Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tomato: Fruit Or Vegetable

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
    Lol. All us Mexicans are crazy peeps. We are raised as children to have sweet things with chilies. Fruit with chili powder. Tamarindo with chili. Hell there is an ice cream flavor pepin con chili! Cucumber and chili. We even eat those awesome lolipops of mango flavor covered in chili powder.

omg my mouth is watering!
    Mmhm. Walked into the back room to see my co-worker eating oranges with chili powder. All she said was "I'm Mexican" Whateverrrrr
    "Turn, and look in the mirror. What do you see?" Her own brown eyes stared back at her until she was nothing but a blur.

"I see you. Red lipstick spread perfectly over your lush mouth, brown eyes that hold centuries upon centuries of secrets. A face made to entice even the most celibate of men and women alike. A red dress that sways and moves with your body, making you a temptation like no other."

Comment

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
      I still don't see how a tomato is really a fruit. I just can't.
      Have you been ignoring the swathes of us who have been explaining that a fruit has a botanical definition?
      I'm not one to ever pray for mercy
      Or to wish on pennies in the fountain or the shrine
      But that day you know I left my money
      And I thought of you only
      All that copper glowing fine

Comment

A lot of plant-based foods we use as veggies are actually fruits. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, cucumbers, zucchinis, etc...all fruits. They're used as veggies in the kitchen, though, hence the term "culinary vegetable," which describes foods that are used as vegetables in cooking. "Fruit" and "vegetable" don't describe sweet and savory foods; they describe parts of plants. Fruits come from flowers and contain seeds. Any basic gardening book will tell you that. Tomatoes, peppers, and their like come from nightshade plants. The plant flowers, the flowers are fertilized, and they mature into fruits. Potatoes and tobacco also come from plants in the nightshade family, but are NOT fruits, as they come from the tubers and leaves (respectively) of their plants. Potato plants actually do produce fruits that look like hard, green cherry tomatoes, but you can't eat them.

But seriously, why is this thread five pages long? It's not a matter of opinion...it's a fact. Call them what you want, but factually, tomatoes, peppers, etc are fruits.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
        I got real solid proof that a tomato is really a vegetable. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomato
        Even though Wikipedia isn't the world's most reliable source, this is the FIRST SENTENCE of the link that you posted: "The tomato (see pronunciation) is the edible, often red berry-type fruit of the nightshade Solanum lycopersicum,[1][2] commonly known as a tomato plant."

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
          Not a fruit salad, but salsa with pineapples, peaches, or mangos is delicious.
          At first I was like "wut?", but then I saw some pictures and it seems delicious, indeed! I'll try it someday.

Comment

Salsa with sweet fruits is great with fish!

Comment

Stop with your science ladies! My food world is turned upside down! Jalapenos? Are chilies berries?
              Yup. And so are eggplants, zucchinis, watermelons, citrus fruits*, and bananas

Not a berry: strawberry, blackberry, raspberr, mulberry, etc (aggregate fruits)

Still a berry: blueberries

(A berry is a fleshy fruit formed from a single ovary)

*oranges, etc are a specific type of berry characterized by a thick rind and septae (segments), plus are super juicy rather than fleshy called a hesperidium
              Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
              sigpic

Comment

Lol. All us Mexicans are crazy peeps. We are raised as children to have sweet things with chilies. Fruit with chili powder. Tamarindo with chili. Hell there is an ice cream flavor pepin con chili! Cucumber and chili. We even eat those awesome lolipops of mango flavor covered in chili powder.
                Not just you. Chocolate bars flavoured with chili are popular in Britain: the first firm to market them was actually inspired by Mexico.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	l-100g-Chilli.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	353234

Comment

Working...
                X