Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
    Blech. I love fashion, clothes and design, but I hate most of the industry surrounding it. Style is about creating a personal style that you can always keep with you, not about following what a bunch of people dictate is "cool" for that fall.
    Agreed. Fortunately, if you're smart about it, you can use your normal wardrobe to mimic current fashions (for the most part anyway).

I also find it kind of entertaining how the clothing being sold these days in the major teen fashion stores are incredibly similar to the 80's styles... minus the hair... for now... hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkfeathers View Post
      I was looking up how to tell is something's dishwasher safe or not, and some of the things people said freaked me out. One person said she'd bought some dishes that she later found were NOT dw-safe. So, she said, she plans to use them as extras for a party and can just THROW THEM OUT afterwards. It's called rubber gloves and dish soap, you lazy, spoiled fool.
      I don't really see a problem with not keeping them, but I'd hope she'd donate them or something instead of just throwing them in the trash can. I mean, I have a dishwasher and I'd hate to have to separately wash those dishes whenever they were used. I'd rather just have all dishwasher-safe items so I don't have to double my work.

Comment

Things do change,point in fact my MIL had a toaster she had for over 30 years,it did finally die and we bought a new one that only lasted like 3 months. I could not get the old one fixed because most of the fix-it guys had gone out of business. If I had been handy with a soldering gun I might have fixed it myself,but that is not a talent I possess. When buying anything anymore I check the Consumer reports to see what will last. It is kinda sad to see things end up this way. There is also an issue with Pirax(sp),the older pieces last a long time,but they changed the formula for making them,and I have seen reports of them shattering after being taken out of the over because they cooled to fast.
        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Made in China (or somewhere comparable in terms of labor practices) with cheap labor and shitty components.

Seriously, my grandparents have a TV from 1980, my dad has a radio from 1967 (he built it from a Radio Shack kit), and my mom has a rotary phone that is older than I am. They all work. In fact, they all work better than their modern counterparts.

We can blame businesses...but we need to look in the mirror too. We consumers (as a group) would rather buy cheap than nice.
          I think a lot of that also has to do with computer chip technology and stuff. I saw the Navy go from full repair to the single part, down to component level to only locating the bad board to sending things off for repair. It's the same across most of the industries as it's cheaper to replace boards and such than to pay a tech to go in and do board replacement or repair. Then figure many times one is unable to test a component so its an assumption as to it operational capacity.

Much of that technology begining in the mid 1980's.
          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
            I saw the Navy go from full repair to the single part
            That's like now, with even repairing ships systems. It use to be that repair shops on board did their own work...fabrication, set up, overhaul, etc...now its all contracted out. When I joined the Navy, R div could pretty much fix anything underway (and they carried the parts to do most things, or the stuff to fab a new one)...now...nearly no one has the skills. So, they *have* to fly out a tech or come into port for contractors or civilians to come aboard to fix their systems.

I guess I won't complain about job security, but I'd love to see the math of how its cheaper to fly out some contractor, pay them around the clock, plus location pay, etc than it is to just have trained personnel there...people you are all ready paying who would probably like to have job skills for when they get out. I know when the hubby worked as a contractor (as opposed to a regualr gov't employee) he made $5 more an hour AND they payed for his hotel, his rental car, and per diem--all together, he made twice what he makes now AND he still had benefits and paid time off.
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

That's like now, with even repairing ships systems. It use to be that repair shops on board did their own work...fabrication, set up, overhaul, etc...now its all contracted out. When I joined the Navy, R div could pretty much fix anything underway (and they carried the parts to do most things, or the stuff to fab a new one)...now...nearly no one has the skills. So, they *have* to fly out a tech or come into port for contractors or civilians to come aboard to fix their systems.

I guess I won't complain about job security, but I'd love to see the math of how its cheaper to fly out some contractor, pay them around the clock, plus location pay, etc than it is to just have trained personnel there...people you are all ready paying who would probably like to have job skills for when they get out. I know when the hubby worked as a contractor (as opposed to a regualr gov't employee) he made $5 more an hour AND they payed for his hotel, his rental car, and per diem--all together, he made twice what he makes now AND he still had benefits and paid time off.
              I was in when they went from having admin and pay as part of each command and created PSD's and PSA's. All the jobs once held by military personal were transfered to civilian workers who made more, worked fewer hours and managed to screw up our pay in a way I never saw with active duty pay clerks and such. They said it was more cost efficient to do that but I never understood how. Sort of how they claimed it saved hundreds of thousands of dollars to change our paydays from the 15th and 30th of each month to the 1st and 15th.

Always reminded me how any construction projects in the US on a military bases had to be put to bid when you have the Navy Construction Battalion's (CB's) and the Army Corp of Engineers but they can only do something if it is turned down by others.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

So tomorrow night after work, I'm meeting up with some of my friends at a bar that also has karaoke! Great. Fab. Awesome. I'm glad I'm going to my other friend can have someone with her that doesn't drink. Great. Fab. Awesome. Her and I will have diet sodas or gingerales or even Shirley Temples. Great. Fab. Awesome. I don't have to get up in the morning the next day since it's my day off. You know the drill.

Welp. I have to give blood the next day for my doctor visit next week. I have to fast for 14 hours. I don't even get diet soda. I get water.

Great.
                Fab.
                Awesome.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Lost an entire astronomy paper to my computer's sleep/hibernate/whatever mode.......... Looks a long night. Cheers *clinks energy drink*

Comment

...................... -_- *ugh*

Comment

My daughter's vaccinations wouldn't have gone so awfully if that nurse had been vaguely competent. First, she hits Guppy's toe with the door (she was on the same side, she knew she was there!) and did that really annoying thing people often do when they know an accident was their fault, namely, claim immediately that it WASN'T their fault. Guppy barely got the first shriek out before this woman was saying, "She pulled the door on her foot, I didn't even do it!" Then when she comes back to give the shots, she insists that I lay my toddler on the table instead of holding her and tries to convince me this is somehow better than holding her. It wasn't. But I just wanted to get my poor girl out of there at that point.

Comment

I do NOT like when people assume, incorrectly, what I feel, and then try to prove that my feeling that way is wrong. Come to think of it... I don't like people assuming ANYTHING about me. Right OR wrong.

I most definitely do not react well to condescension, patronization or infantile platitudes.

Go choke on a deep-fried twat waffle, you arrogant male, hamster-genital tumor!

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Dammit...I'm writing something and I can't decide if I should set it on earth or not. How do you know when you should or not?

Comment

I often see people say things like "oh, but its so bad out there today" or "I could never let my kids just go outside because *gasp* society (or crime, or "people these days" or...whatever)." And, I really just sort of shake my head. Because...if you (like me) were born in the 1980's, when (according to some of the meme's I've seen and my own childhood) you "played outside til the streetlights came on" (and without direct parental supervision), I'm here to tell you that crime rates were higher then (10 minutes of Google can direct you to any number of crime studies or the FBI's website, which pretty much tell you the same thing). Perhaps they don't seem that way. Well, there are two reasons for that--one, media distortion is worse in our 24-7 plugged in reality than it was when we were kids, and two, hindsight isn't quite as 20-20 as we'd like to think.

So, the next time you decide you just have to keep your child indoors because you don't have 20 minutes to spare to hover over them like a helicopter because you fear the world, think about what you are *actually* teaching them. You aren't teaching them to be cautious in their interactions with others, you aren't teaching them to have confidence in their experiences, and you certainly aren't teaching them how to handle themselves in public...you are teaching them fear.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Thal,I do remember growing up where my Mom would kick us out of the house in the summer to play. In the neighborhood we lived in however Every parent was your parent. If it was getting late another parent would tell you "Get your butt home,your momma will be mad" and my Mother of course would do the same for other kids. It was a different time for sure,that was in the late 50's early 60's.
                              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                                I do NOT like when people assume, incorrectly, what I feel, and then try to prove that my feeling that way is wrong. Come to think of it... I don't like people assuming ANYTHING about me. Right OR wrong.

I most definitely do not react well to condescension, patronization or infantile platitudes.

Go choke on a deep-fried twat waffle, you arrogant male, hamster-genital tumor!
                                OK, just some fuc..........(had to rember which rant I was in)....n old fart lettining off some artistically verbalized and well structured steam.

Didn't want to sound too patronizaing, but on the other hand I couldn't let outstanding work go unrecognized.
                                You are the Shakespeare of this little forum there Sir Chain!

- - - Updated - - -

I often see people say things like "oh, but its so bad out there today" or "I could never let my kids just go outside because *gasp* society (or crime, or "people these days" or...whatever)." And, I really just sort of shake my head. Because...if you (like me) were born in the 1980's, when (according to some of the meme's I've seen and my own childhood) you "played outside til the streetlights came on" (and without direct parental supervision), I'm here to tell you that crime rates were higher then (10 minutes of Google can direct you to any number of crime studies or the FBI's website, which pretty much tell you the same thing). Perhaps they don't seem that way. Well, there are two reasons for that--one, media distortion is worse in our 24-7 plugged in reality than it was when we were kids, and two, hindsight isn't quite as 20-20 as we'd like to think.

So, the next time you decide you just have to keep your child indoors because you don't have 20 minutes to spare to hover over them like a helicopter because you fear the world, think about what you are *actually* teaching them. You aren't teaching them to be cautious in their interactions with others, you aren't teaching them to have confidence in their experiences, and you certainly aren't teaching them how to handle themselves in public...you are teaching them fear.
                                The nails head is hurting there squirrel girl!
                                Gargoyles watch over me...I can hear them snicker in the dark.

Pull the operating handle (which protrudes from the right side of the receiver) smartly to the rear and release it.

Comment

Working...
                                X