Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Juvenile offenders & life sentances

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I still say that the child should get a life sentence. If doesn't matter if the child doesn't understand it. Murder is still murder.
    It isn't legally defined as murder, though, is my point. An adult that kills another adult by accident is (usually) tried for manslaughter. The charge of murder requires intent. A child who doesn't have the mental capacity to understand that they're doing someone to end a life should not, and cannot, under those terms, be tried for murder. Could you push for manslaughter? Perhaps, but what good would putting a very young child in prison do, when rehabilitation is far more likely to work with such a young mind?
    Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Thank you Maskedone for the article. While I don't agree that a child at the age of three shouldn't be charged for a crime, I really think that the law should be change in my opinion.

- - - Updated - - -

Just because the child kills another person doesn't mean he should get special treatment. What if the child start killing multiple people. There's always an intent that the child will do. And that's called a mass murderer.

Comment

I still say that the child should get a life sentence. If doesn't matter if the child doesn't understand it. Murder is still murder.
        No, legally, philosophically, morally and just about every other context you care to name, it isn't. Or more accurately, murder may still be murder but murder is

1: the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought

and not all killing is considered murder. This distinction is rather important because if all killing does equal murder then justified homicide ceases to exist. IE, you kill someone to prevent them from murdering your friend, awesome but legally you've done murder. Welcome to an 8x10 cell.

and at this point, I should introduce you to Mens Rea aka criminal intent since it's a rather core legal philosophy and the reason you will never see a civilization worthy of the name prosecute a three year old. Outside of "Strict Liability" issues, criminal law requires both a physical and mental component when judging guilt. The why is as important as the what.
        Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

John Rowlands, The Grey King by Susan Cooper

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Aslan, Prince Caspian by CS Lewis

Comment

Just because the child kills another person doesn't mean he should get special treatment. What if the child start killing multiple people. There's always an intent that the child will do. And that's called a mass murderer.
          Please cite the claim that a child has the intent to commit mass murder if they have killed one person, especially if it's by an accident or without the capacity to understand that a crime was even committed.

ETA: To add to MO's statement, a juvenile offender can never be sentenced to death, and life without parole can only be used on a juvenile offender with the charge of homicide.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

What if the child kills another child? Does the victim parents wants justice? Absolutely. Does the murderer needs to be sentence to life? Yes I believe the child deserve to be sentence to life. Once a murderer, always a murderer.

Comment

What if the child kills another child? Does the victim parents wants justice? Absolutely. Does the murderer needs to be sentence to life? Yes I believe the child deserve to be sentence to life. Once a murderer, always a murderer.
              That didn't answer my question, though, and you're avoiding the point that a child who accidentally kills another, or an adult, isn't committing murder. Murder requires the intent to take a life. Using a real gun for a pretend game isn't the same as willfully picking up a gun and shooting someone with the intent to kill them.

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

see re-worded version below

-Masked
                Last edited by MaskedOne; 08 Dec 2015, 22:31.
                Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

There is no justice in punishing a three year old for an action that they aren't capable of understanding. There's only vengeance and being the judgemental bastard that I am, my feelings on a parent trying to demand vengeance against a three year old is that they can f*** off. I have neither need nor inclination to cater to them. Replace the three year old with a ten year old and we can possibly talk but at three...

Not a chance in hell.

Medusa, another direct crack on a poster's intelligence in this thread and I'll evict you from the thread.
                  Life itself was a lightsaber in his hands; even in the face of treachery and death and hopes gone cold, he burned like a candle in the darkness. Like a star shining in the black eternity of space.

"But those men who know anything at all about the Light also know that there is a fierceness to its power, like the bare sword of the law, or the white burning of the sun." Suddenly his voice sounded to Will very strong, and very Welsh. "At the very heart, that is. Other things, like humanity, and mercy, and charity, that most good men hold more precious than all else, they do not come first for the Light. Oh, sometimes they are there; often, indeed. But in the very long run the concern of you people is with the absolute good, ahead of all else..."

"You come from the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve", said Aslan. "And that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor on earth; be content."

Comment

Eh I'll re word it. i didn't even realize.

Bart, I don't think you have experience with toddlers to know what they are capable of. At the age of three they need help just going number two.
                    Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

works, the original post is now a "see version 2 further down".

Comment

Well, I am opposed to life sentences and death sentences. The former is a drain on society which doesn't achieve anything different from exile, especially if there is no parole, they will just get hopeless and violent in prison, more so than if they were helped. The latter, there is far too high a risk of executing an innocent person, and that is never acceptable. Ever.

But then again I'm British and ergo a poncey pinko lefty.
                        I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
                        Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
                        But that day you know I left my money
                        And I thought of you only
                        All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by MaskedOne View Post
                          Replace the three year old with a ten year old and we can possibly talk but at three...
                          Even at 10, the capacity to actually understand long-term consequences of actions is extremely limited.

ETA: But on the subject of toddlers and guns: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...sis-this-year/
                          Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                            Sociopaths are rarely created (as in, becoming a sociopath), but are largely genetic. Environment can bring out out the symptoms young, and can occasionally cause the condition, but it's much rarer (75% genetic vs 25% created). Regardless, if a child is fully aware and intentional, that's another story entirely. But then it becomes a matter of "is this child treatable? Can they be rehabilitated before they're an adult?".
                            Neither "sociopath" nor "psychopath" are actual clinical diagnosis. Both are clinically diagnosed as "anti-social personality disorder."

In popular usage (which is the only place the words have meaning) a sociopath is a non-violent psychopath, while a psychopath is a violent sociopath.

Both are the result of either genetic brain structure, or some form of brain trauma, and that brain trauma can be the result of extreme abuse in childhood during brain formation - even abuse that does not directly, physically damage the brain (which, by the way, means that you can't count on the parents/caregivers identifying traits).

If it is curable, the cure (with present technology) must be done before the brain stops developing.

When not curable, it possible to mitigate the effects either via environment, or via training. Not all people with the identified brain abnormalities are easily identified as socio/psychopath - the distinction is usually made between successful and non-successful, the successful ones leading pretty normal lives, the non-successful ones are generally the ones who end up in treatment or prison.

At any rate - early diagnosis and treatment is best scenario - the later in life it is diagnosed, the more difficult it becomes to treat.
                            Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
                              At any rate - early diagnosis and treatment is best scenario - the later in life it is diagnosed, the more difficult it becomes to treat.
                              I think we are finding though, that there is more neuroplasticity than we previously thought, even into adulthood (better sauce)...its just that we have to have the will to invest in helping these people, and most people don't even think of them as actual people, but as something less-than.
                              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                I think we are finding though, that there is more neuroplasticity than we previously thought, even into adulthood (better sauce)...its just that we have to have the will to invest in helping these people, and most people don't even think of them as actual people, but as something less-than.
                                LOL - yeah, that's why I had to write with so many qualifiers.

There is a similar situation with pedophiles. There may be options for treatment of preferential pedophiles, but finding them will require understanding the difference between a mental illness, and a person deserving mutilation for his/her choices.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X