No announcement yet.

Mandatory GMO food labeling by states would be banned under proposed bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mandatory GMO food labeling by states would be banned under proposed bill

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Perhaps this helps as to where they come from. And also kinda scary.

This is actually artificial selection (plus antibiotic feed--antibiotics are used in food animals to speed up growth), not GMO*. Don't get me wrong, its still not good for the animal, but its not GMO.

*Genetically Modified Organisms is a specific thing where human-created or natural genes (from another organism) are transplanted into the genome of another organism...while some artificial selection that we have developed is extreme, natural selection can also develop some extremes (a narwhal's tusk, the feathers on a bird of paradise, etc).

GMOs aren't necessairly bad, in terms of health--some certainly can be...creating a pland that produces its own pesticides and then eating it is different that putting pesticides on a plant that you can wash off. Where it gets dicey, is in terms of the environemental effects---what happens when a gene that makes a plant resistent to a pesticide (so when you spray your field its not at all affected) gets into the natural analog of that plant? What happens with the *rest of the plant* in the plants that make their own pesticides? Those plants decompose somewhere... The environmental costs of these sorts changes are the problem.

But making rice or wheat more nutritious or tolerant to hotter, drier weather, or rot resistant...those things are likely harmless...and could probably be done with selective breeding given enough time. GMOs here are just a short cut.

Despite the bumper sticker on my car, I'm not anti-GMO. I'm not pro-GMO either. I'm pro-science. And (as the inner conservation biologist I went to school to be and the public health scientist I actually am) I believe very strongly in the Precautionary Principle. People should have the right to make informed choices...they can't do that if labeling is optional.
    Last edited by thalassa; 24 Jul 2015, 04:35.
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
      But making rice or wheat more nutritious or tolerant to hotter, drier weather, or rot resistant...those things are likely harmless...and could probably be done with selective breeding given enough time. GMOs here are just a short cut.
      Yup - we have some choices -

1. Voluntarily limit our reproduction

2. Force limit our reproduction

3. Muck about with growing food

4. Increase our intake of artificial food

5. Watch people starve

6. Other?

I'm sorry to say this to all the worshipers of all things "natural," but my preferences (which I think are pretty darned sensible for reasons that must be obvious) are a combination of 1& 3, plus whatever of 4 is necessary to prevent 2 & 5.

Unless there's a six... like colonies off-world... sometime soon...

Ya don't get everything. Ya gotta pick yer priorities.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

5. Watch people starve

6. Other?

I'm sorry to say this to all the worshipers of all things "natural," but my preferences (which I think are pretty darned sensible for reasons that must be obvious) are a combination of 1& 3, plus whatever of 4 is necessary to prevent 2 & 5.

I agree with this.

And, I hate the dichotomy we present between natural=good and artificial (man made)=bad (which used to be quite the opposite). It is what it is. The Guinea worm for all that it is "natural", smallpox, etc are not "good" and cars, books, intravenous medication, etc are not "bad". Its what you do with it. Its how you mitigate the harm that making or using it causes...and there are plenty of "natural" things that cause harm.

The sooner we start teaching our children about choices, and how our choices bounce around through nature and through humanity like a Rube Goldberg machine, and that we are still responsible for those far removed consequences, the better.
        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
        sigpic

Comment

Recent research in Britain shows that the nutritional value of many crops has fallen over the last 50 years. Even selective breeding has been carried out to increase yield (and hence profit) without any thought for the consumer or the environment. As for GM, that's to enable US companies to patent foods and charge farmers for permission grow them. Don't say it's to feed the hungry: as far as I know, all the GM crops to date have been for the US market - you don't see them producing GM sorghum or yams. As for the hungry, if the people of Africa didn't breed like rabbits (6 children per woman in Zimbabwe) and fight like rats in a sack (South Sudan, Nigeria, etc) they wouldn't be hungry.

If the USians are silly enough to allow their politicians to pass laws for the benefit of business rather than that of the people, that's their problem. Just so long as we don't get a trade agreement with the EU that enables their GM companies to come here, along with the chemical- and hormone- contaminated meat that we also ban!

Comment

India has been torn up with gmo crops that the farmers can't keep paying for, Have to buy new seed each year near as I recall.
            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
              India has been torn up with gmo crops that the farmers can't keep paying for, Have to buy new seed each year near as I recall.
              Oh, patenting genes is a huge problem. And not just the US court system messed this up (Canada, I'm giving you the stink eye).
              sigpic

Comment

Oh, patenting genes is a huge problem. And not just the US court system messed this up (Canada, I'm giving you the stink eye).
                I've seen it in some of our farmers fields where they can't save seeds or seed crops from year to year and its costing them quite a bit. One of the big issue's I saw and heard of from India, parts of Africa and even some areas of Southern Europe and the Black Sea region. Have to keep buying seeds and the seeds getting more and more expensive each year though the yields are actually less and less compared to cost.
                I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want to know that their food had been tampered with. Personally speaking, I have been buying only organic and non-gmo foods for the last 7 to 8 weeks and it's been a HUGE improvement for me, health wise.
                  �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                  ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                  Sneak Attack
                  Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

The knowing is important...even if you happen to like the GMO stuff..
                    MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Blegh, Patent system, Blegh

Kill the damn thing with FIRE!!!

A better one can be built over it's ashes.

The current copyright system needs to burn with it so that literature actually enters public domain again. Yes copyright has uses, no it should not be indefinite.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                        Blegh, Patent system, Blegh

Kill the damn thing with FIRE!!!

A better one can be built over it's ashes.

The current copyright system needs to burn with it so that literature actually enters public domain again. Yes copyright has uses, no it should not be indefinite.
                        It isn't. 70 years after the death of the author is the limit in the US, unless published prior to 1978 (in which case it is, I think, 98 years).

When I bought my first copy of The Lord of the Rings it had a very prominent notice on the back cover indicating that it was an official publication, approved by the author, because prior to that a copy had been published illegally (I think by Ace, now defunct) which paid no royalties to Tolkien.

People deserve to receive fair compensation for their work.
                        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

If copyright length is not extended again between now and 2020, I'll retract my claim on indefinite copyright. Given that a number of major IPs start becoming public domain in 2019, I'm not gonna bet my money or the money of anyone I care about on the odds of reaching 2020 without new copyright legislation.

I don't have an issue with a copyright system existing. In principle, it has a value. I have an issue with the one we have.
                          life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Ah.

Fair enough.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

5. Watch people starve

6. Other?

I totally agree. Sure, GM isn't ideal, but neither is famine. As Thal has said already, we could, in theory, achieve these resistant strains of crops through artificual selection, but it would be a slow and costly process, and the end result would be exactly the same. Why not fast track to the life-saving plants right now? I don't understand the anti-gm groups. Why aren't they complaining about cauliflower, carrots, beef cattle, Labrador dogs, or any of the other things we've meddled with to select desirable traits?

GM isn't the only answer though. Let's start by reducing food waste. Did you see Last Week Tonight's report on it? Up to 40% of food produced in the US ends up in landfill. That is shameful. The fact consumers are so picky about the shape and colour of food is ignorant (and again, GM could reduce waste here, by producing plants with more desirable fruit). The 'use by dates' on food aren't based on anything scientific but simply a 'best guess' by the producer, who has an interest on keeping it short to encourage people to buy more. An absolute slap in the face to the families relying on food banks.

We also honestly need to stop being so squeamish about eating insects. They hold the answer to the problem of feeding the planet, yet we won't even entertain them as a food source. According to the BBC, the same amount of food can produce twelve times the amount of protein as beef can. That's staggering. Take that soya!! They're also highly nutritious, and a natural part of the human diet.
                              Billions more hungry mouths are going to put more strain on the planet’s resources. Can eating creepy crawlies offer a solution?

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                              I was thinking of that giant rodent thing from south America...

The Capybara.

I read that they do roast them,and it is a staple.
                              This was on QI under the question, 'does the pope eat beaver'. Apparently the Catholic church considers both the capybara and the beaver as a type of fish, so they can be eaten on a Friday. So yes... The pope CAN eat beaver! ^^
                              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

I agree. Reducing waste food is desirable.

Tell us how to do it?

(I empty my refrigerator weekly, and use as much as possible - bones always end up as soup, for example. But what about the producers of food, like grocery stores? What are they to do with unused food? Inquiring minds want to know... No "we should" is meaningful without a "by")

Comment

Working...
                                X