Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

[quote author=Eryx_UK link=topic=758.msg14893#msg14893 date=1290172392]
    I was incredibly surprised by Buffy the Vampire Slayers use of the term wanker on a prime time show. Over here its a swear word, though a minor one but not something you would hear on a early/mid evening TV. American friends told me that it's not considered a swear word over in the US. I find that rather odd.

Another one that got me was a friend went over to the states a few years ago and got some very odd looks for asking "can I bum a fag?" Which means over here, if you have a spare cigarette can I have one? The term meant somethig very different to his American friends. :-[
    [/quote]

You should watch Married With Children some time. Katey Segal's character, Peg Bundy, was born Peggy Wanker and was originally from Wanker County. In high school they would say, "Peggy Wanker, don't bother to thank her!"

What I find amusing is that just the sound of the word "wanker" can give one a clue as to what it means, but we don't consider it vulgar at all. What we're not allowed to say in polite company or on daytime tv is "jerk-off" or "jack-off." And yet, the popular phrase on Happy Days was "sit on it." :

A recent discovery on my part: US: Bathrobe = UK: Dressing gown

There's a mix around here of "soda" and "pop," but I'd say the greater population, in this area, says pop. It gets on my nerves when people argue about it. They both came from the term "soda pop," so they're both technically "correct." I grew up saying pop, but I use both.
    Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
    -Erik Erikson

Comment

I have a question!
      I explained Scottish education system, so can someone explain the American education system? Use my post as reference so I understand please x
      "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg18333#msg18333 date=1291057009]
        I have a question!
        I explained Scottish education system, so can someone explain the American education system? Use my post as reference so I understand please x
        [/quote]

If you mean what I think you mean then our education system goes like this

Pre-school (if your children go....is school for toddlers and you have to pay tuition)
        Kindergarten
        1st grade
        2nd grade
        3rd grade
        4th grade
        5th grade

^above are what we call elementary school grades (here in missouri anyways)

6th grade
        7th grade
        8th grade

^above would be middle school or Junior High

9th, 10th, 11th, 12th (freshman, sophmore, junior, senior)

That is highschool. After you complete 12th you either go to college (not publically funded...we dont have that here) or you dont LOL

And if your meaning something different then disregard this post LOL

Forgot to add that most children go to public schools (state ran, free education) but we do have private schools as well which charge tuition

Comment

Ahh! Ok I get it Tah!
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

Most kids start school (elementary) at age 5 or 6 depending on when your birthday falls. For example...My son started Kindergarten at age 5 because his birthday is in december so he was already 5 before the start of the year and the birthday cut off.

Now My daughter started this year and she's 6. She didnt start because her birthday is 10 days past our birthday cut off for starting elementary school (which is august 1st)

Comment

Thanks Amber... but, FW, I did that back on page 3.
              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Obviously I need to actually READ the thread I am posting in :P x

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg18580#msg18580 date=1291114970]Obviously I need to actually READ the thread I am posting in :P x[/quote]

It might not be a bad idea.
                  "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

In the U.S. if you bonk something you've struck it or hit it. Such as he bonked her over the head with a book. I believe this term is used in a much different way in the U.K. is it not? If you told somebody you intended to bonk them they more then likely would be offended.
                    Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

[quote author=Monk link=topic=758.msg19887#msg19887 date=1291511130]
                      In the U.S. if you bonk something you've struck it or hit it. Such as he bonked her over the head with a book. I believe this term is used in a much different way in the U.K. is it not? If you told somebody you intended to bonk them they more then likely would be offended.
                      [/quote]

Possibly, since over here 'bonk' usually means 'to have sex with....'
                      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

[quote author=Tylluan Penry link=topic=758.msg19890#msg19890 date=1291512341]
                        Possibly, since over here 'bonk' usually means 'to have sex with....'
                        [/quote]

Here, that would be 'boink'.
                        Allow me to lend a machete to your intellectual thicket. ~ Captain Jack Sparrow

sigpic

Comment

[quote author=cesara link=topic=758.msg19931#msg19931 date=1291518631]

Here, that would be 'boink'.
                          [/quote]

Where I am in the Uk 'boink' means to have sex with and 'bonk' means to hit
                          http://thefeministpagan.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

[quote author=shadow1982 link=topic=758.msg20081#msg20081 date=1291584198]
                            Where I am in the Uk 'boink' means to have sex with and 'bonk' means to hit
                            [/quote]

Here, both can be used interchangeably...
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

[quote author=thalassa link=topic=758.msg20095#msg20095 date=1291591966]
                              Here, both can be used interchangeably...
                              [/quote]

Up here too. X

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard the word 'boink' being used. Instead they would say they've 'bashed his head in...'

www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Working...
                                X