No announcement yet.

Woman with 15 kids says system is failing to provide for her and her children

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Woman with 15 kids says system is failing to provide for her and her children

There are a number of problems with that article. They are as follows:

• She is right in that those who reproduced with her should aid her. Two people are used to make children, not one. She should not bear the burden alone and it was her husbands'/lovers' fault that they did not use protection as much as hers.
    • She is probably of the lower class and was probably pushed into such acts by circumstances. Poverty tends to turn people to baser instincts, one of them being reproduction. Often this is also coupled with a lack of birth control methods and even basic knowledge.
    • The children are not at fault for their parents' actions. Even if we assume that both her and her male partners are complete idiots, their children have no fault for being their children. They should not suffer due to the actions of their parents. Males of the lower classes are also often quick to engange in reproduction then leave their offspring to their fate because they are unable to cope with their position as parents.
    • Tax money does not finance government spending, so that argument is moot (Note that this is a whole topic unto itself, so if you want to challenge my position please make a new thread and inform me about it).

So, while it may be true that fifteen children is an exaggeration it is not just the woman that it is at fault here and her children should not have to live in poverty because of bad parental decisions. Further, leaving those children to their fate would likely result in more impoverished families in the future making it a vicious cycle.

Comment

Re: Woman with 15 kids says system is failing to provide for her and her children

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
      This is the problem with "keep your legs shut": it criminalizes the mother. The father might end up having to pay child support, but he can just leave. He's not the one who will be left holding the kid until they're an adult. Maybe instead of saying people need to keep their legs shut, everyone involved needs to be more conscious of birth control methods. Accidents happen, but they don't happen fifteen times.
      This.

People say that all the time, but aside from a religious minority, very few men nowadays would date a woman for any length of time who won't sleep with him. It's like the thing about not allowing people to treat you badly - you have to be prepared to be alone if you stick to certain principles.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Working...
      X