THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    We've had unusually wet & cool weather (actually, it's more like "normally" wet & cool weather, but we've had about 7-8 years of unseasonable hot & dry), and the mower is busted, so the grass is running at waist deep.

I'm more than willing to get a flock of chickens up and running, if it will help. I like chickens anyway (perfect excuse to get those phoenix' I've been eyeballing, anyway ).
    A colleague of mine is building this right now. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-eggcelsior

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner
    �Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
    ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
    Sneak Attack
    Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by Juniper View Post
      A colleague of mine is building this right now. http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-eggcelsior

That is adorable...

Comment

I love that! It looks a lot like the sugar shack* I'm planning for out back!

(*sugar shack - technically, a building where maple sap is boiled down into maple syrup, but, since this is a long, slow process that requires people to be on duty to watch so it doesn't burn, it also connotes a place where couples find interesting things to do to kill time, if ya know what I mean... wink wink, nod nod, say no more..)
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Absolutely gutted. I have to start by explaining what rakugo is. It's a form of story telling where a single performer sits kneeling in front of the audience and tells a, usually comical, story in which they perform all the parts using nothing but their upper body, a fan and a towel/hanky. It's amazing how many objects a fan can become with clever acting!

Anyway, so my rant then. There's an Englsh rakugo performer who lives in Japan and performs in perfect, fluent Japanese. She's very talented. I found out earlier tonight that she is coming to Durham on 22nd and will be giving a performance in English. I've never seen rakugo in English and would really love to. She's doing a workshop afterwards too, to teach the techniques. But I'm working on 21st and Durham is quite a journey from Newcastle, especially the Teikyo university, which is quite far from the station. I've no chance of getting there.

I'll never get a chance like that again.
          夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Originally posted by Jembru View Post
            Absolutely gutted. I have to start by explaining what rakugo is. It's a form of story telling where a single performer sits kneeling in front of the audience and tells a, usually comical, story in which they perform all the parts using nothing but their upper body, a fan and a towel/hanky. It's amazing how many objects a fan can become with clever acting!

Anyway, so my rant then. There's an Englsh rakugo performer who lives in Japan and performs in perfect, fluent Japanese. She's very talented. I found out earlier tonight that she is coming to Durham on 22nd and will be giving a performance in English. I've never seen rakugo in English and would really love to. She's doing a workshop afterwards too, to teach the techniques. But I'm working on 21st and Durham is quite a journey from Newcastle, especially the Teikyo university, which is quite far from the station. I've no chance of getting there.

I'll never get a chance like that again.
            Can you take a personal day and not work?

�Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted. And experience is often the most valuable thing you have to offer.�
            ― Randy Pausch, The Last Lecture
            Sneak Attack
            Avatar picture by the wonderful and talented TJSGrimm.

Comment

Can you take a personal day and not work?

There's a bit of a story there. I requested the 19th of June as a day off because my dad is having a little pre-solstice barbeque. Thing is, my boss is a little bit dim, and looked at the date I made the request, which was 17th May, and gave me the 17th off instead. I was originally off on 21st, the night before the rakugo event, but because we can't work more than 4 nights in a row, and we both had training meaning we can't work the night before or the night of the training, we ended up swapping 4 shifts just to make it possible that I can have 19th off. The 21st was one of the days I had to pick up. I could only cover it if a dayshift worker would swap. As I'm sure you can imagine, even with the higher hourly rate, people aren't keen on staying awake all night, so there's no chance of that...

If my boss wasn't a tool and had given me the proper day off, then I probably would have already been off that day...
              夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Errgh. Naps + unproductive day + anxiety = going to be a great, sleepless night.
                baah.

Comment

I ate a good breakfast at 10am. I had a 6 inch sub at 4pm. I am now shaking while I eat my dinner.
                  This sucks. What I do wrong?
                  Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                    I ate a good breakfast at 10am. I had a 6 inch sub at 4pm. I am now shaking while I eat my dinner.
                    This sucks. What I do wrong?
                    How much activity are you doing? If I don't keep snacks on hand and it is a busy, I 'll get the shakes.

- - - Updated - - -

The first solstice festival I publicly going to and it is threatening to flood.

Comment

Ooow... I was sitting outside, writing, when something landed on my leg startling me. Instinctively I wafted it away, forgetting I was holding a pen... I just stabbed myself in the leg with a pen...
                      You remind me of the babe
                      What babe?
                      The babe with the power
                      What power?
                      The Power of voodoo
                      Who do?
                      You do!
                      Do what?
                      Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

I'm just a grumpy-face today and I don't really know why. Also, I lost my tootsie roll somewhere. And it was my last piece of chocolate-ish candy... aside from the bottle of chocolate-flavored adult beverage I picked up on the way home from work to snap my brain out of its grumpiness (it goes along with my spa night plan).

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                          I'm just a grumpy-face today and I don't really know why. Also, I lost my tootsie roll somewhere. And it was my last piece of chocolate-ish candy... aside from the bottle of chocolate-flavored adult beverage I picked up on the way home from work to snap my brain out of its grumpiness (it goes along with my spa night plan).
                          Somebody tossed a handful of chocolate in my purse. I'd magic it to you if I could.
                          We are what we are. Nothing more, nothing less. There is good and evil among every kind of people. It's the evil among us who rule now. -Anne Bishop, Daughter of the Blood

I wondered if he could ever understand that it was a blessing, not a sin, to be graced with more than one love.
                          It could be complicated; of course it could be complicated. And it opened one up to the possibility of more pain and loss.
                          Still, it was a blessing I would never relinquish. Love, genuine love, was always a cause for joy.
                          -Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse

Service to your fellows is the root of peace.

Comment

Originally posted by Shahaku View Post
                            Somebody tossed a handful of chocolate in my purse. I'd magic it to you if I could.
                            D'aww thanks. ^^ Even if the magic-transporting pc monitor isn't an option... yet...

Comment

Bang. Out of the blue: anxiety attack. Haven't had one of those for a few months. I really missed crying and shaking uncontrollably when I'm trying to get to sleep. Best thing is what has triggered it: vacation. Yes. I seem to be more stressed by having nothing to do than by endless exams and papers... makes sense... Nothing to distract my head from worrying = anxiety attacks... I really thought it had gotten better I guess it has, I'm not convinced that I'm dying... but I'd rather it would just f* off...
                              You remind me of the babe
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post

Yep totally same here. I was snappy and all kinds of on fire. Yesterday was worse today looked like it was going to be just as bad but I went and got a hand full of chocolate and a Dr. Pepper and hid in the back. One more day till I'm off. I hope your day tomorrow is better!!!
                                "If you want to know what a man is like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals." -- Sirius Black

"Time is an illusion, lunch time doubly so."-- Ford Prefect

Comment

Working...
                                X