• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bartmanhomer
    replied
    Re: Sociopaths: Can They Be Cured

Originally posted by anunitu View Post
    Generally a sociopath may be that way because of a defective brain(Damaged or non functioning part) Being a physical problem,it may not be possible to alter the behavior.
    They may not have ANY empathy or compassion in any form.

Sauce
    Maybe they're not putting enough effort to alter their behavior. At least they're trying to change their behavior.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
    I fail to see how that would make him learn his "lesson" or to think differently. Personality disorders are pretty maladaptive.
    That was pretty much the point.

He was the same person, just unable to act.

(It was a novel before it was a movie. Kubrick is a genius, but not good at following the book. The book fills in all the loose ends in the movie.)

Leave a comment:

• R. Eugene Laughlin
    replied

Originally posted by EndlessCravings View Post
    I fail to see how that would make him learn his "lesson" or to think differently. Personality disorders are pretty maladaptive.
    It's not expected to fix what's wrong with them. It's intended to suppress the behavior.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
    They made him nauseous with drugs administered at the beginning of the screening, rather than shocks. The film depicts a real treatment approach that was originally developed to "cure" homosexuality in the 1930s. Nauseating drugs were abandoned and attitudes about less common, benign sexuality changed, but aversion therapy is still sometimes tried to treat criminal sexual behavior. Now they use unpleasant odors, like ammonia in a basic classical conditioning (Pavlov's Dog) paradigm. Results are spotty at best.
    Ah, I've never seen that movie before, I've heard references many times but it never really rung a bell until now.

- - - Updated - - -

Movie where a sociopath is subjected to images an if he reacts positively to violent images,he gets a strong shock to make violence make him very sick as a reaction.

About the Movie.

Guy being subjected to "Therapy"

Leave a comment:

• R. Eugene Laughlin
    replied

Movie where a sociopath is subjected to images an if he reacts positively to violent images,he gets a strong shock to make violence make him very sick as a reaction.
    They made him nauseous with drugs administered at the beginning of the screening, rather than shocks. The film depicts a real treatment approach that was originally developed to "cure" homosexuality in the 1930s. Nauseating drugs were abandoned and attitudes about less common, benign sexuality changed, but aversion therapy is still sometimes tried to treat criminal sexual behavior. Now they use unpleasant odors, like ammonia in a basic classical conditioning (Pavlov's Dog) paradigm. Results are spotty at best.

Leave a comment:

• anunitu
    replied

About the Movie.

Guy being subjected to "Therapy"

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by B. de Corbin View Post
    Clockwork Orange.
    I'm missing some reference aren't I?

Never mind.

Leave a comment:

• DragonsFriend
    replied

It will be cured when we find a way to increase the size of the hypothalamus and make the "normal" connections to the rest of the brain that are lacking in sociopaths. when we do that we will need to find someone else to sell used cars though.

Leave a comment:

• Gleb
    replied

Generally speaking, I think it CAN be cured. Can it be cured today? I don't know... Perhaps in the future, one day.

Leave a comment:

• B. de Corbin
    replied

Clockwork Orange.

Leave a comment:

• Spiny Norman
    replied

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    EndlessCraving have requested me to do a debate on Sociopaths. Can they be cured?
    I'm not aware of a cure. Possibly they can be managed.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    I dunno. Let's let one go and see what happens.
    I found that quite cute.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by R. Eugene Laughlin View Post
    The psychiatric industry has, with exceedingly rare exception, given up on the idea of cures. The focus these days is on managing symptoms as well as possible. Most psychiatric issues relate to self-identified problems of an individual: a person is having trouble with thoughts, feelings, motivation, etc., and it interferes with their goals and plans, day-to-day function, etc. Such persons are troubled by what's going on with them.

Persons who are classified as having sociopathic personality, and indeed most of what are traditionally classified as "personality disorders," are generally not troubled by their personality traits. It's the people around them who are troubled. That makes even symptomatic management an exceptionally difficult proposition.

I have ASPD and I used to be really, really horrible. Not sure what to say but found your post pretty informative.

Leave a comment:

• R. Eugene Laughlin
    replied

The psychiatric industry has, with exceedingly rare exception, given up on the idea of cures. The focus these days is on managing symptoms as well as possible. Most psychiatric issues relate to self-identified problems of an individual: a person is having trouble with thoughts, feelings, motivation, etc., and it interferes with their goals and plans, day-to-day function, etc. Such persons are troubled by what's going on with them.

Persons who are classified as having sociopathic personality, and indeed most of what are traditionally classified as "personality disorders," are generally not troubled by their personality traits. It's the people around them who are troubled. That makes even symptomatic management an exceptionally difficult proposition.

Leave a comment:

• Medusa
    replied

I dunno. Let's let one go and see what happens.

Leave a comment:

• EndlessCravings
    replied

Originally posted by Herbert View Post
    Even if it could be cured, should it be cured? While it is certainly a detriment in modern society, should you really muck around with people's personalities like that, especially if it's a reasonably manageable case?

Beyond that, it's a chemical/wiring whosiwhatsit, involving the most complex part of the human body. We might be able to cure it in a few decades, but certainly not now (and it will likely be a very expensive sort of curing, if/when it does occur).
    Some people with ASPD are not too fond of being like that. Usually though, the people with ASPD that are low functioning..and sometimes high-functioning end up in prison.

- - - Updated - - -

An interesting thing I learned being around some people with PTSD,it seems that the damage is not completely mental,but real physical changes are etched into the brain,so it is not just memory of violent action,but physical change of the brain,why it is so hard to treat.
    Yep. I mean, talking to therapists is one thing, but there being a cure? I'm not too sure of. Talking to therapists can help you blend in with society, but even then that'll only be used for some type of gain.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X