• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

The EA SPORTS server is down for so long! arrrrgh
    [4:82]

Comment

Well, this is embarrassing. For those who don't know, people who receive food stamps from the government are required every few months to fill out a form and have a phone interview to confirm that you are still eligible. My latest form just came in the mail, and it looks like I'm going to lose my benefits. Those who receive Financial Aid for school are required to either take care of young children or work at least 20 hours a week, and I do neither. Common sense says "Get a job," and I would love to, but it's complicated. Being able to get to a job is very difficult for me because I don't drive. The reason I don't drive is because I'm very nervous in a car, even as a passenger, and I truly believe that I would be a danger to myself and others if I drove. So, I have to rely on others for transportation. Philip works all day, so I can't get to a job then. I could take a work study job at school, but I take night classes so there's nothing available during the right time.

So, basically, we're gonna have to eat cat food. *sigh*
      Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
      -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
        Well, this is embarrassing. For those who don't know, people who receive food stamps from the government are required every few months to fill out a form and have a phone interview to confirm that you are still eligible. My latest form just came in the mail, and it looks like I'm going to lose my benefits. Those who receive Financial Aid for school are required to either take care of young children or work at least 20 hours a week, and I do neither. Common sense says "Get a job," and I would love to, but it's complicated. Being able to get to a job is very difficult for me because I don't drive. The reason I don't drive is because I'm very nervous in a car, even as a passenger, and I truly believe that I would be a danger to myself and others if I drove. So, I have to rely on others for transportation. Philip works all day, so I can't get to a job then. I could take a work study job at school, but I take night classes so there's nothing available during the right time.

So, basically, we're gonna have to eat cat food. *sigh*

Couldn't you do a work-study job at school during the afternoons, then study in the meantime before classes?

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
          Couldn't you do a work-study job at school during the afternoons, then study in the meantime before classes?
          I could if there was a way to get there in the afternoons. Philip works then so there's nobody to take me. I would try if it were possible, although I've looked at everything they've posted are office jobs and they want people with "excellent computer skills," which I don't have.
          Children love and want to be loved and they very much prefer the joy of accomplishment to the triumph of hateful failure. Do not mistake a child for his symptom.
          -Erik Erikson

Comment

Originally posted by Clive View Post
            I could if there was a way to get there in the afternoons. Philip works then so there's nobody to take me. I would try if it were possible, although I've looked at everything they've posted are office jobs and they want people with "excellent computer skills," which I don't have.
            Excellent computer skills just means "Can you type, can you use microsoft word?"

Dude, all your posts are grammatically correct, so clearly you can type, punctuate, and spell correctly. I think you'd be fine.

Mostly art.

Comment

Pretty much in agreement with V. They might want knowledge of specific software but unless the software is listed or certain tasks using it are listed, excellent can be relative. Excellent as far as a receptionist is concerned is quite different from IT excellent. Specialized software, they'll teach you. One potential headache is if they expect you to be good with spreadsheets then they'll want Excel training. They won't be likely to expect a lot of Access skill unless you're expecting to build a database for these people and if they want that then you may not need financial aid when you're done. Word, you should know, Excel and possibly Powerpoint might be relevant but they may just expect you to be able to use word, email and learn the software they want to teach you.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Fair point. I know basic English and was taught basic keyboarding in 7th grade. However, the listings I saw did specify Excel and some other things. Word I can use to write papers for school, but all the buttons and doodads confuse me. Excel I've looked at before and nearly fainted. I'm not tech savvy at all.

In any case, even if I could learn that stuff, time is the main problem. These office jobs were specified as 8-4 and other such normal business hours. Philip leaves for work at like 5 am and gets home about 12 hours later. I'm trapped at home that whole time and I live out in the country where the buses don't run. Whenever I ask anybody for a ride somewhere they're always "too busy" with something.
                -Erik Erikson

Comment

Ahh, ouch. Timing sucks and yeah, if they specify Excel then knowing it is a good thing.
                  life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Ugh. Last week was a complete cluster f**k of a week but at the same time I had a couple of awesome days.

I went for a job interview at 9am on monday, only to be told at 9:10am that the interviews had all been done last week, and at 9:20am someone from the recruitment dept rang to apologise, and due to system error or whatever bull they said, I just didnt get contacted to say the interviewer cancelled.

Tuesday, wednesday, I worked.

Thursday I went for a walk in the peaks, had an awesome day Walking round in country with two of my best friends having a laugh and a giggle.

Friday I went for coffee had an awesome time

Saturday. Now, This was a mixed bag of emotions. Woken up after about 4hrs sleep by 2 magpies playing in the gutter outside my window, had to drive 50+ miles to York, which should have taken about an hour, it took 2 and a half. I was sat in stop start traffic for a fricking hour... in full viking kit. It was horrendous. Then the emissions warning light came on my dash board. I only had this fixed in August. 6 months. It's lasted 6 f**king months. Spend a long cold day stood and wandering around in Vike kit.. then went to watch rugby, then went to a gig, then went to a pub, then I had to drive home, at about 1am, which granted only took 45mins but it was dark and I was SO SO SO SO SO very tired. I'm still tired now from saturday.

So now I have to figure out how to get my car to the garage, get home, get to work the next morning, get to my other job, get to the garage to pick my car up all before wednesday.

And considering last week was supposed to be my week off.... I can have another week off to recover yes? please?... no?

Comment

Ah the customers that threaten violence because you recognize them as being banned from the store previously for shoplifting, and then get oh-so-upset when you call security. I love my job I love my job I love my job.... maybe.

Comment

If you've dealt with them, you'll understand.. if you haven't, well, then, I guess you won't...

[RANT]The Army Corps of Engineers![/RANT] May extremely vile things happen to their most sensitive of private places.
                        "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

My house is worth $30,000 less than when I bought it almost 20 years ago.

I can't even sell it and get out of debt...

...and asking about refinancing just makes the bank laugh.
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

*hugs*

/10char

Mostly art.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

If this bill is a mortgage loan then Michigan law seems to require that the lenders put effort into helping avoid foreclosure.

seems to have relevant phone numbers for better information. Outside of that, law isn't my strong suit and loans are deeply not my strong suit.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                                If this bill is a mortgage loan then Michigan law seems to require that the lenders put effort into helping avoid foreclosure.

seems to have relevant phone numbers for better information. Outside of that, law isn't my strong suit and loans are deeply not my strong suit.
                                Yeah... looking into options... life sucks...
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X