Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Differences between US and UK English (and others....)

I don't think we actually say "i boinked him over the head" to mean i hit him, however we do say "boink" when we hit someone if were making it a joke, so boink is the noise the hit would make... If that make sense.

Comment

Ok, i have a question for the americans, i read in the paper today that Pam anderson loves british food and she "cant wait to find a pub so she can eat chips and vinegar"
      So...
      What condiments do you use with your fries (chips)?

Here we use:
      Ketchup
      Malt vinegar
      salt
      mayo
      hendersons relish (very muhc a regional thing. When i visit the US i'm bringing some along)
      bbq sauce
      salad cream
      brown sauce
      gravy (if you'd class that as a condiment)

I cant think of anything else...

Comment

<---wonders if salad cream=salad dressing

<---also wonders what brown sauce is

I like honey mustard on my fries, but I'll do catsup also.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

YOU DON'T HAVE BROWN SAUCE?! What is wrong with the world...

And salad cream is similar to salad dressing but with a thicker base and usually made from mayonnaise.
          "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Curry made as a gravy and poured over the chips is popular here, too!

Yes, I like brown sauce....
            www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Brown sauce (also known as HP Sauce)

Salad cream

I was going to add curry sauce to the list Tylluan but that would have spurred me onto a whole new branch of "things you have with chips" which would have to include cheese, or chilli, or cheese and chilli...or bolognase etc etc etc

My personal favourites are Hendersons or Vinegar.

Also.. Whats catsup?... nvm i googled... catsup is ketchup... i personally prefer calling it tomato sauce or red sauce...

Comment

[quote author=Almost_lost link=topic=758.msg20585#msg20585 date=1291746939]
                Brown sauce (also known as HP Sauce)

[/quote]

OH!!

Its like steak sauce!

Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                sigpic

Comment

I like HP Sauce!

MIL is friends with a sweet lady from Scotland, and her grandkids love sandwiches with HP, ham, and cream cheese. That is so addictive.

In Mormon locations, you eat fries with fry sauce. You can even get it bottled specially at the store. I prefer it homemade with horseradish added, myself...but L points out that I also am guilty of eating both fries and pizza with ranch dressing on a regular basis....also a regional thing, that he finds kinda gross.
                  Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

On my chips it is salt and vinegar and tomato sauce
                    "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

Comment

What do you guys call someone who doesnt get into the christmas spirit/doesnt like christmas?...

I call them a Humbug or Scrooge... both as in Scrooge from a Christmas Carol.

Comment

Grinch!

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg20803#msg20803 date=1291832779]
                          Grinch!
                          [/quote]

Really? I thought that was an american thing. I thought most peope in the UK called the Scrooges

Comment

Well my dad says humbug. Oh and Victor.

Comment

[quote author=FantasyWitch link=topic=758.msg20806#msg20806 date=1291834416]
                              Well my dad says humbug. Oh and Victor.
                              [/quote]
                              as in meldrew? (dunno how you spell his surname lol)

Comment

I had a chuckle last summer when a visiting girl from England said she couldn't go swimming because she didn't have her "swimming costume", and then her mom said she could go in in her "bloomers".
                                What you see depends on what you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
                                X