THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Cluster feeding.... Natures additional FU to new mommas.
    http://catcrowsnow.blogspot.com/

But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness.... Which could obviously only be redeemed by passing through the fiery inferno of my digestive tract.
    ~Jim Butcher

Comment

50 degrees in June. Really?

Comment

Reading god-damned 9th grade research papers...

Fortunately, many don't get turned in, reducing my work load.

Then, I separate out the most obvious examples of cut-and-paste plagiarism (do they REALLY think I'm that stupid? I demonstrated in class how easy it is to catch that crap).

But I'm still left with the papers that are typed without capital letters, that use "ur" for "you are" and "u" for "you," and assorted shit (don't even get me started on "s" and " 's" or the forms of "there/their/they're)that should have been stopped back in third grade, if not sooner.

Alcohol. I need alcohol.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post

Then, I separate out the most obvious examples of cut-and-paste plagiarism (do they REALLY think I'm that stupid? I demonstrated in class how easy it is to catch that crap).

But I'm still left with the papers that are typed without capital letters, that use "ur" for "you are" and "u" for "you," and assorted shit (don't even get me started on "s" and " 's" or the forms of "there/their/they're)that should have been stopped back in third grade, if not sooner.

Alcohol. I need alcohol.
          FACEPALM. If I could, I'd send you over some beer...or whatever your poison is

Comment

Right now, CH3CHOHCH3 would be a fine poison.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Alcohol. I need alcohol.
              This is one of the biggest reasons I will never be a teacher. I would be horrible at the job, for one, but also... It irks me to no end when people use u instead of you or ur instead of you are or you're.

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
              �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
              ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
              Sneak Attack
              Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

LOL - I should intersperse some good things about my job in between the complaints. There actually are a lot of really good things about working with young people, and I do seriously like my work.

But not when it's this close to off time. I need time away, the kids need time away - I'm not an advocate of year-round school years.

(the average of the research papers was actually higher this year than I've ever seen, and there were a few I even enjoyed reading)

Comment

LOL - I should intersperse some good things about my job in between the complaints. There actually are a lot of really good things about working with young people, and I do seriously like my work.

But not when it's this close to off time. I need time away, the kids need time away - I'm not an advocate of year-round school years.

(the average of the research papers was actually higher this year than I've ever seen, and there were a few I even enjoyed reading)
                  When I got to pick the topic, I used to love research papers.
                  Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                    Me too. My problem was always making them short enough. That's one reason I ended up where I am.

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                      I enjoyed researching and writing the papers. My biggest issue was keeping it upon a specific concept and word count. I did one paper on Krakatoa that I had to keep refining until I settled upon the chemical mixture of the magma. Yet originally I kept trying to tie in so many side perspectives the paper couldn't and wouldn't flow properly.
                      I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Dear Dog,

Why do your farts smell like you are pushing a small, rotten child out of your anus? I mean, seriously. I don't feed you human food. You don't eat trash (usually). You have high quality food. I feed you yogurt.

Please stop fumigating my house with your ass gas.

Mostly art.

Comment

Postcolonial studies. I hate them. I mean, it's probably interesting, but doing an exam when the question is basically : analyze discourse in 2 texts of your own choice from the curiculum, minimum 10 pages. Due in one week... I don't know how to make that 10 pages! We don't even have a definition of what postcolonialism is, just a bunch of poems and a novel.
                          You remind me of the babe
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                            Postcolonial studies. I hate them. I mean, it's probably interesting, but doing an exam when the question is basically : analyze discourse in 2 texts of your own choice from the curiculum, minimum 10 pages. Due in one week... I don't know how to make that 10 pages! We don't even have a definition of what postcolonialism is, just a bunch of poems and a novel.
                            I hated vague questions.

The worst one I had to deal with was a take-home essay test with one question: What did you learn in this class?

One week and 80 pages later, when we went in to turn in our tomes, he explained that what he meant was: Explain one thing you learned in this class.

In one sentence I could have answered: Don't ask vague questions on essay tests.

Comment

I hated vague questions.

The worst one I had to deal with was a take-home essay test with one question: What did you learn in this class?

One week and 80 pages later, when we went in to turn in our tomes, he explained that what he meant was: Explain one thing you learned in this class.

In one sentence I could have answered: Don't ask vague questions on essay tests.
                              Seriously? What kind of question is that. "Let's play a game of 'guess what the teacher is thinking'!"
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
                                Seriously? What kind of question is that. "Let's play a game of 'guess what the teacher is thinking'!"
                                But here's the funny part...

The three worst teachers I've ever had in a long line of teachers were teaching me how to be a teacher.

One guy was 120 years old (or thereabouts), and he just sat at a desk and rambled incoherently for two hours per class.

The second one was a "well respected educational researcher" who seems to have felt that teaching was a waste of time that could have been better spent doing writing journal articles. In that class, to this day, I have absolutely no idea what I was supposed to learn. Neither did anybody else in the class. Every single student got a C. In every other education class I took I got an A.

The third was the guy I mentioned, who just wasn't really on the ball. I think he made it all up as he went along.

Comment

Working...
                                X