THE RANT THREAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: THE RANT THREAD!

I never request time off, I never turn down overtime, but all I asked for was TWO days off so I could go to the festival at the Durham campus of Teikyo University. My colleague, the other night worker, had booked holidays but her passport didn't come in time. She has it now, so asked to take two weeks off at very short notice. Now I have to work the one weekend I asked to keep free. I'll try to fight this, but it doesn't look good. No one wants to cover a waking night on a Saturday and that will be my boss's argument. He'll say there is literally no one alive, willing to put up with the hours I do week in and week out.

I was really looking forward to this and I had several friends meeting me there.
    夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

While lying in bed last night I heard the scratchings and what seems to be berzerker rage of a mouse under my bed! I put out rat poision fiesta for it.

Eat up lil fella.
      Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I have a chronic case of unable-to-sleep. Damn you, jetlag. Damn you.

Mostly art.

Comment

I think jobs would be so much easier to get without HR.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            I think jobs would be so much easier to get without HR.

Forgive me, Danie, but may I ask what HR is?

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

Tattoo will you stop friggin itching!!!! x
              "You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me"- CS Lewis

https://www.facebook.com/KimberlyHagenART

Comment

Originally posted by ChainLightning View Post
                Forgive me, Danie, but may I ask what HR is?
                Human Resources.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by FantasyWitch View Post
                Tattoo will you stop friggin itching!!!! x
                What did you get?

Mostly art.

Comment

Yep I meant Human Resources departments. Everywhere uses them here, even if it's an office of like 50 people.

Comment

That was what I thought, I just didn't want to assume. I totally agree, by the way. I'm sure of it, too.

"Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." - Marcus Aurelius

"The very ink with which history is written is merely fluid prejudice." - Mark Twain

"The only gossip I'm interested in is things from the Weekly World News - 'Woman's bra bursts, 11 injured'. That kind of thing." - Johnny Depp

Comment

It's so nice to know that my strident efforts to study for a degree I was led to believe would assist me in my aspirations as an editor, along with the free work I did for others in return for references, not to mention the studies in my free time, is just another sign of my generation's "undeserved sense of self-entitlement". Yep, how dare I believe studying and working would lead to a career or pay off? How uppity of me! I should have gotten proper unpaid internships in cities I can't afford when I could barely afford living expenses with the job I had and convinced local staff that demanded 3-5 years experience for jobs to hire me anyway. Yep, I'm just an uppity spoiled bitch for working towards what I want and not expecting it to be handed to me. I'm an uppity bitch for applying for jobs for which I'm "overqualified" so I can pay my bills (never mind I can do the work and no one else has bothered to apply). Meanwhile my mother is handed a job because the person interviewing her bitched and moaned about all these "shady 20-somethings" applying for the same job. Then I'm told when I don't have a job after years of these games because I'm "not trying". Fuck you, ageist fucks!
                      my etsy store
                      My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                      surrounded by plush, downy things,
                      ill prepared, but willing,
                      to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                        It's so nice to know that my strident efforts to study for a degree I was led to believe would assist me in my aspirations as an editor, along with the free work I did for others in return for references, not to mention the studies in my free time, is just another sign of my generation's "undeserved sense of self-entitlement". Yep, how dare I believe studying and working would lead to a career or pay off? How uppity of me! I should have gotten proper unpaid internships in cities I can't afford when I could barely afford living expenses with the job I had and convinced local staff that demanded 3-5 years experience for jobs to hire me anyway. Yep, I'm just an uppity spoiled bitch for working towards what I want and not expecting it to be handed to me. I'm an uppity bitch for applying for jobs for which I'm "overqualified" so I can pay my bills (never mind I can do the work and no one else has bothered to apply). Meanwhile my mother is handed a job because the person interviewing her bitched and moaned about all these "shady 20-somethings" applying for the same job. Then I'm told when I don't have a job after years of these games because I'm "not trying". Fuck you, ageist fucks!
                        I totally hear you. I went through school being told that I had to get a degree or some sort of post secondary training so I wouldn't "have to work at McDonalds"...now all I seem to hear is how my generation "doesn't want to work at McDonalds."

The shitty thing is, I know people who have done internships, and it still sucks finding a job. It's rough out there.

Comment

Yep I meant Human Resources departments. Everywhere uses them here, even if it's an office of like 50 people.
                          We had to clean the store extra clean last night because some chic from human resources with the district manager was coming down. Meh

Cancelling a membership is stressing me the hell out.
                          Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

I totally hear you. I went through school being told that I had to get a degree or some sort of post secondary training so I wouldn't "have to work at McDonalds"...now all I seem to hear is how my generation "doesn't want to work at McDonalds."

The shitty thing is, I know people who have done internships, and it still sucks finding a job. It's rough out there.
                            I didn't even get the "get a degree or else", it was always do well in school or else. Like I said I don't mind working a job that's "beneath me"; I just need to know if I am capable of doing the job. Then again, I was amused by an anecdote about an HR company demanding IT guys have more experience in a computer language than said language's existed. People are just being asshats, especially when it comes to hiring.
                            my etsy store
                            My blog

"...leave me curled up in my ball,
                            surrounded by plush, downy things,
                            ill prepared, but willing,
                            to descend."

Comment

Originally posted by Caelia View Post
                              I didn't even get the "get a degree or else", it was always do well in school or else. Like I said I don't mind working a job that's "beneath me"; I just need to know if I am capable of doing the job. Then again, I was amused by an anecdote about an HR company demanding IT guys have more experience in a computer language than said language's existed. People are just being asshats, especially when it comes to hiring.
                              When I finished college, I was turned down for jobs due to "no experience", too. Years later, I was "too old" or "overqualified" ( I hated hearing that) LOL I guess there's some vaguely defined grey area where you have just the right amount of experience but not TOO much.
                              sigpic
                              Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

There is another danger of taking a job you're overqualified for. You might, like me, love your job. Then even if the job market improves, you'll be reluctant to move on. I can't complain at my wage, although I really do work a lot of hours to be able to bring home the money I do. It's not the wage that holds me here though. It is the amazing people I work with, it is the satisfaction of knowing my job actually makes a difference to the lives of others, it's the fact that I work within walking distance of my home and, best of all, I have loads of free time at work. I can read, study, surf the net, do yoga and many of the things I'd do if I had a quiet evening to myself at home. Sure, in theory, I could be earning more, but even assuming I could get such a job, I really don't think long term, I'd be so happy as I am now. I'd be able to travel more frequently, I could afford to buy new clothes more than twice a year and could afford to wear adult petite instead of children's clothes. I might even get my hair done instead of cutting it myself over the bathroom sink. But these things, while nice, are so short lived and long term, could not make me nearly as happy as I am having time to do all the things I like to do. So, I'm a bit stuck in my comfort zone now and I doubt I'll ever find the motivation to move on.
                                夕方に急なにわか雨は「夕立」と呼ばれるなら、なぜ朝ににわか雨は「朝立ち」と呼ばれないの? ^^If a sudden rain shower in the evening is referred to as an 'evening stand', then why isn't a shower in the morning called 'morning stand'?

Comment

Working...
                                X