The word "Bae"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The word "Bae"

How's that even pronounced? "Bay"? "Ba-eh"?
    baah.

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
      Did anyone else think this was obvious?
      Yeah, that's where I thought it came from. My daughter (who is 8) uses cray-cray all the time for crazy (her peers double anything where they drop the letter).
      Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
      sigpic

Comment

It's pronounced as "Bay"
        "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
          It's pronounced as "Bay"
          Ah, okay. Thanks. The ae is a bit confusing.
          baah.

Comment

Yeah, an "-ae" would usually be a substitute for an umlaut sound from German or the Nordic languages.

The reason for it here is that besides being a shortened form of the word "baby", bae is supposed to be an acronym for "[person who I put] Before Anything and Everything."

I was just curious to get a bunch of responses at once, which is harder to do on facebook.

For me personally, I don't know that I could get into using it, but I am alright with the fluidity of language. I am 38, so I when I see friends my age hating on it, I kind of feel like they are becoming old farts!

Comment

I have a 17 year old daughter at home..I long ago learned to tune out teenage slang in self-defense.

Comment

To be fair that stuff yall used to say in the seventies isn't much better.

Comment

I call my dog 'beau'.

Its just a word, guys.

Mostly art.

Comment

Heh, "just a word"
                    Includes a stunning monologue on language by Stephen Fry... From the TV show "A Little Bit of Fry and Laurie" broadcast in 1989 and now available on iTunes.

Words have power, and music, and importance. Language is the breath of the Gods!

"Beau" actually makes sense. It means 'beautiful' in french and was used in english for one's crush, I believe. However 'bae' is just silly. The contraction from 'baby' is already lazy (does a two-syllable word really need to be shortened? REALLY?); add to that the fact that it sounds bad as well... "bae bae"... I don't know, it's not a cute word for me. At worst it's someone expressing disgust ('Bae! That's gross!), at best it's a baby gurgling (in which case it sucks as a term of endearment). Also, it does mean poop in danish. Which doesn't really help.
                    "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Language is ever evolving and fluid, bae.

Comment

Originally posted by ThePaganMafia View Post
                        Language is ever evolving and fluid, bae.
                        With perhaps the exception of Icelandic. If I remember correctly, I had read something that stated that it hasn't really changed for over 2000 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Munin-Hugin View Post
                          With perhaps the exception of Icelandic. If I remember correctly, I had read something that stated that it hasn't really changed for over 2000 years.
                          Was that due to isolation?
                          Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                            Was that due to isolation?
                            From what I understand Icelandic is one of the most conservative examples of language evolution (as is language the Faroe Islands, German among Mennonite communitites, among others). Also, the pronunciation of the spoken language has changed quite a bit, even though the written language has remained relatively stable (which

The rate of change has historically been much slower than for other languages. The reasons for Icelandic being slow to change seems to be a relative lack of immigration, a relatively low number of speakers, lack of contact with other languages, stability of lifestyle, a high rate of literacy and a cultural emphasis on reading and reciting (the practice of kvoldvaka), a high rate of internal mobility (no truly isolated populations), late urbanization, and a more recent tradition of "purifying" the language and of "language councils" (which have government support) which have two roles---preserving the existing language, but also updating it for new technology and replacing loanwords. So change in the Icelandic language (which does occur) comes from the (often planned) recycling of old words for neologisms and for the replacement loanwords, while stability is enforced from the repression of borrowing and natural changes.
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X