Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: migrants:What to do...Europe needs to decide.

After WWII an entire country was fabricated to hold refugees...

And we know how well that worked out.
    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

We have done our part ... And then some for quite a while ... http://www.migrationpolicy.org/artic...lement-program ... http://www.rescue.org/blog/1975-larg...history-irc-75 ... http://www.state.gov/j/prm/releases/...ics/228666.htm ...
      I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them ... John Bernard Books

Indian Chief 'Two Eagles' was asked by a white government official; "You have observed the white man for 90 years. You've seen his wars and his technological advances. You've seen his progress, and the damage he's done."

The Chief nodded in agreement.

The official continued; "Considering all these events, in your opinion, where did the white man go wrong?"

The Chief stared at the government official for over a minute and then calmly replied.. "When white man find land, Indians running it, no taxes, no debt, plenty buffalo, plenty beaver, clean water. Women did all the work, Medicine Man free. Indian man spend all day hunting and fishing; all night having sex."

Then the chief leaned back and smiled; "Only white man dumb enough to think he could improve system like that."

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
        If it were white people fleeing from a war torn country there would be no controversy over the content of their character or intentions. You could bring out every control to stop terrorists in this country and the Conservatives will still scream bloody murder about brown people coming in this country.
        That's pretty much it.

Comment

When did my responsibility come to include saving others from their decisions?

How can I take responsibility for those I don't control?

If the world at large is my responsibility then someone forgot to include that in my job description and pay scale.
          The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
          I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Because brutal civil war is totally their decision? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by DanieMarie View Post
              Because brutal civil war is totally their decision? I don't think so.
              Imagine if our European and North American ancestors had run when revolt, civil war, etc occurred on our soil. No they stayed, they fought for what they believed in and desired for their future and many died to obtain it. Nor can you say that the civil war and stuff of today is any more deadly or hostile to the people than any other period in time. But one thing it has historically done is make for a heck of a juggernaut to push ones morality, ideas, religions, etc upon others as you flood their infa-structure and overwhelm them.
              I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

If it wasn't their decision and they hold no responsibility to try to change it then why is it my responsibility?

Did your country start the war? Was it your country's decision? When a country has an internal conflict what makes it the responsibility of the world to fix it?
                The Dragon sees infinity and those it touches are forced to feel the reality of it.
                I am his student and his partner. He is my guide and an ominous friend.

Comment

Originally posted by monsno_leedra View Post
                  Imagine if our European and North American ancestors had run when revolt, civil war, etc occurred on our soil. No they stayed, they fought for what they believed in and desired for their future and many died to obtain it. Nor can you say that the civil war and stuff of today is any more deadly or hostile to the people than any other period in time. But one thing it has historically done is make for a heck of a juggernaut to push ones morality, ideas, religions, etc upon others as you flood their infa-structure and overwhelm them.
                  Because there weren't tons of refugees during and after WWII? Please.

Lots of people are fighting in Syria. Some are now fleeing for their lives because of it. Some are not able to fight. Most are caught in the crossfires between multiple groups at war with each other.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by DragonsFriend View Post
                  If it wasn't their decision and they hold no responsibility to try to change it then why is it my responsibility?

Did your country start the war? Was it your country's decision? When a country has an internal conflict what makes it the responsibility of the world to fix it?
                  My country did start a war. The rest of the world did fix it. We wouldn't be where we are today without the UK, Canada, and the US, and we DEFINITELY wouldn't be where we were if the Allies (especially the US) didn't help us rebuild afterwards.

Comment

Because there weren't tons of refugees during and after WWII? Please.

Lots of people are fighting in Syria. Some are now fleeing for their lives because of it. Some are not able to fight. Most are caught in the crossfires between multiple groups at war with each other.
                    Sure there were tons. Some displaced due to war, some displaced due to supporting the enemy, some displaced because other factors were driving them. even various groups battling for supremacy has not changed when you look at actual combatants, militants, freedom fighters, etc. It amazes me when people go on about the mid east yet we didn't see that much movement in the Balkins when it was the same type fighting going on and ethnic cleansing was also being enforced.

But then that is always the attitude of the fence straddler, don't want to choice a side but expect others to defend them or accept them when they flee. Then complain because someone else is in control and they did nothing to aide and support what they desired or stand against and fight against what they opposed.

Comment

Um, 2.7 million people (around half the country) fled Bosnia during the Bosnian conflict.

Comment

Um, 2.7 million people (around half the country) fled Bosnia during the Bosnian conflict.
                        Truthfully I do not recall how many people from the former Yugoslavia area fled but it was also a different type migration that I do recall. Yet it also fell heavily into the older tribal / clan influence in how they moved and where they moved to which might better reflect the make up of other areas more than Europe. Which also ties it back into the Austro-Hungary kingdom and even WWI I suppose if you look at old hatreds, revenge and such. In that regard not entirely different I suppose to the Armenian refugee situations of the 1920's time frame and such along with the great famine that hit the area which also tied into old hatreds, vengeance, etc.

But still different than the migration / refugee's coming from Iraq / Iran / Syria / Libya and other parts of Northern Africa. Regardless of the fact people like to make it an issue of skin color versus things going on.

Comment

Are we really victim blaming war refugees?

"Hey why didn't you keep your family in a place they could get bombed?"

Comment

Not really about this quote but to DanieMarie in general. You have such a good heart. I'm going to just lay it down. Americans pretty much don't give a shit about the rest of the world. You aren't going to reach us. You are going to drive yourself mad.

We keep telling the world this. And the world still thinks we are cool as the Fonz. :=I:
                            Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
                              Not really about this quote but to DanieMarie in general. You have such a good heart. I'm going to just lay it down. Americans pretty much don't give a shit about the rest of the world. You aren't going to reach us. You are going to drive yourself mad.

We keep telling the world this. And the world still thinks we are cool as the Fonz. :=I:
                              It seems to me that you're right, Medusa. The US meddles, the US backtracks and says 'It's nothing to do with us' in a sing-song voice.
                              www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

The US has taken in a lot of refugees in the past, though. During the Holocaust, the US was one of the few countries even willing to take in Jews from Europe (and as a result, you got people like Einstein). More recently in the Balkan conflict, the US and Germany accepted the largest bulk of refugees fleeing Bosnia and other Balkan states.

Comment

Working...
                                X