Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

I use head shot for being hit in the head by a flying object, eg. in dodgeball, if you get hit in the face it is considered a head shot

Cornish: a'riiiiight!? - UK: Hey

We're a weird bunch XD
    "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
    - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amelia-Mary View Post
      I use head shot for being hit in the head by a flying object, eg. in dodgeball, if you get hit in the face it is considered a head shot

Cornish: a'riiiiight!? - UK: Hey

We're a weird bunch XD
      And in Cornwall Oggi means a pastie, doesn't it?

In Wales Oggi Oggi Oggi is a chant at rugby matches....
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        MMmmmmmmm pasties. I wish there was some way to mail them to me.

Mostly art.

Comment

Nipple covers or baked snack?
          Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
            Uhm, the snack?

Mostly art.

Comment

Meat, potatoes and veg baked in a circular piece of pastry and folded in half... sometimes miners would have the savoury at one end of the pasty and jam at the other for 'afters' (dessert?)

Comment

hahahaha the nipple covers lmao

Comment

Gosh I've just realised how bad my eyesight is... I thought Denarius said 'nipple covers or baked smack?'

Sheesh...

Comment

In Wales Oggi Oggi Oggi is a chant at rugby matches....

I have never once heard it called that in a serious way... Someone called them that to take the mick out of someone who thought it was a genuine thing, but it coulda been a genuine thing 'back in the day' when miners ate them, cornish mining slang LOL

Comment

Warning: This post contains language that may be found offensive. If you do not wish so be, read no further. If you ignore this warning on your own head be it.

Okay, I have two things to ask those who speak, or have knowledge of, British English.

1) I have been spending too much time watching British TV series lately and an expression was uttered that I found amusing, "Bloody Nora". Well, I have heard Bloody Hell, but not this one. Whatever did Nora do? Anyone know of the origins of this one?
                      2) "Naff", at least that that is how I think it is spelled. What was said was that an assignment the person was being sent on was, "complete naff". What does that mean?

Any help at all would be appreciated. And if this post did offended you, though. I did warn you.
                      Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRaven View Post
                        Warning: This post contains language that may be found offensive. If you do not wish so be, read no further. If you ignore this warning on your own head be it.

Okay, I have two things to ask those who speak, or have knowledge of, British English.

1) I have been spending too much time watching British TV series lately and an expression was uttered that I found amusing, "Bloody Nora". Well, I have heard Bloody Hell, but not this one. Whatever did Nora do? Anyone know of the origins of this one?
                        2) "Naff", at least that that is how I think it is spelled. What was said was that an assignment the person was being sent on was, "complete naff". What does that mean?

Any help at all would be appreciated. And if this post did offended you, though. I did warn you.
                        They're not very offensive in the UK No idea who Nora is, but yes, Bloody Nora is fairly common in South Wales at least, along with Hellin' Nora and Bloody Hellin' Nora.
                        Naff just means 'a bit off' a 'bit wrong.' Usually we tend to say 'a bit naff' rather than just 'naff' but I expect other parts of the UK do it differently.
                        Which TV programme was it on?

Comment

Naff down here, if you were to say "It was a bit naff really" you'd be referring to the subject being a little bit sh*t

Comment

They're not very offensive in the UK No idea who Nora is, but yes, Bloody Nora is fairly common in South Wales at least, along with Hellin' Nora and Bloody Hellin' Nora.
                            Naff just means 'a bit off' a 'bit wrong.' Usually we tend to say 'a bit naff' rather than just 'naff' but I expect other parts of the UK do it differently.
                            Which TV programme was it on?
                            It was the TV-series Spooks, season 2 to be precise. I used to lavo to watch them, but then the channel that ran them just stopped some years back and I forgot. So some of my friends got me the first three season as a birthday present last year, but I haven't really had time to watch them untill now. They use a lot of funny, that is British, expressions, and while I understand most I had never heard naff before.
                            As for Nora I just loved that one, made me giggle and wonder who she was. Also it was an expletive but I had no idea how strong it was. On one hand the situation certainly warranted strong language, think it was a dirty bomb that would cover most of Ireland, Wales and Eastern England, on the other hand it's a primetime TV series so...?
                            Thanks for you help.
                            Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

When folks over in Europe refer to America, do they tend to mean USA, North America in general, or those continents across the ocean that could still use a little maturing?
                              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                                When folks over in Europe refer to America, do they tend to mean USA, North America in general, or those continents across the ocean that could still use a little maturing?
                                It annoys me so much when U.S. and other countries refer to people who live in the U.S. as Americans. There needs to be a new title for those who live in the United States. Calling someone American should mean anyone who lives in North and South America, just like European means anyone living in Europe. We don't call the British "Europeans" and then say that the Irish are just Irish. If you want to get extremely literal, the title American SHOULD be used for a Canadian, A Mexican, and a Brazilian... All those different countries that are a part of North and South America. Not just the U.S.

Comment

Working...
                                X