Opinion Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Opinion Debate

Nowadays it seems that opinions are taken more as a part of a personality so whenever you "attack" someone's opinion they take it as a personal assault.
    Yes, people often identify strongly with their opinions, and take it as a personal insult if you disagree with them. And the same with beliefs. I increasingly feel that opinions and beliefs are more trouble than they're worth....that's just my opinion of course.
    Once a man, like the sea I raged;
    Once a woman, like the earth I gave;
    And there is in fact more earth than sea.
    Genesis lyric

Comment

I think people take OTHER people's opinions too seriously.
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

Originally posted by Briton View Post
        I think people take OTHER people's opinions too seriously.
        That too. On the other hand it seems that we do like other people to have an opinion, it makes us feel we understand them better.
        Genesis lyric

Comment

You can say what you like - provided it is legal.
          In turn, so can I. Or, alternatively, I can play the bagpipes at you. As was done here: https://youtu.be/JwLaDzKFiBY

But do not - DO NOT - say your piece and then run away crying because people do the same back to you.
          www.thewolfenhowlepress.com

Phantom Turnips never die.... they just get stewed occasionally....

Comment

^ bring on the bagpipes!!

I usually have at least two opinions, the official and the personal, it depends so much on the context. It does give me some perspective sometimes and at least I can't take all my *** too seriously because some part of me disagrees. :P No wonder I suck at debates.
            But at the same time I don't really understand people who smear their opinions on others' faces. That's not necessary and quite often it doesn't even work. And it's often brought up in a situation where it's not even relevant. But if having an opinion gives a person some sense of power and purpose, who am I to judge?
            baah.

Comment

...it depends so much on the context.
              I find the opinions I express are often aimed at restoring balance in a debate, particularly when I think simplistic or extreme views are being expressed by one side or the other. So the views I express are very much context dependent, and can be quite changeable at times.
              Genesis lyric

Comment

Agree with the above in the context of a debate.
                And as for people taking opinions too seriously (just to digress a moment), I don'y like the idea of opinions being "offensive" ; an opinion might be ridiculous, make no sense, hateful, misinformed, not based on any true verified fact and so on; for example our very own Marine "Eva Braun" Le Pen's opinions won't offend me. And even an embarassing ludicrous monstrosity like her is entitled to one, and to voicing it (which she does loudly and frequently, to everyone's dismay). But again, not without questioning, not without the rest of the world at the same time being absolutely entitled to respond with facts and counter-arguments.

I think the problem is separating the debate of ideas and the debate of feelings; and the word "opinion" does a poor job of discerning between the two.
                "The idea is to be whispering, and not to gain the attention from the flock, but to get attention from the individuals. That's why I relate it to whispering. It's not something you can put on a big scale; you can't get sheep to attend to it. You need to have people who can stand for themselves. It is important to have a lot of space for yourself to be able to grow strong branches, which can stand in the most extreme surroundings."

Gaahl

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                  You can say what you like - provided it is legal.
                  In turn, so can I. Or, alternatively, I can play the bagpipes at you. As was done here: https://youtu.be/JwLaDzKFiBY
                  Oh please, Mrs. P, not the bagpipes. It's the saddest instrument in the world. Just seeing the bagpipers at my grandfather's funeral, even before hearing them, set me off. "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes is the most depressing song ever.
                  Army of Darkness: Guardians of the Chat

Honorary Nord.

Habbalah Vlogs

Comment

Originally posted by Kviskrar View Post
                    Agree with the above in the context of a debate.
                    And as for people taking opinions too seriously (just to digress a moment), I don'y like the idea of opinions being "offensive" ; an opinion might be ridiculous, make no sense, hateful, misinformed, not based on any true verified fact and so on; for example our very own Marine "Eva Braun" Le Pen's opinions won't offend me. And even an embarassing ludicrous monstrosity like her is entitled to one, and to voicing it (which she does loudly and frequently, to everyone's dismay). But again, not without questioning, not without the rest of the world at the same time being absolutely entitled to respond with facts and counter-arguments.

I think the problem is separating the debate of ideas and the debate of feelings; and the word "opinion" does a poor job of discerning between the two.
                    It is possible to state an opinion in an offensive way (sometimes intentionally, sometimes by mistake), then get all bent because of the natural reaction. This reaction isn't caused by the opinion itself, but by the way it is stated, although sometimes people have a problem seeing the difference.

When done accidentally, it is an error in comminucations.

When done intentionally, it is a cheap, cheesy, snotty, and nasty trick deserving of a smack-down.
                    Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Kviskrar View Post
                      It's tricky though, it seems like we can invest quite a lot of emotion in the ideas and beliefs we have. We can get quite sensitive when our ideas about religion and politics are challenged for example.
                      Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by habbalah View Post
                        Oh please, Mrs. P, not the bagpipes. It's the saddest instrument in the world. Just seeing the bagpipers at my grandfather's funeral, even before hearing them, set me off. "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipes is the most depressing song ever.
                        I love the pipes. And the link I gave is really brilliant if you haven't already seen it!

Comment

As I read the Irish said,we gave the bagpipes to the scotch as a joke,but they never got the joke!!!
                          MAGIC is MAGIC,black OR white or even blood RED

all i ever wanted was a normal life and love.
                          NO TERF EVER WE belong Too.
                          don't stop the tears.let them flood your soul.

sigpic

my new page here,let me know what you think.

nothing but the shadow of what was

witchvox
                          http://www.witchvox.com/vu/vxposts.html

Comment

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
                            As I read the Irish said,we gave the bagpipes to the scotch as a joke,but they never got the joke!!!
                            The Scots aren't renowned for their sense of humour though.
                            Genesis lyric

Comment

Originally posted by Porpoise View Post
                              The Scots aren't renowned for their sense of humour though.
                              ???Billy Connolly?
                              Best of all though... Rab C. Nesbitt? (mind you, I do need the subtitles for that one.)

Comment

Originally posted by Tylluan Penry View Post
                                ???Billy Connolly?
                                Best of all though... Rab C. Nesbitt? (mind you, I do need the subtitles for that one.)
                                I think my favourite is Father Ted.
                                Father Jack has become very attached to his pet brick. Subscribe for more: http://bit.ly/hattricksubLife is hard for Father Ted. Banished to windswept Craggy...
                                Genesis lyric

Comment

Working...
                                X