just me venting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just me venting

Wow. I have had a crazy few weeks, and I just kind of need to let off some steam, so I'm just going to spill most of the biggest things that went down, and feel free to ignore this entire post if you want to. Or comment if you want. I don't care really.

I moved to a new state!
    Yeah, this one is big. Huge. Enormous. I now live in Missouri, about two hours west of St. Louis. It's a nice town, a college town, lots of cafes and school buildings around everywhere, but I'm figuring out how to maneuver and stuff. Figuring out how the geography of this particular town works, and how to get where I need to go, where to park, etc. It's nice because there's pretty much everything I need to live here, so there's not an issue of "oh, we don't have one of those, you have to drive for several hours..." it's just an issue of "I'm sure there's one somewhere, let me ask Siri."
    But Missouri is different than Kentucky a little bit, not INCREDIBLY so, but it is. So I still have that awkward newcomer thing about me. Like figuring out what is and is not against the law here, and how the city systems work.

This, of course, means... I moved out of my mom's house.
    That's also huge for me. I was planning on doing that a year ago, then I needed her and she needed me and we sort of fell into that rhythm of no one moving anywhere. But now I don't live with her anymore. I live with two other female grad students. We split the rent and utilities evenly, and they're both really cool people and easy to live with. So it's a nice situation.
    But this means I have to figure out how to get things on my own, not depending on my mom to buy me stuff. Food is an issue. I've been trying to figure out how often to buy groceries, how to get them cheapest and still good quality, how to budget the MINISCULE amount of money I have... because of course groceries aren't the only thing I need to buy. But eating has always been a weird issue for me, so I'm just trying to get that sorted right now, but it means I look over other things sometimes.
    Ugh, adulthood. How do. I mean, I love having independence, but seriously.

oh, also, I don't have furniture yet. I have to wait a month to get actual furniture. so my closet is my suitcase, my bed is just a mattress on the floor, and my desk is a cardboard box lol.

I'm in grad school now.

Yep, you are talking to a graduate student (assuming you're talking to me.) I'm apparently that girl that keeps switching her major, because in college as an undergrad, I originally chose English, then added Psychology to that and made a double major, then regretted it, dropped Psych, wanted to add History but it was too late to, so I just majored in English alone. Then halfway through my senior year I was all of a sudden like "I SHOULD HAVE MAJORED IN POLITICAL SCIENCE!!!" Sigh.
    And that happened again in the past couple of weeks. I came to grad school assuming I was gonna be a reporter/journalist person. But then during my first journalism class, I found out that reporters are not allowed to have political affiliations, allegiance to any faction, or membership in any group that is trying to change policy. Which.... well, I live for that kind of stuff. I cannot even list how many allegiances I have. So I had a minor mental breakdown, and in the end, refused to cut ties to my social justice causes, and dropped the reporting major.
    I'm majoring in Strategic Communication now, which is like advertising and public relations. I originally didn't want to major in this, because it sounded really corporate, and ... ugh, corporations. But I've learned that you can also use these same skills to work for non-profits, social causes, activist groups, or politicians. So yeah. That's the plan.
    (of course activists need PR, why didn't I think of that??)

I still don't have a job...
    But I do have a career path, a major I feel comfortable with (FINALLY!) and I am a grad student, which is kind of like a job. And I'm going to start volunteering for my favorite US presidential candidate. So there's that.

And then there's the random things that happened this week, that I totally was not expecting at all and was not ready for. The above stuff, I was kind of expecting. Doesn't mean I was ready for it, but at least I knew a little bit. I mean, I knew I was going to grad school, I knew I was gonna move to Missouri, all that stuff is planned.
    But THE RANDOM THINGS. Oh my gods.
    This week, three of my friends got arrested for peacefully protesting, which they should not have been arrested for, because that is not illegal. It was insane. An absolute mess. And I was trying to get that issue trending on twitter, but hardly anyone seemed to care, so I ... kind of had another minor breakdown about that. And I'm not in that city anymore, so I felt absolutely useless. Which I hate.
    They've been released, there was a trial Friday morning, I don't know how it went.
    And then in addition to that, people keep coming out to me as various sexualities and gender orientations, which is great, I'm glad they feel comfortable enough around me to trust me with that information, but I also never know what exactly to say. Even though I am queer myself, and I know what it's like to come out, cause I've done that. But yeah... I'm always paranoid that I'm going to say something wrong and offend them accidentally, and lose their friendship, and ... well, that would be devastating, I really like these people.
    I think the conversation went okay this time. But I guess this is the perfectionist in me showing herself, I always want to be ABSOLUTELY SURE, and I can almost never be that sure.

And then on top of all that, someone I greatly admire (like a LOT) just died yesterday. at the age of 21. and I.... I don't usually mourn when people die actually, but this time....
    it was so shocking, and horrible, and unexpected. at 21... no one should die that young.

so yeah, that's been my life recently. and that's why I haven't been online much. *sigh*

Re: just me venting

Well, yeah, Nightingale, that is a lot going on. I'm really sorry about your friend.

I think it says a lot about you that so many people trust you with coming out, and that you put so much thought and care into it. It sounds like the moving and coming into adulthood type changes will work out. It can feel overwhelming, but it sounds like you have a handle on it. You just need a little time to settle into it.

What was the story about your friends' arrest?

Comment

thank you, prickly pear.

there are several news stories about the arrests actually, some of them are good, and some aren't. here's one I shared on facebook: http://wfpl.org/gay-rights-activists...kfast-protest/

basically the story is that they were protesting the KY Farm Bureau, they didn't break any laws, but the KFB ordered state troopers to arrest them anyway. three of them got arrested and Chris got dragged by his arms for a while in handcuffs

also this is the reason why they were protesting against KFB: http://www.fairness.org/TakeAction/2...1/Default.aspx

Comment

You bring back memory's from the 70's for me..Not that I was really socially aware...no never marched in an anti war rally in SF..or hung out in communes with radical people...no,I was never there at all....
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

here's a thing about what happened in court on Friday http://www.whas11.com/story/news/loc...fair/71312930/

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
          You bring back memory's from the 70's for me..Not that I was really socially aware...no never marched in an anti war rally in SF..or hung out in communes with radical people...no,I was never there at all....
          you and I seem like very similar people

Comment

Freaking state fair,are you not supposed to have any fun there?

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
            here's a thing about what happened in court on Friday http://www.whas11.com/story/news/loc...fair/71312930/

- - - Updated - - -

you and I seem like very similar people

I am old now,but was young back in those turbulent times..Go figure...For some reason I am still alive...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

If they had remained outside they probably would have faced nothing once they entered the structure they really didn't have to be asked to leave they were told not to enter or cause any trouble per every article I've read on it. No different than any protester that is removed from any other political speech making rally which the articles also said was ongoing during the situation. Can't say for sure but it seems they also crossed into the private property abuse and trespass which also doesn't demand they be asked to leave to be arrested.

Disruption is disruption even if it is supposedly silent protesting once you cross into the confines of the building.

Should have stayed outside and picketed it as a protest in my opinion, especially if they didn't want to get arrested.

Seen more than a few people who once supported LBGT issues that turned against them because of protesters. The fact it's listed as both a political speak opportunity and a Charity Auction only serves to remove support I think and make the protesters look to be the abusers.

- - - Updated - - -

Saw more race riots and such type protests during the 70's than I saw any other type of protests. Didn't really march but sure as hell had to fight my way out of a couple of places because of them. Heck was still in high school when one series of race riots hit and blacks surrounded whites to get us out and other days we surrounded the blacks to get them out. Personally don't have much use for protesters, more often than not i've seen them cause more problems and black lash than actually aid and help what they are protesting.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Look at how strong you are, Nightingale - you did all these things by yourself and you keep going! And you do what you feel to be right! Everything will settle, slowly. Don't give up! Your'e a strong person. And you'll do it!
                As for the job - you'll find one too eventually. Just keep looking and don't lose hope!
                Last edited by Gleb; 30 Aug 2015, 08:14.
                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

KY state fair isn't private property, it's a public place. the Fairness campaign has a booth at state fair, too, so they were supposed to be in there, they had permission. some of them have even gotten permission to return to their booth

they were told not to re-enter the structure after they got arrested, as in "don't return to the state fair" but it's not like it was someplace they weren't allowed to enter in the first place

Comment

Arrest gets published,just protesting outside gets little attention...Radical stuff 101....Not that I was ever a radical or helped plot any type of movement ever...

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

I'm sorry about your friends but the only thing you can do (from the way I see it) is to be there for them.
                      "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                        Look at how strong you are, Nightingale - you did all this things by yourself and you keep going! And you do what you feel to be right! Everything will settle, slowly. Don't give up! Your'e a strong person. And you'll do it!
                        As for the job - you'll find one too eventually. Just keep looking and don't lose hope!
                        thank you so much Gleb. yeah, as more time goes by I do feel comfortable here... I know I'm in the right place, it's just a matter of figuring out how to take care of myself

- - - Updated - - -

Arrest gets published,just protesting outside gets little attention...Radical stuff 101....Not that I was ever a radical or helped plot any type of movement ever...
                        yep, VERY similar people

Comment

Originally posted by Nightingale View Post
                          thank you so much Gleb. yeah, as more time goes by I do feel comfortable here... I know I'm in the right place, it's just a matter of figuring out how to take care of myself
                          Which reminds me... Having fun when you have time is important as well! Even if it's grabbing some cookies and a cup of tea and watch TV or some funny clips in youtube. Otherwise all of us will go mad.

Comment

Still willing to bet it had to do with the political speeches that the articles say was also occurring at the time. Though the very fact it was a charity auction doesn't aide their cause either.

- - - Updated - - -

it also turns people off from supporting look to any protest or riot right now and see which one gets more support.
                            I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              Which reminds me... Having fun when you have time is important as well! Even if it's grabbing some cookies and a cup of tea and watch TV or some funny clips in youtube. Otherwise all of us will go mad.
                              oh yeah, fun things. those exist.

I watch Parks and Rec on Netflix. and I took myself out for ice cream once this week.

Comment

Working...
                              X