X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Whats everyone reading now or read lately

Sixth Extinction

(so good!!!)
    Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
    sigpic

Comment

Dark Witch​ by Nora Roberts. I always feel like I'm in Ireland when I read her books.

Comment

Finally finished Stephen King's 'Cell'. Amazing! Such an interesting take on 'zombies'. King just takes the genre and adds in some technophobia or Luddite lore. I spent the last 2 hours in bed in the dark listening to the end. And I know it's a good audiobook when I end up crying into my blanket again. I don't know why I ever doubted King could do a zombie book so well.

So what's next? I'm going with Jonathan Maberry *he did the Joe Ledger series I love love love!* and starting on another series called 'Ghost Road Blues'

(this doesn't help my anti social behavior one bit!)
        2014 audiobook list
        Satan is my spirit animal

Comment

So I ended up listening to an audiobook called The Rising by Brian Keene. I have very mixed reviews on this. It's a zombie story with a good twist on the origin. It had potential. It was as if George Romero wrote a zombie book. It's gory. Fun gore. But all the characters were written flat and to stereotype. There was no emotional pull. There was nothing deep to it. Thankfully it was a quick listen. Only a bit over 9 hours.

But the worst part? The narrator. He sucked so badly. First he sounded as if he were reading constant tag lines from movie trailers. Every single sentence had to sound important. And every single sentenced ended in an uptone that drove me nuts. As if they were actors on stage brand new to the game. So they must enunciate each words and shout out loud to the audience with stiff stance. Oh and stereotyping? The 'black' drug addict girl had to sound like she was straight from the ghetto. And the black preacher sounded like he was a saint with a low voice. I was sure he would burst out in Sweet Chariot any minute. All the demons sounded like cronies from Fright Night or Evil Dead. And the military men? They all sounded like idiots. It was a strain to hear the narrator try to differentiate characters to the extreme. It was fucking horrid.

I won't even go to the next book in the series.

So to get back into some character study I've gone back in time. Now going to listen to Interview with the Vampire. They better not f this up. Or I'm going to cry into my Jack Skellington blankee.

Comment

Well I finished The Monuments Men. It was a great book. I am now starting on Berlin 1961.
            Anubisa

Dedicated and devoted to Lord Anubis and Lady Bast. A follower of the path of Egyptian Wicca.

Comment

Feast of Crows 3 books down, 2 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                Ooh I can't wait to get back into thr GOT series, I never finished. Currently though, I have to finish American Gods by Neil Gaiman first. I was rereading Sophie's World (a personal favorite) but I lent it out again.

Comment

Audio book of Blind Man's Bluff: The Untold Story of American Submarine Espionage Probably wouldn't be of interest to a lot of people but I rode subs so found it an interesting read (listen).

I'm Only Responsible For What I Say Not For What Or How You Understand!

Comment

I swore I wouldn't go back to Brian Keene after reading that campy novel The Rising. Come to find I just accepted the narrator made it campy and I sorta liked it. So then I had to pick up the sequel Dead City because The Rising ended on a cliffhanger. Well thankfully I actually stuck with the sequel. It was so awesome! I wish there were more of these characters. And I bid them a fond farewell.

In the meantime between choosing another book, I'm listening to Fangora's Dread Time Vol 1. Short made for radio short stories. It's a quick listen and fun. And it's narrated by Malcom McDowell. The actors are pretty good in this and I feel like I'm watching a movie. I haven't decided what to read next yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ljubezen View Post
                      I'm on Dance with Dragons right now. Who makes a book 1100 pages? I've been reading it foreeeeeever.

Mostly art.

Comment

I have GoT on my audiobook list. My friend listened to it and wants to re-listen. But it's extremely long. So that's on the back burner until I do some sort of long hibernation stint I suppose.

Ok. So I'm still on my Jonathan Maberry fan girl stint since reading Patient Zero. I found all his other books. But I'm waiting for book 2 and I'm next on the waiting list. In the meantime I did find 3 short stories (about 45 minutes each) to tide me over tonight.

~Countdown (the prequel to Patient Zero)
                        ~Zero Tolerance (the addendum to Patient Zero)
                        ~Deep, Dark (the prequel to Dragon Factory. Book 2 of the Joe Ledger series) So hopefully I'll be up to date and ready to go.

Comment

Just started Dragon Keeper! I have four of Hobb's books from the chronicles before the new trilogy comes out in August, the one I am DYING for!

Comment

Two of the sexiest brains in modern science: Neil and Stephen
                            Wonderful Life: The Burgess Shale and the Nature of HistoryPagan Devotionals, because the wind and the rain is our Bible
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by volcaniclastic View Post
                              I'm on Dance with Dragons right now. Who makes a book 1100 pages? I've been reading it foreeeeeever.
                              haha At least I'm not alone in that. It takes me a minimum of 2 months to get through one of those books, and I always thought I was a quick reader... Maybe not. :P

Comment

Originally posted by thalassa View Post
                                Two of the sexiest brains in modern science: Neil and Stephen
                                That's funny...

I'm reading the exact opposite - essays and research papers written by 9th grade students.
                                Every moment of a life is a horrible tragedy, a slapstick comedy, dark nihilism, golden illumination, or nothing at all; depending on how we write the story we tell ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                                X