Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Ok. Lets get a wee bit of Scottish in here!

Wain or Bairn- child.
    Gantin- Horrible or gross. Normally gross.
    Coupin'- Face
    Driche- "It's well driche outside"- wet, windy... basically Scottish weather.

I have more but that's a start I also have loads of British army phrases... I wonder how they translate across the water? x
    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

I probably annoy the shit out of people, for borrowing so many regional and cultural phrases. From dog's bollocks to bonnie lass, I just enjoy expanding the range of words I can use for whatever situation.

Bugger it! If someone gets annoyed by it, it ain't my smeg! Let them sort it out.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Here's a bit of Wenglish.... dwt (you pronounce it to rhyme with put.) It means something very small.... or not. My St Bernard, Noah Penry, for example, is just a sweet little dwti.
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post

I have more but that's a start I also have loads of British army phrases... I wonder how they translate across the water? x
          lol! I know we got a good chunk of our Naval phrases from ya'll...some of it originated on its own though too

(Notice the proper use of the term ya'll)

only because I don't remember if I did this before or not, and I'm too lazy to check...

some not so common Naval terminology (since we all know what port and starboard are):
          english-->navy

a phrase used when you know you are getting screwed-->bohica (bend over, here it comes again)
          a person that will make themselves look good at your expense-->Bravo Foxtrot (which stands for "buddy fucker")
          water fountain or gossip-->scuttlebutt
          going to the bathroom (#2)-->Combat Dump, Putting the Marines ashore, Inserting the SEAL team
          warm weather gear (like a snowsuit)-->fart suit
          junk food-->geedunk
          white US Navy sailor's hat-->Dixie cup
          slacker/messy and disorganized person-->a soup-sandwich...example: Seaman Schmuckatelli is such a soup sandwich, he showed up late for watch in yesterday's uniform, AGAIN!
          in the wee hours of the morning--> O'dark thirty (referring to a time like 3:30 am---which would be 0330 in military time)
          PA system-->1MC (really the circuit that a ship's main announcements are made over, but sailors will call any main announcing system the 1MC)
          when you try to restart an aircraft's engines in air-->blowjob
          garrison cover (which is a type of hat)-->pisscutter
          junior enlisted medic (hospital corpsman)-->Baby Doc
          any period of time that starts at midnight-->Balls to ______ (for example, Balls-to-4 would be a time period from 0000-0400 or midnight to 4 am)
          anonymous-->any mouse
          self serve icecream machines-->auto dog (because it looks like a pile of dog poop when it comes out the dispenser)
          when someone leaves you with their work for you to do--getting bagged
          going really fast-->balls to the wall (its some sort of submarine slang)
          taking a urinalisys for drugs--> Whiz Quiz, Command Pee (when everyone at a duty station has to do it at that same time), Pissin' for the Man
          getting kicked out of the navy as a "Bad Conduct Discharge"-->Big Chicken Dinner
          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
            I probably annoy the shit out of people, for borrowing so many regional and cultural phrases. From dog's bollocks to bonnie lass, I just enjoy expanding the range of words I can use for whatever situation.

Bugger it! If someone gets annoyed by it, it ain't my smeg! Let them sort it out.

LOL! Me too. I worry about offending, but then I like to expand my vocabulary and I admire all things British completely. Even since I heard Amy Pond use the word "sorted", I can't stop using it. She is my mum, after all. ROTFL! ;^_^
            My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Scapegrace? What the heck is this? I just came across it now. Okay, I know what it means, because I know what the word translated as 'scapegrace' means, but.. what the hell? Who uses this word? I have never in my life heard someone or something called a scapegrace. Anyone know this word?
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                Scapegrace? What the heck is this? I just came across it now. Okay, I know what it means, because I know what the word translated as 'scapegrace' means, but.. what the hell? Who uses this word? I have never in my life heard someone or something called a scapegrace. Anyone know this word?

only in reading older stuff...like (American) Civil War era stuff.

But yeah, it means someone so awful they are outside of the grace of God...
                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

Again I've only seen it in historical stuff... and then only once or twice...

Comment

Peter from the podcasts I listen to, just said something interesting and I was wondering what others make of it.

He said that the word 'toilet' is considered quite wait, what was his word.. crude in the US (I scrolled to exactly the moment he said this, first time, but there was no one here to hi five me...). He then went on to say that even between friends, people tend to avoid this word and usually say 'bathroom'.

Is this true? Do any of my fellow Brits think toilet is a crude word? Around here, people always use it and I am far more likely to say, 'I'm going to the toilet' or 'do you know where the toilets are?' than bathroom. I mean, there's no bath in a public toilet so it seems a bit weird to say 'bathroom' unless you are at a home where they have a combined toilet and bathroom.

'Where is the toilet?' was brought up in one of the Japanese threads at some point and I'm sure it was Americans who were discussing it. So it can't be so bad, right?
                    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Well regarding toilet vs bathroom. It depends on who you talk to, I asked if I could go to the bathroom the other day adn was told, that was too much information... toilet is the word used to refer to the porcelian apparatus, while bathroom is the room it is kept in for the most part, the other room is the powder room the one without a tub or shower, but not many people use that word anymore. like watercloset it has fallen out of common usage.
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

I don't know anyone with a problem with toilet in the UK. Crapper and bog might be considered a bit crude though

And in welsh we say 'Ty bach' meaning a little house. Some places here still have an outdoor loo down the bottom of the garden....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                          I don't know anyone with a problem with toilet in the UK. Crapper and bog might be considered a bit crude though

And in welsh we say 'Ty bach' meaning a little house. Some places here still have an outdoor loo down the bottom of the garden....
                          Haha, yeah. Up here, an outdoor toilet, in the garden, is called a 'netty'. My Gran still has a netty, but they're getting rare now. When I was a little girl, I used to see them quite often, but now it seems most people pull them out. You will sometimes hear Geordies use netty to mean any toilet, but it tends to be older people I think.

Oh and Maria, yeah, we still get told it's TMI to announce it, but not because 'toilet' is necessarily a rude word.

Comment

It's like Marie says, using the word "toilet" in the US depends on who you are around. For the elderly people in my family or older people around me, I say "bathroom" to be polite. Around my friends I may say "toilet" or "bathroom". With close friends I'm a lot crude and will say, "Be right back, I gotta take a dump!" or "Excuse me, I have to piss like a Russian horse." That kind of bar room talk isn't good around my mother or older conservatives. My close friends don't mind and think it's funny. ;^_^
                            My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                              Peter from the podcasts I listen to, just said something interesting and I was wondering what others make of it.

He said that the word 'toilet' is considered quite wait, what was his word.. crude in the US (I scrolled to exactly the moment he said this, first time, but there was no one here to hi five me...). He then went on to say that even between friends, people tend to avoid this word and usually say 'bathroom'.

Is this true? Do any of my fellow Brits think toilet is a crude word? Around here, people always use it and I am far more likely to say, 'I'm going to the toilet' or 'do you know where the toilets are?' than bathroom. I mean, there's no bath in a public toilet so it seems a bit weird to say 'bathroom' unless you are at a home where they have a combined toilet and bathroom.

'Where is the toilet?' was brought up in one of the Japanese threads at some point and I'm sure it was Americans who were discussing it. So it can't be so bad, right?

In public/polite company around here, its usually the "restroom" rather than "bathroom" (which we use at home)...the "bathroom" being a place with a bath/shower. I don't think its that it is rude, but rather incorrect. Toilet being the actual thing you sit on, not the name of the room where you go to do your business.
                              sigpic

Comment

So if someone wanted to use the word 'toilet' it would actually be better to say, 'I'm going to use the toilet', rather than 'I'm going TO the toilet' as we would, which could be taken as the room or the thing you sit on?

I'm sometimes surprised myself by what interests me!

Comment

Working...
                                X