Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: employment and ethics

Originally posted by kalynraye View Post
    To say I would never take a job that I don't agree with ethically would be a lie because if I was jobless and needed money I would work almost anywhere. That doesnt mean I would be proud of myself but I've been broke, I've been very broke and I'm not going to allow my family to suffer.

This is pretty much my philosophy too...sure, I'd be looking for something else in the mean time, but feeding my kids is more important than my pride AND my morals.

<--got a job offer from Monsanto, and would have taken it, if the hubby hadn't gotten a job back in VA....at the time there were almost NO jobs back home that weren't minimum wage
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

I'm more interested in how a place is managed.

If it is well managed, most of my ethical concerns are taken care of, and whatever job I've been hired to do will be soooooo much easier.

If it is poorly managed, then ethics problems will be everywhere in the workplace, and my job will be mostly kissing up.
      Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

In theory, no. I really don't want to do anything that supports things I don't agree with.

In practice, I'm not really sure. Finances always get in the way. I hate that. There's so much talk about how much freedom we have, but how can we have true freedom when finances prevent us from supporting our own values?

That being said, this is a big reason I ended up freelancing. I just really didn't want to work for a company I wasn't enthusiastic about, let alone agree with, and I'm not really enthusiastic about many companies out there. I studied marketing only to find that I really didn't want to sell things to people that they didn't need for a living, which was kind of a problem. As a freelancer, I've been lucky so far, but I don't really know what I'd do if I got an offer for work that I didn't agree with and I was really short on money. I'd probably take it just to be able to buy food.

Comment

Working...
        X