Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Yes, V, we sometimes use it to mean 'knocked' as in bonking a head.... but then it can also have that double meaning too....
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

So bonkers are unripe conkers? That's cool!

I learnt a new English word recently. 'Comfort station'. I have no idea where it is used, but I know I like it. There's a bit of a back story to how I came to uncover this most pleasant of words for a loo, but I won't bore you with it.

Wait, I'm Jembru. Of COURSE I'll recite a pointlessly long anecdote.

So, being the mature adults we are, JP and I like nothing more than to ask our Japanese friends to teach us childish words, like fart (onara (suru/koku)) and constipation (benpi). We discovered that in stark contrast to English, Japanese lacks slang words for toilet. They have plenty for naughty body parts and naughty acts involving said body parts, but nothing slangy for a toilet.

So we invented one ourselves, 'benbako' (crap-box), and we're hoping it will one day take off in Japan. We explained this to our new friend who transfered here from Japan. He said there is already a similar word, 'benjo'.

Next morning, after I threw up in a pan (drank WAY too much), I looked it up to see how common it was, and amongst the English translations was, 'comfort station'. Stuff the crap-box, it's the comfort station for me from now on...
      夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I enjoyed reading that perhaps more than I should have, Jem. I love your pointlessly long anecdotes

Mostly art.

Comment

Love comfort station.... If I mention that to Mr Penry I'll never get him out of there. My favourite word for the loo in my youth, was Bog.

Comment

Oh I do like bog. I was just blown away by 'comfort station'. I'd love to know where this word originates. It's the kind of thing I'd imagine an airline making up to avoid sounding crude. It's things like this that make me so addicted to linguistics. I just wish I had one of those brains that could carry several languages at once. I could try to learn a few more, but I'd be in serious danger of forgetting where I live.
            夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I told Mr Penry about the comfort station and he headed there straight away. He was particularly interested in the 'ben' prefix being 'crap'.... says he will never regard Ben Stiller in quite the same way again...

Comment

I think the Ben prefix may actually be box... bako is more likely crap...
                http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Yes, ben is 'crap'. It's a bit less slangy than 'kuso' with which Maria is probably more familiar as meaning 'sh*t' (Japanese don't really have swear words the way English does, but for once I'll skip the pointless lecture). Box is 'hako', but as we were using it in a compound after 'n' the h becomes b. I asked why this happens in another Japanese thread here and apparently it's just for ease of pronunciation.

Anyway, Ken Tanaka, a caucasian comedian who pretends to be Japanese and speaks the language fluently, made a video on youtube where we visited London. He pointed out the hilarity that we have a clock tower called 'big ben'. Now whenever we look at big ben, all we see is a giant crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                    Anyway, Ken Tanaka, a caucasian comedian who pretends to be Japanese and speaks the language fluently, made a video on youtube where we visited London. He pointed out the hilarity that we have a clock tower called 'big ben'. Now whenever we look at big ben, all we see is a giant crap.
                    *Falls over laughing*

Comment

It explains why it's always surrounded by Asian tourists taking photo's with massive grins on their faces!

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                        Yes, ben is 'crap'. It's a bit less slangy than 'kuso' with which Maria is probably more familiar as meaning 'sh*t' (Japanese don't really have swear words the way English does, but for once I'll skip the pointless lecture). Box is 'hako', but as we were using it in a compound after 'n' the h becomes b. I asked why this happens in another Japanese thread here and apparently it's just for ease of pronunciation.

My japanese ability is "ben."
                        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                          My japanese ability is "ben."
                          You're allowed to be crap at a language you've never studied! You should hear my German now, and I DID study that! I bet you'll know words I don't. JP used a word from anime on Friday night that was so obscure, he had to explain it to our Japanese friends! I just know in anime, they say 'kuso' under their breath a lot, so guessed you'd more likely know this word.

Comment

This language confuses me...
                            People are meant to be loved,
                            And things are meant to be used.
                            The reason the world is chaos is because
                            People are being used and things are being loved.

Comment

one ive just noticed, in the us the use of the word damn seems to be just as bad as the use of the word F**K,

i mean myself and everyone i know, have never been tuaght of it as a swear word, more just an expression of displeasure or frustration.

Comment

Damn is pg, the other is pg-13 unless it's excessive which can bump it up to nc-17. They're both profane, but the F-word is considered vulgar as well.
                                Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Working...
                                X