The word "Bae"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word "Bae"

I keep seeing on social media that a lot of people out there in the world seem to have incredibly strong feelings about this word. I don't think I get it, but it's okay with me, I just like words and the way they develop.

How do you feel about "bae"?
    I call people bae all the time, what's the big deal?
    0%
    I know this word and loathe it!
    0%
    I know this word and am ambivalent towards it.
    0%
    I don't know this word, educate me.
    0%
    I don't know this word, but I hate it on principle.
    0%
    I don't know this word and I don't care either.
    0%

Re: The word "Bae"

Seeing or hearing this word makes me violently irritated.
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

lol: http://www.theatlantic.com/entertain...of-bae/384086/
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

This too shall pass.

And all will be groovy once again!
        sigpic
        Can you hear me, Major Tom? I think I love you.

Comment

as a person who is over 30, I hate all the slang that young people use.

Comment

I don't know this word, or what it means, but, if it ever becomes useful in some rhetorical context, I'll prolly use it.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, just read the Atlantic article on "bae," and now feel fully informed...

...and hip as hell.
            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Never saw it before today, will probably forget it in a week. Not intending to mourn its loss.
              life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

The only time I'd use the word is if I wanted to make a bad joke or be ridiculous.

Comment

Funny they said the same thing about "Hippy" slang,like groovy and Trippy.
                  MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                  NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                  don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                  http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

I think it also means "poop" in Danish. Not quite the term of endearment folks like to think it is.

Comment

I like it. I think I'll call my lover Bae when and if I want to. Despite people's feelings about it meaning poop in danish. Considering I'm speaking english then I should be just fine.
                      "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Goodness, I'm a teenager and I don't know this word. I feel out of date.

Comment

I have come across this word before. As someone objectively interested in language, a minor amateur linguist, I don't really hate the word as much as those who use it. On an aside

Katy Steinmetz in Time aptly mentioned another, more likely origin story earlier this yearone that also accounts for the uncommon a-e pairingthat bae is simply a shortened version of babe (or baby, or beau). "Slangsters do love to embrace the dropped-letter versions of words," she wrote, noting that in some circles cool has become coo, crazy cray, et cetera.

Did anyone else think this was obvious?
                          I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                          Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                          But that day you know I left my money
                          And I thought of you only
                          All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                            Seeing or hearing this word makes me violently irritated.
                            My feelings exactly.

Check out my blog! The Daily Satanist

Comment

I use Bae with my mates but when we use it it generally means 'good guy' ('guy' itself being a neutral-sex term), like "oh man you bae, that's awesome". Our videogame esports team is even called the UEbAes (a play on UEA, our Uni). I don't really get why it's a bad thing?
                              Last edited by Mootipi; 18 Nov 2015, 01:12. Reason: ...

Go Go Origen!

I'm always looking for new and cool book and food recommendations, feel free to message me ;P

Comment

Working...
                              X