Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

What do you think?
    [4:82]

Comment

And the closest the Brits have to John Wayne is Sean Connery ...

And then there is always Dame Sir Elton John ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by Dumuzi View Post
        What do you think?
        i think that windshield wipers are windscreen wipers, i've never heard of slappy ham as a face. A face is a face. I'm not sure about blueberry pancakes as clammy rogers, i think that might be a dialect thing. A pen is a pen, or biro, a popsicle is an icelolly, and a gun is a gun.

Comment

In cockney rhyming slang a face could be a 'boat race' = boat.

Almost Lost's comments are the same for my part of the world too.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Rhyming slang? ... Like getting in Barney? ... Barney Rubble ... Trouble ...
            I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by magusjinx View Post
              Rhyming slang? ... Like getting in Barney? ... Barney Rubble ... Trouble ...
              Exactly magus, cockney rhyming slang. dog and bone= phone. Apple and pears= stairs. I don't really know any more.

Comment

I got the Barney from movie ... "Oceans Eleven" ... Always loved the line ...

A=Looks like we're in Barney ...

B=What??? ...

A=Barney ...

B=

A=Rubble ...

B=

A=TROUBLE ...

B=Oh ... Ok ...

Comment

Cockney rhyming slang is in a class of its own.... I don't pretend to know more than a smidgin. However a great one is a 'Richard.'
                  He is a right Richard.
                  I've just trodden in a Richard.

It comes from 'Richard the Third'.... get it?

Comment

I know richard as something else, not in rhyming slang or anything, but when i was little and in the car, my dad would call someone a richard head if they cut him up or something. I'm pretty sure you can guess what it means.

Comment

Lol my Dad used to call them bankers...
                      You can find some of my creative writing at http://libbyscribbles.com

Comment

Oh yes, spoonerisms, I'd forgotten about those - I wonder whether they're recognised in the US?

For example:
                        He was a wit of a banker
                        or
                        You have tasted to worms and must leave Oxford by the town drain....

Comment

Fit hits the shan ... yuck fou ...

Or combinations ... abso-friggin-lutely ...

Or initials ... BFD ... KMA ... SNAFU ... FUBAR ... FTS ...

Comment

The thing that still throws me off is when people from the UK say "getting off with someone" (which in the US means "made out"). The first time I ever heard it, it was because I kissed a friend of a friend at New Years and had a date with him, and my friend was like "yeah you got off with him" and I was like "I DID NOT!!!!" And E was like "yes you did...everyone saw you!" and then his wife (also a friend) explained to both of us that we were talking about different things. And now I know what it means, but when I hear it I still have to think about it for a second and remember that they're not telling me they slept with some guy but that they just snogged him.

Comment

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that one!

Another one where I live is the word 'after.' Now this is a Wenglish-ism and isn't even fully understood in parts of the UK. So here goes....

'Don't do that now, do it after.'
                              Which basically means 'later.' But for some reason where I live it's always 'after.'

Comment

We do spoonerism's here in MI. Often we use people's names. The best ones I have heard are probably Matt Foley = Fatt Moley or Becky Lamb = Lecky Bamb.

Also I have noticed people saying "shut the front door" meaning "shut the f*** up" I don't know where this came from but it makes me laugh every time.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X