THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

FB private messages sending when I press 'return'. Why do I keep forgetting it does this? It shouldn't take 6 messages to organise a simple get-together and yet...
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
      FB private messages sending when I press 'return'. Why do I keep forgetting it does this? It shouldn't take 6 messages to organise a simple get-together and yet...
      In the message box, at the bottom, is a check box for sending by hitting return. Uncheck that, and now to send your message you have to click the blue "Reply" box.
      sigpic
      Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
        In the message box, at the bottom, is a check box for sending by hitting return. Uncheck that, and now to send your message you have to click the blue "Reply" box.
        Cool. Will this also stop my messages form popping up as an IM? I am always offline because I don't like the IM on FB, but Miyo says that she gets my messages via her IM and so replies, expecting me to be online, but it goes to my messages and I don't see it for hours or even days..
        夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Cool. Will this also stop my messages form popping up as an IM? I am always offline because I don't like the IM on FB, but Miyo says that she gets my messages via her IM and so replies, expecting me to be online, but it goes to my messages and I don't see it for hours or even days..
          I have no idea on that part! Sorry.
          sigpic
          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

You have to set your fb chat to offline. Then your messages will show up in your inbox and not in a chat box.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
              You have to set your fb chat to offline. Then your messages will show up in your inbox and not in a chat box.
              It wouldn't let me stay offline. For ages it kept signing me back in so I ended up having to block my entire contact list. Now I always have 'offline' in the little IM box and message sent to me do come to my private messages, but my private messages show up as instant messages if my friends are online. Maybe that's just what facebook does, but it gets confusing for my friends.

Comment

It wouldn't let me stay offline. For ages it kept signing me back in so I ended up having to block my entire contact list. Now I always have 'offline' in the little IM box and message sent to me do come to my private messages, but my private messages show up as instant messages if my friends are online. Maybe that's just what facebook does, but it gets confusing for my friends.
                Yeah... Facebook is increasingly annoying with it's settings. They keep changing things, so old setting that work no longer work with the new update, then you have to figure it all out again how to stay private. I have my chat off, because I hate the IM feature and I didn't like strangers I've added for app games IMing me to ask for more items in games and such, while on my way to do that anyways. And, I'm anti-social. ;^_^
                But I've noticed with their last update, now PMs and IMs are synonymous. When you send a huge message, it's delivered to both a person's inbox and shows up on their IM Screen. And when people IM me, it shows up in my inbox. I'm not sure how to fix it or IF it can be fixed. It seems like the norm for Facebook now. ;u_u
                My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                  Yeah... Facebook is increasingly annoying with it's settings. They keep changing things, so old setting that work no longer work with the new update, then you have to figure it all out again how to stay private. I have my chat off, because I hate the IM feature and I didn't like strangers I've added for app games IMing me to ask for more items in games and such, while on my way to do that anyways. And, I'm anti-social. ;^_^
                  But I've noticed with their last update, now PMs and IMs are synonymous. When you send a huge message, it's delivered to both a person's inbox and shows up on their IM Screen. And when people IM me, it shows up in my inbox. I'm not sure how to fix it or IF it can be fixed. It seems like the norm for Facebook now. ;u_u
                  Yes, this sounds like exactly what's happening to us! So annoying. I wish FB would listen to their users more. I don't know how many times I've seen unpopular updates that everyone hated, yet the creators seemed to feel had to be compulsary. Isn't that a dictatorship. I guess the argument is if you don't like it, leave.. but I need it to keep up with people. Especially for messaging friends in Japanese. My phone can't do it, so we can only phone text in romaji. If I want to practice kanji, it has to be PM (and two of my Japanese friends live in Japan so I can't afford to text anyway)... Hate it though!

Comment

Yes, this sounds like exactly what's happening to us! So annoying. I wish FB would listen to their users more. I don't know how many times I've seen unpopular updates that everyone hated, yet the creators seemed to feel had to be compulsary. Isn't that a dictatorship. I guess the argument is if you don't like it, leave.. but I need it to keep up with people. Especially for messaging friends in Japanese. My phone can't do it, so we can only phone text in romaji. If I want to practice kanji, it has to be PM (and two of my Japanese friends live in Japan so I can't afford to text anyway)... Hate it though!
                    Yep! Facebook sucks much and no they don't ever listen to the users. I guess their idea is that it's free, so everyone should shut up and sit down. Or leave. It's is very unfair. u_u
                    Facebook use to give people a choice for the different updates a person can refuse or accept, but it seems that more and more they are skipping over that right. For example, when they came out with the "Timeline" layout for the site, people had a choice in if they wanted to switch or not. I choose to switch, because it looked cool, but many of my friends did not. Well, just this month all of my friends were forced to switch, without permission. Timeline is no longer a choice, it's mandatory. >_<
                    And Timeline has a flaw too, that everyone complains about, that it often misses the posts of friends in the newsfeed. A lot of times I don't see a new status from my family or friends, so I figured they weren't online that day... but really they did post but it didn't show up. Instead, more advertisements for things I didn't sign up for or want shows up in it's place. @_@
                    Facebook is a real trip... XD

- - - Updated - - -

OH, I forgot to mention that if you want your status to be seen more often with the Timeline, Facebook has a charging plan where you can "announce" your status for a fee. It stinks and I refuse to pay money so that my friends and family will not miss out on my statues. >_<
                    So, I just causally ask them in PM or over the phone, did they see when I wrote about some event or shared some funny youtube clip on there. 5 times out of 10, they have not and have to go scrambling to find what I've posted directly on my wall. ;^_^
                    My pal in New Jersey was completely in the dark about when I was working on my book... he missed all of those status updates and felt left out, when he finally saw one of the book actually being published. LOL.
                    My everyday wacky blog

Comment

I leave for a day and there are a whole pile of new arguments I don't wanna play in! does anyone wanna talk about dorky nerdy stuff?
                      http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                      ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                        I leave for a day and there are a whole pile of new arguments I don't wanna play in! does anyone wanna talk about dorky nerdy stuff?
                        Waldo was a time lord. Is that nerdy enough?
                        my etsy store
                        My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                        surrounded by plush, downy things,
                        ill prepared, but willing,
                        to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                          Waldo was a time lord. Is that nerdy enough?
                          Well I thought we all knew that...

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
                          ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                            Well I thought we all knew that...
                            True, but it's amazing how I've stupefied a few folks with it.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                              True, but it's amazing how I've stupefied a few folks with it.
                              Is stupefied... I didn't know that! @_@
                              My everyday wacky blog

Comment

Originally posted by RiverSong View Post
                                Is stupefied... I didn't know that! @_@
                                He is everywhere all the time always, just in glimpses... clearly a time lord

~Jim Butcher

Comment

Working...
                                X