Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    I bet you still get your fair share of idiots on your bike though...I swear, some people just can't think of the consequences of hitting someone with their large, enclosed vehicle.
    It's funny...do you know why assholes with gun racks and giant trucks unaccountably get fewer pissed off honks and rude gestures?

For the same reason people give me space I've had a couple over the years, but figure I've been riding on public roads for about 10 years, the first five of which my bike was my daily driver and weekend bike. I have had 2 really close calls, maybe 3 or 4 other kinda but not really close calls, and I've dropped/wrecked my bike more than all of those combined.

But, I also go out of my way to do my part. See, when I had learned to drive a car one of the things that they pushed a lot was knowing what was going on around you. My old man was pretty unforgiving on that as well, so I learned how to drive not only knowing what was in front of and behind me, but generally several cars back and up to 3 or 4 lanes of traffic. This is the norm for me - but most automobile drivers don't need to worry about that as much...cars are big, they have big lights and bigger...erm...size. Drivers can get sloppy and nobody notices (and I suspect that they do considering the number of laws there are prohibiting distracted driving). So on the bike, I always have an "out"...I always have a buffer. I'm always expecting the closest 10 cars to do the most retarded thing to me that they can - so even if they *think* about it, I can react.

So fewer than you would think But it does occasionally happen. Generally speaking though, I'm my own worst enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
      OMG do not even get me started on those! And also the people who use them as parking spots and loading zones. The bike lane is NOT a place to pull over on a busy road while you wait for your friend to get out of your apartment. It is NOT somewhere to let people out of their cab. If you're too lazy to walk half a block from a European urban side street (not large blocks!), you need to seriously check your priorities.

A lot of drivers also pull into the bike lane in intersections and just wait there and make you go around them. I'm really not at all tolerant of this because I used to drive and when I learned to drive, we always learned to wait behind the line when making a turn and not to turn our wheels. You can pull ahead for a left turn (with your wheels straight), but not a right turn.

If everyone followed the rules, there would be fewer accidents and traffic jams. It's not like they're that hard, either.

- - - Updated - - -

I bet you still get your fair share of idiots on your bike though...I swear, some people just can't think of the consequences of hitting someone with their large, enclosed vehicle.
      Adelaide is shocking for cyclist deaths and injuries - 253 cyclist deaths in four years. The drivers here have zero respect for sharing the road with them - but unfortunately, there is a great deal of mutual disrespect and disregard between both vehicle drivers and cyclists.

We have a lot of professional cyclists and professional cycling events such as the Santos Tour Down Under. They practice riding through the Adelaide hills roads, which don't have bike lanes and are super small and super curvy. They often get hit by people flying around curves who aren't looking.

I wouldn't mind getting a bike and riding around to see the reserves and the nicer parts of town, but honestly - I'm terrified.

Comment

Originally posted by Maria de Luna View Post

Lol, Heka, you would :P
        Tehehehehehehehehe
        ThorSon's milkshake brings all the PF girls to the yard - Volcaniclastic

RIP

I have never been across the way
        Seen the desert and the birds
        You cut your hair short
        Like a shush to an insult
        The world had been yelling
        Since the day you were born
        Revolting with anger
        While it smiled like it was cute
        That everything was shit.

- J. Wylder

Comment

I am really Really REALLY tired of my sinuses always being so swollen and stopped up.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhaethe View Post
            I am really Really REALLY tired of my sinuses always being so swollen and stopped up.
            I've been having the same problem. I sleep with my mouth open like some hibernating mama bear.

So my first bus was late to the bus station. I had to wait 30 minutes to take a bus that takes me part way home. Then walk another 40 minutes home. I can't wait to transfer.
            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I'm super pissed at my boyfriend right now.

So I decided to experiment for dinner. Sometimes I like to make up my own recipes, because it's fun and I like to try things out. Most of the time, they work, sometimes, they're "meh", and every once in a while, they're awful. Not bad odds, I think.

Now, today's meal turned out to be one of those "meh" dishes. It was a bit too spicy for what it was (baked sweet potato with homemade salsa) and it was a bit sour (I think I put too much lime juice in it). Also, the olives I put in didn't really work. Anyway, not my best work, but edible and still somewhat satisfying. My boyfriend HATED it though. He complained for 15 minutes straight until I offered to make him something else (which I think was -extremely- nice of me and I only did it because he's been sick). He said no, but refused to eat what I made. Now he's not talking to me. It's like, YOU'RE pissed at me for cooking you food just because it didn't taste the way you wanted it to? Someone is sleeping on the couch tonight. I'm livid.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                Given that I am now a homeless veteran the process is expedited to only 4-6 months.

Homelessness pays off.
                I hate to say this, but get thee to NYC. The BEST VA hospital is the Manhattan VA. They will see you see you within a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Corvus View Post
                I spent weeks working on a giant castle in minecraft. Griefers found it and destroyed my storage room. That was okay, I guess, that room was explosion proof so the structure itself was fine but I lost my items. A bit annoyed but I can get those back. Today I logged on and fell into a creator where my ballroom used to be. They were in the process of blowing it up when I found them. I don't bother anyone, I moved to the edge of the server so I would be alone. Why can't I have nice things?

I'm just going to find a new server.
                I spent months in the hospital ... I'll get to that soon in my own rant.

And Minecraft actually helped me pass the time.

Play local. Get your own world started. Then allow folks in but limit their access. Grieifers are children, but at least as the master of your domain you can ban them from coming back.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by ThorsSon View Post
                I just got this email:

I replied with:

But, I should have added:

a) the Mexican flag in question was hung from a banister, not a flag pole.
                b) the student in question took down the flag from the banister... didn't raise an American flag on a flagpole.
                c) The student was suspended, not expelled.

I don't know if it is right that the student was suspended... but, lets get facts straight.

It is true that California deemed it illegal for students to wear American Flags on Cinco de Mayo.. that was in response to gang violence... not sure it was the right response... but it is true.

But... What happened to the poem at the base of the Statue of Liberty?:

What happened to the Mother of Exiles?
                What happened to "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"?
                That is applicable to those that come here legally.

Those that come here illegally are criminals and should be treated as such.

You can bring up the whole the founders came here illegally except they didn't. Not one of the First Nations had a law against immigration.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                I can't make Mexican rice to save my life. Not consistently. So I make Rice A Roni Mexican rice. Which I LOVE! But it came out sorta soupy tonight. But I gave it another 5 minutes and let it sit off the heat and sorta plump up. It's good now.
                Start with Jasmine or Basmati rice ...

2 parts rice
                1 part water

Put about 2 Tablespoons (yes really) of fat (Butter, or Olive Oil I like Olive Oil better for this) in the sauce pan, when it's really shiny and just starting to smoke add your cup of rice. Stir frantically until all the rice turns "clear", remove from heat and add 2 cups of water, and about 4 to 6 threads of saffron ... bring back to the heat, and give a little stir. When it starts to boil, cover, reduce heat to low and let cook on the heat for 20 minutes.

After 20 minutes remove from the heat and let sit covered.

Once you take that sauce pan off the heat, get a fry pan, put in minced onion, minced red pepper, smashed garlic. Cook until the garlic has that cooked fragrant scent, then add in tomato paste. Cook till the tomato paste turns a little brown and add in a splash of chicken stock, and lime juice. Add some chopped bell pepper, some jalapeno, chopped onion (lets be honest you can never have enough onion in rice) slices of garlic... when the chopped onion is clear the rice has steamed perfectly...

Dump all that into the rice and fluff with a fork.

Best Mexican Rice you'll ever have.

- - - Updated - - -

So 2 days after my last post ...

I died.. No really my heart stopped for 4 minutes, then for 5 minutes then for 3 minutes, then it finally got back with the program.

Yes I had a Myocardial Infarction.

And let me tell you IT FUCKING SUCKS!

I have congenital congestive heart failure ... the heart that did this, is a transplanted heart that I've had since I'm 23 years old (I'm approaching 42 now). I have treated this heart with kid gloves. I limit what I eat of the nom nom yummy stuff, I drink very little and all of it red wine.. 2 glasses a week ... and that's it...

and still now ... I'm waiting for a new heart, (thankfully I was able to get home yesterday). Sign your fucking organ donor cards...

Comment

holy wow...glad you're ok!

Comment

Originally posted by Liandrin View Post
                    .. and still now ... I'm waiting for a new heart, (thankfully I was able to get home yesterday). Sign your fucking organ donor cards...
                    bolded mine. For a lot of us that is not an option, especially military types. I can't donate organs or give blood because of being exposed to mad cow disease while being stationed in Europe. For me two separate periods that are years apart but still figured in. Same reason my wife and neither of my sons can give blood or donate as it stands right now. Much more to it than just signing the card or checking the block on your drivers license application.

- - - Updated - - -

Tried to separate the these two responses but forgot they got tagged together. Wanted to address one aspect separate from the other. Glad to hear your doing ok and hope it all comes together for you soon.
                    I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Liandrin, I gotta echo Danie's remark. I'm glad to hear you're still with us (uh, the living, that is).

AND!
                      Yes. Donor cards! They are absolutely vital for at least one other person! I just can't fathom anyone not becoming a donor, outside of medical or religious beliefs. (But even then, with the latter... I doubt anyone's God would get pissed about a person that tries to save another's life. That's just me.)
                      Last edited by ChainLightning; 28 Jun 2014, 03:42. Reason: Specified, rather than vague.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                        I can't donate organs or give blood because of being exposed to mad cow disease while being stationed in Europe. For me two separate periods that are years apart but still figured in. Same reason my wife and neither of my sons can give blood or donate as it stands right now. Much more to it than just signing the card or checking the block on your drivers license application.

-
                        Actually, while you can't donate blood, and while there are certain organs that they couldn't transplant (heart valves, skin, and blood) there are other organs they can transplant (heart, pancreas, kidneys, corneas, liver, and lungs), even if you lived in the UK or France between 1980 and 1996 for more than 6 months
                        Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                          Liandrin, I gotta echo Danie's remark. I'm glad to hear you're still with us (uh, the living, that is).
                          I want to make it clear that that's what I meant! No matter what happens, you are still here. That must have been a scary thing to happen.

AND!
                          Yes. Donor cards! They are absolutely vital for at least one other person! I just can't fathom anyone not becoming a donor, outside of medical or religious beliefs. (But even then, with the latter... I doubt anyone's God would get pissed about a person that tries to save another's life. That's just me.)
                          I have to second this. Some countries (not here) change it around so you don't have to check the box if you want to be a organ donor...you have to check the box if you DON'T. Those countries have far more donors. Apparently a lot of people just don't bother to check boxes, no matter what they say.

Comment

I hate to say this, but get thee to NYC. The BEST VA hospital is the Manhattan VA. They will see you see you within a week.
                            Yeah, it's true, and I answer phone calls for doctors in NY (among other states) with questions about claims and all sorts of things so I get to see how much they pay and the copay and benefit information and it's pretty damned sweet. They'd probably put you on the Long Term Care plan since you're disabled. The insurance company I work for is called Wellcare in case any of this sounds appealing.

I died.. No really my heart stopped for 4 minutes, then for 5 minutes then for 3 minutes, then it finally got back with the program.

I have congenital congestive heart failure ... the heart that did this, is a transplanted heart that I've had since I'm 23 years old (I'm approaching 42 now). I have treated this heart with kid gloves. I limit what I eat of the nom nom yummy stuff, I drink very little and all of it red wine.. 2 glasses a week ... and that's it...

and still now ... I'm waiting for a new heart, (thankfully I was able to get home yesterday). Sign your fucking organ donor cards...
                            Oh my god, are you all right? How are you feeling? I feel like this deserves its own thread so we can throw love and support at you! <3
                            Last edited by Bjorn; 28 Jun 2014, 05:59. Reason: effed up the code
                            No one tells the wind which way to blow.

Comment

Wow, I hope everything works out for the best and I'm glad you've pull through.
                              We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                              It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                              Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                              -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

I hate enduring family scandals.... It's really bothersome... It will be a miracle if nobody will end in a madhouse.... ><
                                "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                                X