Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Do they use 'feck' as a variant on the F word in the US? Mr Penry is particularly fond of inserting the word feck into songs. Christmas carols take on a whole new meaning in our house when you hear 'Feck the halls with boughs of holly...'

And I have to confess I still like 'bloody' and 'bleedin' as well....
    www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

I think my favorite britishism is "snogging". It's such a cool word all by itself, lol. Then of course, what it means, and it just sort of personifies cool.

Comment

haha is it mean girls i think where you have the british chick, using it around the americana lol, when its said in an american accent its soo funny. and snogging in us is frenching right?

Comment

Another word I quite like (and often use) is bollocking. It means telling off. As in 'I gave him a right bollocking....'

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
            Do they use 'feck' as a variant on the F word in the US? Mr Penry is particularly fond of inserting the word feck into songs. Christmas carols take on a whole new meaning in our house when you hear 'Feck the halls with boughs of holly...'

And I have to confess I still like 'bloody' and 'bleedin' as well....
            Not that I'm aware of. I use Feck, but that's the product of being too deeply entwined in British culture, but I've never heard a non-Brit use it before.

Personal pet peeve, though? Ho Hum. I know what it means, I know why it's used, but it just drives me mad.

Mostly art.

Comment

hahaha yes bollocking or just bollocks, its a very british word really aint it. what about brew, as in "would you like/ do you want a brew" do you say that in the US?

Comment

Yeh we say ya want a brew,and for the F word we use freaking so as to get the thought across without upsetting the "Gentle folks" read prudes..
                MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                  Yeh we say ya want a brew,
                  I've only ever heard it in irish bars, and then only once or twice. It's usually something like drink, or beer, or suds, or pint, or cold one, or very occasionally brewski.

Maybe it's an east coast thing?
                  Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

Or maybe it is the crowd I tend to hang with,but also used that term back in California too.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                      I've only ever heard it in irish bars, and then only once or twice. It's usually something like drink, or beer, or suds, or pint, or cold one, or very occasionally brewski.

Maybe it's an east coast thing?
                      Do you want a:
                      - beer
                      - brewski (commonly used here)
                      - brew (rarely)
                      - pint
                      - tasty beverage (but that might just be my group of friends)

Never heard suds before.

Mostly art.

Comment

see we use it for meaning a cup of tea or coffee

Comment

Suds is a very old term,like getting myself a bucket of suds. You used to get your beer from the bar for take out in a bucket way back in the 1800's

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Originally posted by Kahlenda View Post
                            see we use it for meaning a cup of tea or coffee
                            Really? So what do you cal beer then?
                            Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

a beer, or a pint if your in the bar, or a (lager, bitter, ale, cider)

Comment

And pinta usually refers to milk rather than beer in my part of the world. A chaser means you're drinking whiskey after a beer.

Even in the UK there are huge regional differences in speech. So for when the tea is ready, I would probably say 'tea's brewed' (even though technically there's no brewing involved) whereas someone else would say 'tea's stewed' and in some areas it's 'tea's mashed.'

Butt is a word that has another meaning in my part of the world. It means a friend. So if someone greets you 'Hiya butt' they are NOT telling you to lift your arse (or ass). Usually though, it's 'All right, butt?' (and from a complete stranger too, so don't worry if this happens to you, you're not likely to be assaulted in any way. )

Bloody headshot it is, I reckon. And that's something else in my part of the world - the word order changes dramatically. As in: 'Lord of the Rings last night I seen. And I enjoyed it!'

You have to remember that Welsh people from the Valleys are gloriously theatrical. Almost every conversation is a performance. Often full volume. We talk to people we've never met, often about quite intimate things... and funerals. We're obsessed with bloody death...

And do you know? I bloody well love it here!

Comment

Working...
                                X