X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Purpose do Humans Serve In our Ecosystem

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Yeah yeah
    So you stated we as humans are the ones to end this cycle of the the earth's birth and death and birth again. That's like saying yeah, we are supposed to be this shitty of a species. That's the ticket! It's an excuse. A rationalization. A way to make us sound special. Oh look at us. WE are the species chosen by 'fill in the blank' to end the world! WE are sooo special. When in fact we just suck at following the very basic simple rules of life. Every other creature on this planet(brains or not) has figured out this shit.

We. Have not.
    Damn girl.. you're speaking my language! It just needs a couple of kitty ears and some misused punctuation and I'd think we were long lost sisters.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Yeah yeah
      So you stated we as humans are the ones to end this cycle of the the earth's birth and death and birth again. That's like saying yeah, we are supposed to be this shitty of a species. That's the ticket! It's an excuse. A rationalization. A way to make us sound special. Oh look at us. WE are the species chosen by 'fill in the blank' to end the world! WE are sooo special. When in fact we just suck at following the very basic simple rules of life. Every other creature on this planet(brains or not) has figured out this shit.

We. Have not.
      Less of everyone else has figured it out and more of we're the only ones with the capacity to bungle things on the scale we do. Tigers can't clear a forest to put up a city so we have no idea if they would. Same applies to just about everything not human. Inability to screw up at a certain level doesn't equal the wisdom not to.
      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
        Less of everyone else has figured it out and more of we're the only ones with the capacity to bungle things on the scale we do. Tigers can't clear a forest to put up a city so we have no idea if they would. Same applies to just about everything not human. Inability to screw up at a certain level doesn't equal the wisdom not to.
        I read that part differently. I didn't take it as meaning that other animals have chosen not to destroy their natural habitat, so much as they are able to follow their basic instincts in such a way as to know which part of the forest to sh*t in. With the exception of newcastle's big market on a Friday night (it's true you know, girls up here really do dress like hookers, drink like truckers and start fights with one another on a weekly basis), most humans have lost their basic instincts. We need to be told how to give birth, and some don't even know where to stick it in the first place to even make a baby, especially if they were raised in a way that shielded them from such sinful topics.

Then again, I doubt Medusa was being literal in either case.
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Beavers build dams by chewing trees.

We build much bigger dams with our hands, the aid of engineers, and by mixing concrete and rebar.

If beavers had thumbs, engineers, concrete and rebar, I wonder what they'd do?

I don't know. I doubt if beavers have ever thought about it much themselves...
          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Humans are here to protect the chickens.

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by nbdy View Post
              Humans are here to protect the chickens.
              Uhoh. I've been doing that wrong.
              Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                Beavers build dams by chewing trees.

We build much bigger dams with our hands, the aid of engineers, and by mixing concrete and rebar.

If beavers had thumbs, engineers, concrete and rebar, I wonder what they'd do?

I don't know. I doubt if beavers have ever thought about it much themselves...
                I don't know about beavers, but I have ants living in the backyard and I can say that unchecked, those things will stop at nothing to grow their colonies, expand and conquer! I actually sprayed the pear tree this year because my attempts to control the aphids by natural means failed so bad thanks to the ants protecting them from predators, and cleaning them of anything homemade I tried, that the tree looked withered and sick by August last year.

Then there was the time these large winged beetles appeared in huge numbers everywhere (people on FB kept saying they were winged ants, but they weren't at all... To a zoology graduate it was like pointing at a cow and saying 'look a zebra!'. I got pretty frustrated in the end so stopped trying to identify them), the ants were hunting them and tearing them apart, marching around with bits of wing and leg everywhere I looked..

They're so human it's scary. We humans have the power of objective thought, we're self aware, but collectively we behave just as mindlessly. Coordinated yes, but mindless.

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
                  I don't know about beavers, but I have ants living in the backyard and I can say that unchecked, those things will stop at nothing to grow their colonies, expand and conquer! I actually sprayed the pear tree this year because my attempts to control the aphids by natural means failed so bad thanks to the ants protecting them from predators, and cleaning them of anything homemade I tried, that the tree looked withered and sick by August last year.

Then there was the time these large winged beetles appeared in huge numbers everywhere (people on FB kept saying they were winged ants, but they weren't at all... To a zoology graduate it was like pointing at a cow and saying 'look a zebra!'. I got pretty frustrated in the end so stopped trying to identify them), the ants were hunting them and tearing them apart, marching around with bits of wing and leg everywhere I looked..

They're so human it's scary. We humans have the power of objective thought, we're self aware, but collectively we behave just as mindlessly. Coordinated yes, but mindless.

Nature is red in tooth and claw.

Humans in general, but especially Pagans are horribly guilty of over-romanticizing and idolizing nature as some bucolic utopia.

Killer whales are a perfect example of this...or territoriality among the common chimp...or the mating habits of any number of animal species...
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    ?..or the mating habits of any number of animal species...
                    Like ducks, for instance. We've lost too many females to horny males, the little prevent rapists!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - that should be pervert, not prevent...
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Uhoh. I've been doing that wrong.
                      Fortunately, as an atheist, you need not fear the great chicken goddess in the hereafter. ;P

"No, no, you're not thinking; you're just being logical." -- Niels Bohr

Comment

All I know about Chickens is EVERYTHING tastes like them....copy cats!!!
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                          Nature is red in tooth and claw.

Humans in general, but especially Pagans are horribly guilty of over-romanticizing and idolizing nature as some bucolic utopia.

Killer whales are a perfect example of this...or territoriality among the common chimp...or the mating habits of any number of animal species...
                          You don't need to tell me! ^^

I dunno. In my experience, it's more the 'middle class, white light, never had to struggle, into anything generically spiritual' types who speak of nature being all love and balance. Maybe it's just because of my background in zoology that I've been drawn to like-minded pagans, but in my experience, and certainly here on PF, pagans are very much aware of how dark nature is, for some, it's their main reason for revering it. Although for me, it was another reason I came to hate the gods.

Comment

Working...
                          X