Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post
    I wish I could pull threads off of the "what's new" list.... Then I wouldn't have to go through some of them...
    I second this! A "stop following" button or something.
    We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
    It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
    Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
    -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
      I second this! A "stop following" button or something.
      There is the unsubscribe button, but it only works on threads you've posted in. (And if your settings are on auto subscribe on reply.)
      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
      Sneak Attack
      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Yesterday someone almost hit me with their car when I was on my bike. I know it happened a day ago, but I'm still peeved about it. It was just so willfully ignorant. I was going straight down the road in broad daylight. I had a green light (we have lights in most bike lanes). The pedestrians in the crosswalk beside me had a green light. I was in the bike lane. I had been waiting at a red light with a lot of other cyclists and there was a line of traffic beside us. I was in the freaking middle of the group and the car that almost hit me was second or third in line. There is just NO WAY they didn't see me. A lot of cars slowly creep forward when they want to turn (which bothers me in its own right), but they won't usually hit you. They usually stop. This one didn't stop until they had almost hit me. The car was moving slowly, but you can still injure a cyclist doing something like that.

It just really grates on my nerves. Most drivers here are good at sharing the road, but there's a sizeable minority that just can't exercise any patience. They keep going, even though we have the right of way. The turn signal for right turns is usually green when our lights are green, but we have the right of way at a green light. They have to wait. Yet, some just will not. They'll cut you off, run you down, or honk their horns impatiently at you. I think behaviour like that should warrant a ticket, but our traffic cops never issue tickets anyway, so it would be useless.

The worst part is, on my way back, I saw a driver cut off a cyclist at a green light in the exact same place. Just kept going, oblivious to the fact that cyclists (plural) were heading into the intersection.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
          Yesterday someone almost hit me with their car when I was on my bike. I know it happened a day ago, but I'm still peeved about it. It was just so willfully ignorant. I was going straight down the road in broad daylight. I had a green light (we have lights in most bike lanes). The pedestrians in the crosswalk beside me had a green light. I was in the bike lane. I had been waiting at a red light with a lot of other cyclists and there was a line of traffic beside us. I was in the freaking middle of the group and the car that almost hit me was second or third in line. There is just NO WAY they didn't see me. A lot of cars slowly creep forward when they want to turn (which bothers me in its own right), but they won't usually hit you. They usually stop. This one didn't stop until they had almost hit me. The car was moving slowly, but you can still injure a cyclist doing something like that.

It just really grates on my nerves. Most drivers here are good at sharing the road, but there's a sizeable minority that just can't exercise any patience. They keep going, even though we have the right of way. The turn signal for right turns is usually green when our lights are green, but we have the right of way at a green light. They have to wait. Yet, some just will not. They'll cut you off, run you down, or honk their horns impatiently at you. I think behaviour like that should warrant a ticket, but our traffic cops never issue tickets anyway, so it would be useless.

The worst part is, on my way back, I saw a driver cut off a cyclist at a green light in the exact same place. Just kept going, oblivious to the fact that cyclists (plural) were heading into the intersection.
          I know what you mean, people can be really ignorant... Some months ago I was almost hit by a bike. I was near a bus station doing writing a text message on my phone. Luckily I heard the bike getting closer so I jumped back on the last second. The bastard could really warn me about it.... -_-
          "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
            I know what you mean, people can be really ignorant... Some months ago I was almost hit by a bike. I was near a bus station doing writing a text message on my phone. Luckily I heard the bike getting closer so I jumped back on the last second. The bastard could really warn me about it.... -_-
            I see so many people who just cannot wait or do not look where they are going. This goes for drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. The drivers piss me off the most though, because they're more likely to kill me. It irks me when another cyclist cuts me off or a pedestrian jay-walks right in front of my bike (I'm a vehicle too!), but not as much as when a driver almost hits me with their heavy, powerful car.

Still, everyone should exercise some patience and watch where they are going. If everyone did that (no matter how they get around), we could cut down accidents and road-related deaths significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
              There is the unsubscribe button, but it only works on threads you've posted in. (And if your settings are on auto subscribe on reply.)
              On the old forum, there used to be a way to mark individual threads as "read" so if you knew what they are (or you wanted to avoid a particular section), you could...
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                On the old forum, there used to be a way to mark individual threads as "read" so if you knew what they are (or you wanted to avoid a particular section), you could...
                The option exists here too. I've used it various times instead of reading 8 intro threads.
                Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                  The option exists here too. I've used it various times instead of reading 8 intro threads.
                  Goes to show how much I've played around, lol!
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Goes to show how much I've played around, lol!
                    The option to mark a forum as read is in forum tools. I need some unreads to pop up so I can find the other.
                    Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

The easiest way I can think of (though it doesn't work on tablets, phones or forum runner) is to double click the icon to the left of the section when you're viewing the board from the forum overview page. You know how the icons are a different color or are lit up (depending on the theme) when there are unread threads in that section? Works like a charm.
                      �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
                      ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
                      Sneak Attack
                      Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

My dysfunctional "family," and how I'm still surprised on occasion at how far they will go to hurt me. Even my sister.

Honestly, this rant would do better in a blog article rather than on a forum thread so I'm just going to leave it there and write the actual blog on my anon wordpress.

Just... I need chocolate. I'd say hugs, but I've known very few people in my life who didn't give a little just to get 10-fold from me.

Comment

I'm really tired of talking about ridiculous conspiracy theories that can be disproved with basic reasoning, or a single Google search. I have looked at the numerous threads and wanted to type something... But I'm just tired of it. Its always the same old thing.
                          hey look, I have a book! And look I have a second one too!

Comment

Originally posted by Malflick View Post
                            I'm really tired of talking about ridiculous conspiracy theories that can be disproved with basic reasoning, or a single Google search. I have looked at the numerous threads and wanted to type something... But I'm just tired of it. Its always the same old thing.
                            I'm beginning to think there should be a cap per year on certain topics. Once the cap has been reached for the year, staff kill the subject on sight.

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                              I'm beginning to think there should be a cap per year on certain topics. Once the cap has been reached for the year, staff kill the subject on sight.
                              subject, as in topic (ie thread), or subject as in vassal (ie poster)?

either way, I support this opinion.
                              "Don't ever miss a good opportunity to shut up." - Harvey Davis "Gramps"

Comment

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                                subject, as in topic (ie thread), or subject as in vassal (ie poster)?

either way, I support this opinion.
                                The benign and generally more useful answer is just the topic. Given my mood this week, I could support both.

Comment

Working...
                                X