THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

The world hates America. The world likes Canada, or Britain does at least. I've heard of Americans doing that before. I can understand why they do it, though nobody would be openly rude to them here regardless of where they're from. Still, they should probably try having more of a backbone, rather than sneaking about in the guise of someone they're not.
    Yikes, all that cultural appropriation that used to be here tho

Comment

Originally posted by Doc_Holliday View Post
      When Americans identify as Canadian and wear Canadian patriotic clothing while travelling abroad.

A friend came back from Britain recently. This was his experience.

Meet a tourist in Britain, see large Canadian flag. Get happy because it is another Canadian, try and break the ice. Ask the tourist, "What kind of pop are you drinking, I've been looking for something to drink." Tourist looks puzzled, looks at their hands and says "Oh you mean this soda?" in a long island accent. After a few questions my friend found out this tourist was in fact from long island and was just posing as a Canadian to get "Better service."

I'm not sure if there is a good reason for people to do it, but it still bothers me. I'm proud to be Canadian, so it kind of bothers me when people act like they are Canadian when they Aren't.
      That American clearly says the wrong name for Pop anyways. Pop is the correct term where I live :P. Also, how were they incapable of recognizing the term pop o_O? Its not like its an exotic term, being used by a large number of people in the USA....

That is.... Super weird that they lied about their nationality? I take it Canadians have a better international rep then Americans? I mean, sure it would be nice if America had a lot of the things Canada does, like effing affordable health care (at least from what I've been told about your health care), but that doesn't mean I'm going to cosplay as one.

Anyways, sorry that American was an idiot. I apologize on behalf of my nation.
      hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
        That American clearly says the wrong name for Pop anyways. Pop is the correct term where I live :P. Also, how were they incapable of recognizing the term pop o_O? Its not like its an exotic term, being used by a large number of people in the USA....
        I don't know what the bugger you are talking about, some people call all soda a coke, but I don't know so much about Pop, that must be a NOT north east thing... But if the guy was from long Island he said it correctly, People up in this corner of the US call it soda, or coke...
        http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
        ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
          I don't know what the bugger you are talking about, some people call all soda a coke, but I don't know so much about Pop, that must be a NOT north east thing... But if the guy was from long Island he said it correctly, People up in this corner of the US call it soda, or coke...
          I live in the midwest, Indiana specifically, and its pop here, pretty exclusively. If you go far enough south you'll start getting soda, farther south and its coke. I haven't been to the North East.

FIZZY BEVERAGE NAME WARS! (Pop)

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, here you go, a map of what people call Pop across the USA.

http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/308-the-pop-vs-soda-map

Comment

I had a teacher who told us a story about when she was in college. She had a guy staying with her that was a transfer from New York. She went and offered him a pop-and he got seriously offended and made a comment along the lines of "Excuse me?? I barely even know you". Seriously confused my teacher. "A pop-like coke, pepsi, sprite?" "Oh! You mean a sode-sorry, in new york a pop is a quick screw from a prostitute" ....the entire class looked at her like O_O

As for my current rant-I'll sum it up in two works cause its not quite safe for right here.

Fort. Hood. -______-
            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
            sigpic

Comment

Alaska looks like a soda-name mess

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
              ~Jim Butcher

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
                Alaska looks like a soda-name mess
                With how hard to travel between a lot of the cities and towns in Alaska are, I'm not surprised. They must confuse each other all the time when they meet up!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                  With how hard to travel between a lot of the cities and towns in Alaska are, I'm not surprised. They must confuse each other all the time when they meet up!
                  They all go into a resturant and order soda by different names and the lady there looks at all of 'em like they're nuts, cause she calls it something else!

~Jim Butcher

Comment

One should remember that the term "Ugly American" was used more than a few years back. A lot of the world thought we were all trailer trash I guess.

Quote:
                    "Ugly American (pejorative), a term used to refer to perceptions of arrogant behavior by Americans abroad

MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                    NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                    don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                    http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                      One should remember that the term "Ugly American" was used more than a few years back. A lot of the world thought we were all trailer trash I guess.

Quote:
                      "Ugly American (pejorative), a term used to refer to perceptions of arrogant behavior by Americans abroad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ugly_American
                      The world still thinks we're trailer trash. Only now we're 'Fat Americans'. And I don't have to go anywhere to be insulted for being American - all I have to do to get the ol' international service is go to work every night.

Jokes on you, rest of the world - the #1 fattest country is now Mexico.
                      The forum member formerly known as perzephone. Or Perze. I've shed a skin.

Comment

Originally posted by perzephone View Post
                        The world still thinks we're trailer trash. Only now we're 'Fat Americans'. And I don't have to go anywhere to be insulted for being American - all I have to do to get the ol' international service is go to work every night.

Jokes on you, rest of the world - the #1 fattest country is now Mexico.
                        As an international traveler who isn't American but gets mistaken for one by people abroad, I can't believe the bad rap you guys get worldwide.

I mean, yeah - I've met some pretty shitty Americans traveling. And I'll admit - when I see a group of slightly overweight, middleaged white people looking at maps, I'm like "Oh god, the American tourists are here" and I usually try to leave, but it's groups like that (and businessmen assholes) that gave you the bad rap traveling.

Most people when they find out I'm Canadian, try to buy me a beer and tell me how polite Canadians are. It's just crazy.

Mostly art.

Comment

Americans mostly hate each other, too! Country people/city people, rich/poor, racial divides, ethnic divides, "my state's better than yours", etc., etc.
                          sigpic
                          Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

heh, I just tend to hate everyone equally at a base level. I think the best way I managed to put it was on one of my pics on dA.

"In my experience-I have come to learn one simple truth. People suck. No matter what, in some way, at some point in time, they are all going to let you down. It could be something small, or it could be something that changes you forever.

This is why I generally give a blanket hatred of the whole human race. Now, some people might hold out hope for the people around them. Me? I gave up on that a long time ago. It doesn't matter age, race, or gender. I hate everyone equally and assume they all suck, that way I can be pleasantly surprised when I'm proven wrong and each individual manages to stand out"
                            Always taking art commissions, especially for fantasy and pagan related artwork
                            Featured on Deviantart, Storenvy, Facebook, and Cafepress
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post
                              heh, I just tend to hate everyone equally at a base level. I think the best way I managed to put it was on one of my pics on dA.

"In my experience-I have come to learn one simple truth. People suck. No matter what, in some way, at some point in time, they are all going to let you down. It could be something small, or it could be something that changes you forever.

This is why I generally give a blanket hatred of the whole human race. Now, some people might hold out hope for the people around them. Me? I gave up on that a long time ago. It doesn't matter age, race, or gender. I hate everyone equally and assume they all suck, that way I can be pleasantly surprised when I'm proven wrong and each individual manages to stand out"
                              I still give everyone plenty of rope; they either hang themselves or not. Despite plenty of experience which should logically lead me to the contrary, I focus on the positive first. I never, and I mean NEVER forget when someone's done me wrong. Or when someone's done right, either.

New rant for the day....OK you feral cat with no brain who stalks my bird feeder, let's see how you like my new water gun. BWAHAHAHAHA
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorin View Post

I prefer to think of it as we are ALL perfect--perfectly flawed, and I am no better than anyone else. Because we are all perfectly flawed, I fail others, in their perception, just as often as they fail me in mine. If I hate everyone for being human, then I hate myself. And, I happen to think that I'm pretty awesome...so, instead, I try to expect excellence of others, and I'm usually rewarded, because I go looking for it. Sometimes, sure, I don't get it...but if I let it get to me, that is my failing, not theirs. Because we are all beautifully, wonderfully, perfectly flawed. If we weren't, life would be meaningless--there would be no struggle, and with no struggle...there would be no triumph.

Oh, crud...I just realized this was the rant thread!

Ummmm. Guess I gave ya'll something to rant about!! (Effing happy people in the rant thread! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!)
                                Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X