link=topic=751.msg15621#msg15621 date=1290331619]
              ...then as I said before, that's getting into a moral issue and the psychic vampire community (insofar as there is one) frowns upon that. It's morally the difference between staring at a girl's cleavage and grabbing a handful...
              [/quote]

What Corvus describes seems less to me like someone staring at my cleavage, and more like some stranger leering at me, so close I can feel their breath. No reason for me to get offended if they haven't touched me, right?

If the way he went about it is potentially offensive, then how do you do it differently? Have you ever had someone become offended, or because you feel that you feed primarily off of electronic energy, has it been a non-issue?
              Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=751.msg16108#msg16108 date=1290452883]
                because you feel that you feed primarily off of electronic energy, has it been a non-issue?
                [/quote]
                This. Truth be told, I don't care for the empathy that comes with tapping human energy. When I'm tired, I soak up what's in the air, but I don't generally speaking sample directly from people.
                I'm mostly just harboring resentment from that one incident on the train when I was exhausted and someone spikey sat next to me and put the whammy on me. That pissed me off more than a little.

Comment

I have to say it was mostly my fault. It was mostly shocking and uncomfertable than anything else. I saw someone who was human and had a decent amount of power and being the jack--s I am decided to poke at it. There was some minor damage to my tendrils but nothing lasting. Deseret's example is preety much sums it up, I was breathing down his metaphysical neck.

*snip*
                  What Corvus describes seems less to me like someone staring at my cleavage, and more like some stranger leering at me, so close I can feel their breath. No reason for me to get offended if they haven't touched me, right?
                  *snip*

Let's expand of that and say you dragged your nails down the side of my face. It'll heal I totally deserved it. If this dude just so happens to be on pf, Sorry for being such an --- I was the blond haired kid in the red hoodie that tried to examine your aura sorry!
                  Circe

Comment

What is the best and worst thing about being a psychic vampire?

Do different electrics have different feeling energies? Like, say, a toaster compared to a sandwich press? Or microwave compared to oven?

Comment

[quote author=PharaohKatt link=topic=751.msg17322#msg17322 date=1290730359]
                      What is the best and worst thing about being a psychic vampire?

Do different electrics have different feeling energies? Like, say, a toaster compared to a sandwich press? Or microwave compared to oven?
                      [/quote]

Best: being very aware of my own energies and better able to use them.
                      Worst: needing to constantly monitor and supplement those energies lest they run low.

I can't say I've thought a lot about different appliances, but yes, there are differences. Small tabletop appliances are very self-contained. Lights are very leaky. Computers are more steady and controlled but very high-energy. (when i was having a mysterious crashing issue i upgraded to a 1000W PSU)

Comment

[quote author=CttCJim link=topic=751.msg17324#msg17324 date=1290730901]
                        I can't say I've thought a lot about different appliances, but yes, there are differences. Small tabletop appliances are very self-contained.
                        [/quote]

I find it interesting that you would say this, considering that they are some of the most energetically wasteful pieces of equipment when not in direct use...
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=751.msg17347#msg17347 date=1290737928]
                          I find it interesting that you would say this, considering that they are some of the most energetically wasteful pieces of equipment when not in direct use...
                          [/quote]

True, but most also have thick, pretty plastic bodies, designed to block emission of radiation and clutter up my kitchen. The material insulating seems to make a big difference for me.

Comment

Interesting...

Does that mean it's also harder to feed off of someone who's chubby, or wearing a think winter coat?
                            Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=751.msg17526#msg17526 date=1290791824]
                              Interesting...

Does that mean it's also harder to feed off of someone who's chubby, or wearing a think winter coat?
                              [/quote]

I was wondering the same thing. Does it work in the same way (I ask because you mentioned the plastic specifically), or is it different somehow?
                              It's a really, really cool thing, to be able to show people that you can be yourself, and you should be proud of yourself, and you should own who you are and what you're about, and never make apologies for it.
                              -Adam Lambert

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Comment

[quote author=Deseret link=topic=751.msg17526#msg17526 date=1290791824]
                                Interesting...

[/quote]

If that is so I am SAFE! Chubby girl here says no feeding here tonight!
                                [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRTarynctKo[/youtube]
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X