This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Rant Thread (v 1.2)

I live in a very nice neighborhood, but my school also caters to quite a few apartments and town houses in bad parts of town, and it irritates me how offensive some people from said areas can be. By offensive, I mean that there are a large number of people, from a wide variety of races, that casually use the B, F, Sh, N, and Fa words like expletives and slurs are paprika. Every. Single. Sentence. I have approximately zero tolerance for cursing in my vicinity (I suppose I'm old fashioned that way), so I get annoyed whenever someone says one of those words in my vicinity, and I tend to get very loud and angry when someone uses one to refer to me (though they presumably didn't mean it in an offensive manor). I have problems with loud sounds in general, and someone even speaking out of turn sometimes makes me deeply irritated or even angry, so this is probably some sort of extension of that, but still. It actually makes me tempted to get my metaphysical curse on, though I restrain myself. I like quiet, or structured music; and if that guy that sits behind me on the bus says the N word or the F word one more time, I am going to explode.

Comment

So last night, I decided to try something new and approached my folks about the idea of having them over next week for a dumb supper. Immediately, I was asked what it was, which I was expecting, so I gave them a rather watered down, generic response, stuff about how some cultures view this time to be the end of the year, and how it's a way to recognize and honor those who have passed, and blah blah blah. Almost immediately, I was told "Yeah, I don't think that would work" when I explained how the meal would be held in total silence and only in candlelight. I tried for a few minutes more to try to sell them on the idea, but the only response I got was "Well, it sounds nice, but I don't think it would go over". That may have been the words they used, but the tone sort of came out as "Great, our son has gone batshit crazy and is coming up with some pretty weird ideas."

It was sort of what I was expecting, but I wanted to give asking them about it a try anyway, since celebrating is much more fun when you can do it with your family and friends. Still, I can't help but feel disappointed and a little angry about it. This is the first time I've EVER tried to include them in something that I've wanted to do that was connected to my faith, in the twenty or so years since I moved away from Christianity and became Pagan. In that entire time, it's not been kept a secret that I have different beliefs then they do, but it's never been discussed. Not ONCE in that time have they ever shown an interest, curiosity, or something other than disdainful acceptance of my differences, and in this time that I've decided to make an effort not only to become more involved in my faith but to also want to include them, it's really started to bother me. The only family member who I feel would be all for it is my brother who lives about two hours away, but then again he's sort of a closet pagan anyway.

Why is it that it's perfectly okay for me to go along with it all every year, but when I want to try to start something new, and on a day that they don't see as a "real" holiday anyway, it's just brushed off? I'm doing it whether it's just going to be me or not, but still ...

Comment

My uncle has cancer... noone saw it coming, not even the doctors. He was just being checked for some issues breathing. Lymphoma and lung cancer so advanced there's no hope of fighting it... I was told this evening. Just hours after I'd talked to a friend about how nice it would be to have an uneventful life for a little while... I'm ok. I don't think it's really settled in yet. I'm worried about my cousin (his son. We have lost a lot of people to cancer, I know he's always been terrified when someone got sick. Now it's his dad)... but mostly I'm just angry at the world because REALLY. The guy survived a brain aneurism, woke up from a coma days before they took him off life support and fought so hard to regain control over his body he can now walk and talk despite actually being lame in one side of his body! And he has to die from cancer!? Not fair Aaaargh!
        It's just made worse by the fact that they might have discovered it in time if they hadn't just brushed his complaints off as effects of his brain damage.
        You remind me of the babe
        What babe?
        The babe with the power
        What power?
        The Power of voodoo
        Who do?
        You do!
        Do what?
        Remind me of the babe!

Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Comment

Originally posted by iris View Post
          My uncle has cancer... noone saw it coming, not even the doctors. He was just being checked for some issues breathing. Lymphoma and lung cancer so advanced there's no hope of fighting it... I was told this evening. Just hours after I'd talked to a friend about how nice it would be to have an uneventful life for a little while... I'm ok. I don't think it's really settled in yet. I'm worried about my cousin (his son. We have lost a lot of people to cancer, I know he's always been terrified when someone got sick. Now it's his dad)... but mostly I'm just angry at the world because REALLY. The guy survived a brain aneurism, woke up from a coma days before they took him off life support and fought so hard to regain control over his body he can now walk and talk despite actually being lame in one side of his body! And he has to die from cancer!? Not fair Aaaargh!
          It's just made worse by the fact that they might have discovered it in time if they hadn't just brushed his complaints off as effects of his brain damage.
          I'm so sorry, Iris, that's so horrible... There isn't any kind of experimental treatment or something they could try? He sounds like a fighter.

Comment

Oh Iris I am so sorry to hear that! *hug*
            ~Rudyard Kipling, The Cat Who Walks By Himself

Comment

I'm sorry about what's happened, Iris. If there's anything I can do to help, just let me know.

Comment

Sorry, Iris. That sucks.
                sigpic
                Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

I'm so sorry, Iris. Life can is unfair in most of the time. If I can somehow help, I will. -hugs-
                  "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Thank you guys. No, the doctors say they may prolong his life a little, but it's too far progressed for any actual treatment to work. But right now we don't know if we're looking at days or months.
                    What babe?
                    The babe with the power
                    What power?
                    The Power of voodoo
                    Who do?
                    You do!
                    Do what?
                    Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Really sorry to hear that, iris

Comment

Sorry to hear this Iris,one thing is make his last days as happy for him as you can... a tough thing to do,but it will mean a LOT to him I assure you.
                        MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                        NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                        don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                        http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                          Sorry to hear this Iris,one thing is make his last days as happy for him as you can... a tough thing to do,but it will mean a LOT to him I assure you.
                          I'll do my best. But it's complicated. He's my mother's brother. I haven't seen my mother since the wedding, and after a new round of drama she tried to start over the phone I blocked her, so I haven't talked to her either. I intend to keep it that way. But my uncle doesn't know any of what's going on, I don't think he should either... I just don't really know how to keep it from him if I see him.
                          What babe?
                          The babe with the power
                          What power?
                          The Power of voodoo
                          Who do?
                          You do!
                          Do what?
                          Remind me of the babe!

Comment

I'll do my best. But it's complicated. He's my mother's brother. I haven't seen my mother since the wedding, and after a new round of drama she tried to start over the phone I blocked her, so I haven't talked to her either. I intend to keep it that way. But my uncle doesn't know any of what's going on, I don't think he should either... I just don't really know how to keep it from him if I see him.
                            The truth can't be hidden but you can try to avoid the subject as much as possible and hope he won't find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I second Anu's opinion.
                            "Fair means that everybody gets what they need. And the only way to get that is to make it happen yourself."

Since I adore cats, I might write something strange or unusual in my comment.Cats are awesome!!! ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by Gleb View Post
                              The truth can't be hidden but you can try to avoid the subject as much as possible and hope he won't find out.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I second Anu's opinion.
                              His wife knows about mom, but he doesn't. The aneurism affected his ability to cope with strong emotion. So I just thought I'd keep my distance for a while, that wouldn't be weird as I don't see them much anyway and he knows I struggle with anxiety. But then suddenly the time isn't there, I can't just visit them next summer 'cause he might not be there... but I can't cope with seeing my mom right now. I know she won't say anything to him because she is desperate to keep a perfect facade. I don't want to cause him pain. Not now... sorry guys. I just need to vent. There's a lot inside my head right now... and yes, anu is old and wise. I've been through the drill of people dying from cancer enough to know he's right. I just can't be near my mom. I finally broke free, I can't start over on that -.-
                              What babe?
                              The babe with the power
                              What power?
                              The Power of voodoo
                              Who do?
                              You do!
                              Do what?
                              Remind me of the babe!

Comment

Crowds

Today I was taking the train to the library and that train was crowded as heck. I was waiting for the next train but it took 30 minutes to get there. I was so frustrated about the whole crowd control situation so I went on to that train instead. I guess it was one of those crowded days.

Comment

Working...
                                X