Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

You know this is quickly becoming my favourite thread

Who was it that said: "The British and the Americans are two people divided by a common language". That I think was back in the late 1800's and apparently even in this era of instant international communication there are still wild differences between the two. Makes it so much fun to learn the language.

Well I learned British English in school, but of course have learned a lot of American through the media. Well I had a friend in uni who was American and one day we went shopping for underwear. Now she was a bra person, but I have never been so I said I'd go a bit down the aisles and look at the vests. She went "But this is a shop for underwear, you won't find any vests in here."
    The Brits will likely get this one and the Americans will sit back and think "Darn it woman, she was right"
    Warning: The above post may contain traces of sarcasm.

An apostrophe is the difference between a business that knows its shit, and a business that knows it's shit.

"Why is every object we don't understand always called a thing?" (McCoy. Star Trek: The Moive Picture)

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
      And that's something else in my part of the world - the word order changes dramatically. As in: 'Lord of the Rings last night I seen. And I enjoyed it!'
      So Yoda was Welsh?
      Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        So Yoda was Welsh?
        Of course he was! He originated from Upper Cwmtwch, also known as the Lost City. He was originally a primary school teacher on a council allotment, but they threw him out for upsetting all the cabbages.

And not a lot of people know this, but the famous Edith Piaf song, 'Non, je ne regrette rien' originated not far from where I live, too. Only in the original version it was, 'I regret everything, it was terrible, and I'm so very very sorry....'

(and in case anyone really doesn't get that, we Welsh have a bit of a reputation for melancholia....)
        www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Of course he was! He originated from Upper Cwmtwch,
          Cwmtwch = cooomtwick, for the uninitiated!

At least, I think. I haven't been. I've been to Cwmbran though!

Mostly art.

Comment

Cwmbran isn't far from Newport so you might enjoy this spoof: http://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM

The accent isn't quite the same as where I am - but if you ever get a chance to watch a TV series called 'Stella' then that's from my part of the world!

Comment

i moved to Caerphilly about ten years ago and it took me ages to get used to "butt." Also the "over by here"/"over by me"/where's that to?" constructions but i say them all the time now

Comment

Welcome to the Welsh Valleys!
                Ah yes, the by here, by there, over by there, and of course, 'where to is that by then?'

And have you come across 'It's pickin' rain?' (meaning it's starting to rain...)

Comment

Cwmbran isn't far from Newport so you might enjoy this spoof: http://youtu.be/Eijc2tGe-zM

The accent isn't quite the same as where I am - but if you ever get a chance to watch a TV series called 'Stella' then that's from my part of the world!
                  That was actually quite amusing...

Mostly art.

Comment

Does rude mean something different in UKish? From what I gather it means pertaining to genitals.
                    Trust is knowing someone or something well enough to have a good idea of their motivations and character, for good or for ill. People often say trust when they mean faith.

Comment

American: Hoodie

Canadian: "Bunny Hug"

Slovenian: zajčji objemi

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                        American: Hoodie

Canadian: "Bunny Hug"

Slovenian: zajčji objemi
                        I am Canadian and I have NEVER heard it called a 'bunny hug'

In the 80s they were Kangaroo Jackets, though.

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by Denarius View Post
                          Does rude mean something different in UKish? From what I gather it means pertaining to genitals.
                          To be honest, 'rude' is one of those words that seems to have undergone a bit of a sea change here in the UK. It used to mean rude as in indelicate, or impolite, or lacking respect. It could also mean something a bit rough and ready, as in 'rude manners.' Nowadays I've heard it used to mean unfair too.

I still stick with the meaning of rude as in ill mannered, as in 'So-and-so is a rude old bastard.'

Comment

UK: Jumper - US: Sweater

UK: Trousers - US: Pants ("Walking through town with no pants on" really has a crucial meaning here)

UK: Aluminium - US: Aluminum
                            "Otwarty świat; rany zamknięte."
                            - Open world; Wounds closed.

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              I am Canadian and I have NEVER heard it called a 'bunny hug'

In the 80s they were Kangaroo Jackets, though.
                              Really? Maybe it's just a certain area of Canada that uses that. :P

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                                Really? Maybe it's just a certain area of Canada that uses that. :P
                                Where were you that you heard it? Maybe it's an east coast thing, or something. But yeah, we call them hoodies here.

Mostly art.

Comment

Working...
                                X