Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Please do not speak, anybody! for Americans.

Each American has a voice of his or her own.

When somebody, anybody! speaks for "Americans" they are choosing the voice they want, and silencing all the rest.

I, myself, welcome refugees. "Give us your poor, your war torn, your huddled masses..." I am an American.

This discussion has become silly.
    Last edited by B. de Corbin; 13 Oct 2015, 01:36.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Corbin, some 'Americans' are speaking very loudly for themselves here. And I am NOT against Americans - my last post was a response to Medusa's (and last time I looked, she is an American.) I am utterly disgusted with the UK/'s response too.
      www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
        Corbin, some 'Americans' are speaking very loudly for themselves here. And I am NOT against Americans - my last post was a response to Medusa's (and last time I looked, she is an American.) I am utterly disgusted with the UK/'s response too.
        I know, Tylluan. You seem to dislike most governments equally (jk ).

One rule of thumb I've come to trust in most situations is that those who speak loudest frequently have the least to say, and shout to drown out the voices of others.

The US has a long history of taking in people from other countries, and giving them a home. This is why the Native Americans hate us.

Everybody from religious refugees from Europe to Cubans fleeing Castro has found a home here.

Frequently there is trouble while they assimilate, but, in every case, the net result was a better country, with more diversity, interesting cultural traditions, cool foods, a massive influx of intelligence, and new ways of seeing things.

Strength in a country, as in genetics, lies in variety, not sameness.
        Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
          Strength in a country, as in genetics, lies in variety, not sameness.
          tHIS. A thousand times, this!
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
            Um, 2.7 million people (around half the country) fled Bosnia during the Bosnian conflict.
            And many of them ended up in St. Louis, MO (it has the highest number of Bosnians outside of Bosnia).
            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
            sigpic

Comment

I am cool with immigrants,and when they become Americans and swear to forsake all other governments,and pledge to be completely AMERICAN!!! WELCOME WELCOME
              MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
              NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
              don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
              http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                And many of them ended up in St. Louis, MO (it has the highest number of Bosnians outside of Bosnia).
                That doesn't surprise me, since the US took in the highest number of Bosnian refugees of any other country.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                I am cool with immigrants,and when they become Americans and swear to forsake all other governments,and pledge to be completely AMERICAN!!! WELCOME WELCOME
                As a dual citizen, I can tell you that national identity is not that black and white. I know plenty of Americans with dual citizenship (mostly German Americans) who feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
                  As a dual citizen, I can tell you that national identity is not that black and white. I know plenty of Americans with dual citizenship (mostly German Americans) who feel the same way.
                  I think what he means is: Don't be here to overthrow our government...

Comment

Yup,ya want the benefits of being here,you MUST want to really be an AMERICAN..all the way down to the warts and the full tilt eating American food that is always deep fried....

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Well, I think we can all get behind that

Comment

I am a mean one mr. grinch..Or however the Dr. Souse line goes.

So here.

sigpic

witchvox

Comment

Personally I think it's more than that. We've always had enclaves of this or that ethnic group and traditions from their old country. Yet it seems we're getting more and more enclaves now that want to recreate their "former" home within the U.S. or change the U.S. all together. The Sharia Law thing I admit is a big one and appears to be growing regardless of our media and such doing such a great job to say its not. It's also things like the prevention of, or preventing of the display of American things less it offend someone. We see all the time kids being expelled from schools because they wanted to wear a U.S. flag but it might offend someone. Mexican's seem to be the group we hear that about a lot.

Granted a lot of it is probably also media spin the other way but it still makes it seem as if the American presence is being forsaken to appease the so called groups that want presence in America.
                          I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                            it still makes it seem as if the American presence is being forsaken to appease the so called groups that want presence in America.
                            This is why history is so important. And not the watered down crud they put in my kids school books. Our current world events are more similar than not to the anti-papist scare of the Know Nothing party.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                              This is why history is so important. And not the watered down crud they put in my kids school books. Our current world events are more similar than not to the anti-papist scare of the Know Nothing party.
                              Truthfully do not recall the Know Nothing Party history but this whole unfolding situation reminds me of the Irish immigration into America and how they were met and resisted.
                              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I dunno...I can't comment on the US, because this is one of the areas where Canada and the US has been really culturally different for decades. But, when I grew up in Canada, we were always told that we were a "mosaic" and not a "melting pot." We were always taught to celebrate our culture and our differences, because the mix is part of what made us collectively Canadian. It wasn't always that way (before the 60s, Canada was VERY MUCH a melting pot), but the 60s and 70s saw a lot of changes in Canadian national identity, which were what a lot of us grew up with.

But now, it's like a subset of the population wants to change that. We have a prime minister who uses terms like "Old Stock Canadian" (what does that even mean?) and people beating up women wearing head coverings in the streets. And even worse, the country that welcomed refugees from Bosnia, Africa, and other places for years is suddenly too scared to take in people from the Middle East. So if I'm critical of the attitude, a lot of it is coming from my sheer frustration at this situation.

Comment

Working...
                                X