Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Minion View Post
    For some reason everyone around here thinks there are only like 3 religions. You're either Christian, an atheist, or a devil worshipper. It's like, "Oh you're Wiccan? You worship Satan then....But of course you wouldn't know it. The Devil's much too tricky for that."
    It can get like that in more liberal places though as well. It's like, you're either "rational" and an atheist, or you're religious and that must mean you believe in creationism *facepalm*. There are a lot of people who are cool and just understand that people believe different things, but some people are closed-minded, no matter where they are on the religion spectrum.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      It can get like that in more liberal places though as well. It's like, you're either "rational" and an atheist, or you're religious and that must mean you believe in creationism *facepalm*. There are a lot of people who are cool and just understand that people believe different things, but some people are closed-minded, no matter where they are on the religion spectrum.
      Yeah, things get messy when people of any walk of life start seeing with tunnel vision. People are complex: they believe what they believe, some of it makes sense, some of it doesn't, some of them have good reasons for their ideas, some do not, and the lines between one side and the other can be quite blurred. The world is not black and white.

Comment

Originally posted by iflewoverthecuckoosnest View Post
        Yeah, things get messy when people of any walk of life start seeing with tunnel vision. People are complex: they believe what they believe, some of it makes sense, some of it doesn't, some of them have good reasons for their ideas, some do not, and the lines between one side and the other can be quite blurred. The world is not black and white.
        I think it just comes down to perception. We don't always perceive the world in the same way for various reason (culture, upbringing, education, etc). Otherwise we'd all have the same opinions, vote for the same political parties, have the same interests, etc. What a boring world that would be!

Comment

I have a new nose piercing, and I forgot about it, and I scratched my nose this morning, and then I screamed.

Mostly art.

Comment

There are some very unpleasant people which I work with. They apparently understand absolutely no part of my job. Part of it is, in fact, to monitor your bloody safety. That includes not allowing you onto my non-functioning elevator. No I do not have an elevator key to shut it down properly, yes I do have to stand here holding the door open. You are correct, that means for about 120 seconds you will be unable to obtain an elevator from my floor. No I do not care that you are late, if you are so very worried, I have stairs, and you work on the next floor up. Another part of my job is now to file all sorts of happy fun paperwork regarding all of the fun words you have called me for "making you late." Late plus attitude re-counseling? Wonder if you're going to have a job tomorrow, cause your supervisor bloody loves me!

Don't mess with the sweet little girl who works at the desk, she is in fact a closet bitch :finger:
            http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
            ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Maria, that reminds me... "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

If waiting for an elevator is all it takes to make someone 'late', I feel it behooves me to interfere with their forward progress.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                Maria, that reminds me... "Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

If waiting for an elevator is all it takes to make someone 'late', I feel it behooves me to interfere with their forward progress.
                I once had a guy yell at me - And I am not exaggerating, he YELLED at me and threatened my job - because we were testing the elevator recall function (at 5am, mind you... long before the general public comes in to use elevators) and he was going to be 1 minute late.
                �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                Sneak Attack
                Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

The police during the time of Morsi are now far better than during Mubarak's time. This is how they treat protestors. Drag them naked across the street and beat the crap out of them.

[4:82]

Comment

I saw that when you posted it to FB, D. Holy cow.

Got on a heathanism subreddit that looked promising.

Everything that went up after I joined for three days was about how awesome and well-researched heathens are compared to other groups...especially wiccans.

No longer a member of said subreddit.
                    Great Grandmother's Kitchen

Comment

A lot of Heathens are decent researchers. All? Errr, I won't speak ill of the perma-banned. At least, not till after I finish my pizza.
                      life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

As someone that's spent a great deal of time studying *many* different world views, I have to say that, by observation alone, the frequency of know-it-all's, that in fact know very little, isn't limited by their allegiance to what ever philosophy, religion, or [spiritual] path.

In fact, my rant, today, isn't all that far removed from that very frustrating bit of human nature. I'm a liar and a fraud, apparently, because I cite different information than mislabeled citings of mistaken identity, and contradict some graph-of-statistics (created by someone with an agenda) with a summary of real results from real health officials that have NO agenda, other than to record and document.

Wait. What? Liar?? Me!?! Wow. Certainly have me confused with someone else, there. Go back to your studies, your reading comprehension skills have failed!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

RM, DM, and VP visits within the week. I really couldn't care less about your problems with the deals you made with other associates regarding non-work related affairs, nor do I care about your diet change issues, your unwillingness to see a doctor to treat your reoccurring migraines, or your wishing you could move up in the company because you simply want the hours and status but can't be asked to do your own job on your own level without complaining about it. Spare me. We fail this inspection, you'll have to find a new job. As will I, as will my colleagues. Maybe you don't care, because it's just retail, but maybe the rest of us do. Maybe to us, its our livelihood. Maybe we put in 45 hour weeks doing the worst jobs in the store because you can't be asked and you come with us with attitudes that may well cost you your hours in the following weeks. Because frankly, if you can't come in to work doing the easiest job imaginable without complaining, without giving either your supervisors or the customers or your coworkers attitude, and without being supremely lazy about it... why would we give you the time of day when another associate is more than willing to pick up your hours and do the job well?

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                            As someone that's spent a great deal of time studying *many* different world views, I have to say that, by observation alone, the frequency of know-it-all's, that in fact know very little, isn't limited by their allegiance to what ever philosophy, religion, or [spiritual] path.

In fact, my rant, today, isn't all that far removed from that very frustrating bit of human nature. I'm a liar and a fraud, apparently, because I cite different information than mislabeled citings of mistaken identity, and contradict some graph-of-statistics (created by someone with an agenda) with a summary of real results from real health officials that have NO agenda, other than to record and document.

Wait. What? Liar?? Me!?! Wow. Certainly have me confused with someone else, there. Go back to your studies, your reading comprehension skills have failed!
                            Its funny, the other two people in that convo are both reasonably well indoctrinated by their particular choice of media sources. They have moments of brightness, they have moments where you can explain to them the full extent of what your position means, they have moments that make you wanna cheer for the human race!

But never both at the same time. And those moments are still pretty rare. I almost wanna see those two go at each other like this: http://xkcd.com/1166/ because... well because. I don't know why, and I don't think its healthy, but I'd rather get it out over facebook than have it affect anything else in my life. And I didn't even meant to start it, I swear!
                            "A true initiation never ends"-Robert Anton Wilson
                            http://www.hermetic.com/crowley
                            "Reality has become a commodity"-Stephen Colbert 1/29/07
                            http://www.chaosmatrix.org/
                            "Sometimes, when you can't breathe, there are people there to breathe for you" - Aesop Rock
                            http://upholdingmaat.wordpress.com

Comment

It just pisses me off that so many people, single-mindedly, rely on statistics to back up whatever claim they want to make. When, at the same time, they'll go and disregard any and all statistics that contradict them, usually with cries of fraudulent stats, cherry-picking details, and/or coming from a suspect source.

In the case of gun violence, one cannot use data defined as "murder". Nor can they use gang violence, violent crime, or crime-related-death statistics. The only statistic that is usable? The number of recorded deaths by firearm. Preferably, not including accidental deaths and suicides. But no. "Death rates", per 100,000 (usually) are the go-to statistics, to try and make the claim that the US has dwarfed every other country's homicide rates, with firearms.

Um. There is no such animal. You can't look at the number of recorded deaths in Uganda, in 2006, and know just how many people will die, there, in 2014, from firearms. Rates are not predictions, they are histories. Extrapolating whatever you can from that history STILL is just the tip of the iceberg. There are far too many unknowns in those equations. And a whole hell of a lot more that is just plain misleading.

Excuses, excuses. Blame and belligerent adherence to averages as fact.

Want averages? You are roughly 3 times more likely to end your own life than to be killed by someone else, using a firearm. And 25 times more likely to die from heart disease, than suicide.

Odds are... when the human race is finally coming to a screeching halt, SOMEBODY will be claiming an exception and using graphs and statistics to prove that they won't die, too.

F***ing idiots and their supposed facts, sources and proofs! STFU already!
                              Last edited by ChainLightning; 02 Feb 2013, 20:40.

Comment

Dammit, I've got a paper that's due on Tuesday and I cannot think of what to write about. Once I come up with a topic I can write a good paper, but I can't for the life of me think of a topic. I would like to write a persuasive argument essay because that's what pretty much the entire class has been about so far, but it's not required. I'm best at extended definition essays, but I still can't come up with anything that wouldn't feel...er...pointless, forced...whatever. It feels like depression rather than writer's block...it's like I don't give a damn enough about anything to think and write about it.
                                Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
                                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Working...
                                X